Conboy is a tool

DevilDom

WheresWally said:
Chris said:
especially when you throw in the other bans he's already got this season.
The other bans don't matter, this wasn't a repeat offence so there's nothing previous to go on. I thought that was established with the Keefe penalty down here in Cardiff?

Hanson never said it was a repeat offence, but there was a previous case to go on, the one of Campbell.....oh and it seems other players have a view on this incident......taken from twitter :- Mike Egener ‏@ScRaMbLeDeggs26
Andrew Conboy is an absolute embarrassment to the EIHL. 12 games isn't enough..kick him out of the league! This guys a joke.
Egener knows a few players that are an embarrassment to the EIHL having played with them last season. The only embarrassment is the way the cheapshot giants players reacted. It''s Hockey not football.

Ocko

Tad# said:
Sounds like Pope wants to keep him by the latest statement. Great news for the rest of the league then.
I can understand why though. He probably is a popular member of the team and the last thing the team need right now is someone getting the sack and no replacement for 12 games either, just seeing an empty seat in the dressing room is a bit demoralising. On top of the dressing room aspect there is also the upheaval for his flat mate. Little things like that could make a big difference to our already precarious situation. Whilst far from ideal the ban is still a better aspect than having nobody at all.

And in 12 games then what? We are already looking for a D man and are probably finding that hard enough without looking for a enforcer who can play the game too. If we sacked Conboy in 12 games times the best enforcer who can play and without a club will probably be Conboy.

Ocko said:
Tad# said:
Sounds like Pope wants to keep him by the latest statement. Great news for the rest of the league then.
I can understand why though. He probably is a popular member of the team and the last thing the team need right now is someone getting the sack and no replacement for 12 games either, just seeing an empty seat in the dressing room is a bit demoralising. On top of the dressing room aspect there is also the upheaval for his flat mate. Little things like that could make a big difference to our already precarious situation. Whilst far from ideal the ban is still a better aspect than having nobody at all.

And in 12 games then what? We are already looking for a D man and are probably finding that hard enough without looking for a enforcer who can play the game too. If we sacked Conboy in 12 games times the best enforcer who can play and without a club will probably be Conboy.
Don't see how he would be popular. In a tough place now and he chooses to me it harder for everyone around him. Again might I add. He's offered very little on the ice from what I've seen. Worth a punt at another player. Least one capable of staying out the box for 10 minutes.

DevilDom

Tad# said:
He's offered very little on the ice from what I've seen. Worth a punt at another player. Least one capable of staying out the box for 10 minutes.
He has actually been very good in the last few games he has played. However, the truth of the matter is more likely that we can't afford to replace him even if Ragan / Pope wanted to.

DevilDom said:
Tad# said:
He's offered very little on the ice from what I've seen. Worth a punt at another player. Least one capable of staying out the box for 10 minutes.
He has actually been very good in the last few games he has played. However, the truth of the matter is more likely that we can't afford to replace him even if Ragan / Pope wanted to.
Also makes me wonder, would Pope/PR know where to start with getting new players?

.....oh and it seems other players have a view on this incident......taken from twitter :- Mike Egener ‏@ScRaMbLeDeggs26
Andrew Conboy is an absolute embarrassment to the EIHL. 12 games isn't enough..kick him out of the league! This guys a joke.
Is that the same Mike Egener who threw a punch at the Devils bench coach?

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.......and all that.

Wagstaff

Back in the day when Andrew Conboy had only head butted a Swede, people on here said they wanted to give him a chance and he should learn from his mistake, but he seems to be going through the whole rule book one learning the rules mistake at a time.
The kid has talent on the ice, but how long can you pay someone to watch from the stands for, leaving the rest of the team playing short, why can't he just do the traditional thing and drop the gloves, surely that's the sort of toughness you need, with a 5 min penalty not game or match almost every game?

Wagstaff said:
Back in the day when Andrew Conboy had only head butted a Swede, people on here said they wanted to give him a chance and he should learn from his mistake, but he seems to be going through the whole rule book one learning the rules mistake at a time.
The kid has talent on the ice, but how long can you pay someone to watch from the stands for, leaving the rest of the team playing short, why can't he just do the traditional thing and drop the gloves, surely that's the sort of toughness you need, with a 5 min penalty not game or match almost every game?
He got banned for doing that as well didn't he :( :lol:

Wagstaff

Soundwave1 said:
Wagstaff said:
To be honest I think he now has the same issue as Benn Olson last year where he will be picked up for sneezing too loud, more than one time last year Benn was given. 2 mins for being Benn Olson (although he got away with quite a few unnoticed!) but Andrew Conboys antics can't go unnoticed.
Have to say that the highlights video shows the ref totally disinterested when the giant is pointing out that there's something going on and appears to give the penalty due to the bench pressure from the giants, but Hanson has the benefit of hindsight in the form of video evidence, surely the referees should be taken to task for mismanagement of the game (the same applies for leaving your lad unconscious on the ice in the keefe incident which happened straight in front of the Lino?)

Wagstaff said:
Soundwave1 said:
Wagstaff said:
To be honest I think he now has the same issue as Benn Olson last year where he will be picked up for sneezing too loud, more than one time last year Benn was given. 2 mins for being Benn Olson (although he got away with quite a few unnoticed!) but Andrew Conboys antics can't go unnoticed.
Have to say that the highlights video shows the ref totally disinterested when the giant is pointing out that there's something going on and appears to give the penalty due to the bench pressure from the giants, but Hanson has the benefit of hindsight in the form of video evidence, surely the referees should be taken to task for mismanagement of the game (the same applies for leaving your lad unconscious on the ice in the keefe incident which happened straight in front of the Lino?)
Refereeing quality is certainly a key issue. It plays such a big part in the product on offer as well as the league's credibility to fans. Until the clubs start to take the issue seriously and invest in proper training it won't improve sadly.

ASHIPP

Whether Andrew's actions were insane or sensible....or whether the league punishment is harsh or justified is completely irrelevant now.

The FACTS are:

Conboy will miss a further 12 games for the Devils whilst they are already shortbenched therefore offering no useful on ice contribution to the team.

The Club tells us its trying to operate as a viable business controlling its budget! HELLO !! A large chunk of the player budget will be sitting out for 6 weeks not making any contribution to the team. And all that time we desperately need a new defenceman and possibly a temporary cover for Smithy whilst he recovers.

We are told the Club is hugely ambitious for on ice success....well taking appropriate action NOW might stop that phrase from sounding so idiotic. There will be little success with a shortbenched fatigued team with injuries.
Get us some additional players....and give our team a fighting chance.

Otherwise its going to be year 3 of exactly the same failed promises.

ASHIPP said:
Whether Andrew's actions were insane or sensible....or whether the league punishment is harsh or justified is completely irrelevant now.

The FACTS are:

Conboy will miss a further 12 games for the Devils whilst they are already shortbenched therefore offering no useful on ice contribution to the team.

The Club tells us its trying to operate as a viable business controlling its budget! HELLO !! A large chunk of the player budget will be sitting out for 6 weeks not making any contribution to the team.
And all that time we desperately need a new defenceman and possibly a temporary cover for Smithy whilst he recovers.

We are told the Club is hugely ambitious for on ice success....well taking appropriate action NOW might stop that phrase from sounding so idiotic. There will be little success with a shortbenched fatigued team with injuries.
Get us some additional players....and give our team a fighting chance.

Otherwise its going to be year 3 of exactly the same failed promises.
I suspect it would cost more to bring in a new player if they sack Conboy...

James

Administrator
Conboy flight out, new import flight in, ITC cards, new kit vs £250 or whatever it is to appeal a ban ? It's a no-brainer to keep him.

This is what i said in the other Conboy thread:

"I like Andrew, however he has played exactly half of our 20 games (According to Elite Prospects) and will miss a further 11 games.
We need a player who can play all our games not play one week and miss the net.
I think Andrew is a good player but by getting suspended from the majority of our games, he is becoming a liability. Weather he is being targeted etc. the statistics are there."

I just think we are paying him not to play at the minute

osh

James said:
Conboy flight out, new import flight in, ITC cards, new kit vs £250 or whatever it is to appeal a ban ? It's a no-brainer to keep him.

Conboy flight out ; would have to pay for a flight at the end of season anyway, so already allowed for ?
New import flight in ( return ticket £500 - 600 ? )
New kit - haven't a clue, however, don't forget if Conboy goes ( which he isn't ) we would have saved approx a full months wages, so. not really an obvious 'no brainer' ??

James

Administrator
osh said:
Conboy flight out ; would have to pay for a flight at the end of season anyway, so already allowed for ?
New import flight in ( return ticket £500 - 600 ? )
New kit - haven't a clue, however, don't forget if Conboy goes ( which he isn't ) we would have saved approx a full months wages, so. not really an obvious 'no brainer' ??
If Conboy goes how will we have saved a months wages? We'd need to pay the new import?