Conboy Gassed!

jester said:
Kerry said:
jester said:
How does it open up a playing spot?
I suppose it depends on how the league treat it.

With other players in the past, if a player has left the ban goes with them. With Campbell , Hull have had to play short but is that due to a new ruling or because of the total amount games banned they thought it needed being partially served....if that makes sense ??

Maybe the league have said if we release Conboy the ban then goes with him and the club are clear to sign someone else.
Dont think thats true, i beleive Nottingham did it years ago but the loophole was closed. Campbells ban was nearly a season long ban which is why i expect hull are allowed to sign a replacement, after playing short for 15 games
I'm not sure, you could be right. On the other hand how can you make one team sit out their full ban but let another sign someone after only a few games ?

As I said I am not exactly sure how it works.....time will tell I suppose.

Koop11

Given the current circumstances, I can understand this move by the club. Conboy has played very few games for the club because of a number of penalty and suspensions (some dubious I would add) and yet he demands a pretty high wage as an recently ex AHLer. We have had problems both ends of the ice (scoring and conceding). We have taken steps to address our forward play with the signings of Morrosette and Kruka. What is very evident and certainly apparent on Sunday is the problems we have at the back. Hard working but little depth and regardless of Smith being injured, there ideally needs to be an addition. This move by the club allows for this.

Whether not we can ice a replacement player for a suspended one is another matter but in the meantime there is a huge saving to be made with the immediate exit of Conboy. With very low crowds this season due to a very poor early start and political crap being splashed in our faces, every penny counts.

Where the club have once again shot themselves in the foot is the contradictory press release. It looks very armature.

I thought Conboy had something about him and you don’t play AHL if you can’t play hockey. I’m disappointed not to have seen more of him but much of that he has to take responsibility for. I wish Andrew all the very best for the future.

so....... the club announce that they are staying loyal to conboy and now they've let him go. i really dont understand what the club are doing this season, its become a complete and utter joke!

Ahahahaha what a total pr disaster... we will stay loyal to conboy... 8 days later bye bye mr conboy. Just sums up the devils at the minute... what a con... (boy)

As many have suggested AC has been a marked man since the pre-season game against Esjberg.

Some of AC's actions can't be condoned, but of late, he was showing signs of what he can do on the ice. How Moray Hanson concocted attempted eye gouging from the evidence that was in the public domain is a mystery by itself. Deliberate attempts to injure, occasioning significant injury get off virtually scott free by comparison - it is a Sick Joke!

At the of the day AC's an ice hockey player and wants to do what he does best - play a very physical style of hockey - which let's face it isn't welcomed by the stripey's in this league and even less so at the Ivory Towers.

Having been led to believe that Cardiff wanted a Physical no nonsense power forward (in the BV mold) AC probably thought I'm your man, but the stripes and Ivory Towers are turning this "Elite league" into a Muppet Show.

For what it's worth, I think the wording of last weeks press release regarding the period of consolidation and no more players in and out - smoking gun with hole in foot. The public are wise enough to understand that in business things change (not always out of choice), so maybe the next press release should be less "matter of fact" and more open to change if circumstances change - it leaves the management open to accusations of not knowing what's going on in the business they run.

Thank you Andrew for giving this league a go - very sorry it hasn't worked out for you - good luck to you in the future. I am sure his signature will be welcomed in a league played & officiated by people that understand the rules of Ice Hockey

DevilDom

Hynod said:
Kipper said:
Confused.com thought we were staying loyal to him
Guess someone realised that we may need a D man after all and AC has been used to cover up that error?
Spot on.

My guess would be rushing Mark Smith back because someone cocked up (again) was probably seen as a little unwise.

The circus continues....................

osh

In view of Mark Smith's injury and especially in the way our. D was exposed last game, it doesn't really surprise me the he has been gassed ( or perhaps he wanted to leave as has been suggested)
I think the previous announcement to stay loyal was a genuine one, then along comes the injury that keeps Smith out for a good few weeks, so they had to re think things and it was a no brainer to keep him here on wasted high wages almost through to Christmas.

It really is a pity to see him leave as I fully expected him to be a dominating D man when first hearing of his signing. He can certainly play and got the rough end of the EIHL ruling with his last ban in my opinion. So, who will they bring in? Let the guessing game commence ;)

DevilDom

kettdevil1 said:
Presumably this will be for a D man but.......

This is a complete and utter shambles of a situation. What is going on? I actually agreed with the club's decision to stand by Conboy as the whole situation reminded me of Voth's early days but to go back on it now makes us (even more of) a laughing stock...... How can we be taken seriously when we stand by a player and then reverse that decision within two weeks?

Conboy is a marked man but.....he was a marked man two weeks ago...... Again, what has changed?? I feel desperately sorry for him but more than that, I am angry with the way things are being done. It all smacks of amateur hour and our club has never been like that.

Things must change.

Good luck to Andrew, I have no doubts he will pick up a roster spot very soon and heaven help the person coming into this club.....

Really not happy.
Sums up my feelings pretty well, although I've gone passed getting angry. I actually laughed when I read the press release after last week's one.

Not really suprised Conboy has been released,It would only be a matter of time before he'd pick up another ban of some sort(Not necessarily his fault) at Hansons pleasure. I wouldn't blame him if he had decided to leave as its clear he would be a marked man going forward.Big shame that we didn't really get to see him play his style of game, Though I'm looking forward to seeing who we will bring in,Just hope he plays on D!

Sheincar

jodysstillagirlsname said:
From Wales Online

'American forward Conboy still has 11 matches of his ban to sit out, but Pope has pledged to players that there will not be any more changes to the team following the arrival of the new import player'

Should give the players some confidence in their job security
Welcome to the Hokey Cokey Cardiff Devils

nicky27

Just totally embarrassed at the way we have been made to look this season. Fully expect to turn up to rink on weekend and see Brent playing (would not put anything past this club this year!)

Wannabe2

I personnally have written off this season, I think things are a lot deeper rooted than a change here and a change there. 9th in the league is a whole new experience to most of us, although we dont have any god given right to be higher. For me now its about simply watching hockey, due to fact I have paid for it .Although I still pay by direct debit, but I still cant find it in me to cancel 3 ST, s for some strange and weird reason more stupid me. The Devils are in a poor place at the moment, and thats a great shame for such a once proud club. Sorry about the negativity, but believe it or not I care. Lets hope somehow things change for the benefit of everyone.

Jon

Wannabe2 said:
I personnally have written off this season, I think things are a lot deeper rooted than a change here and a change there. 9th in the league is a whole new experience to most of us, although we dont have any god given right to be higher. For me now its about simply watching hockey, due to fact I have paid for it .Although I still pay by direct debit, but I still cant find it in me to cancel 3 ST, s for some strange and weird reason more stupid me. The Devils are in a poor place at the moment, and thats a great shame for such a once proud club. Sorry about the negativity, but believe it or not I care. Lets hope somehow things change for the benefit of everyone.
I think that's a fair post Glynne and you certainly won't be alone in thinking that.

Wannabe2 said:
I've been leaving the tent feeling totally disappointed for most of the season. It's out club though and we've got to take the bad times We can't just give up, if we all withdraw our ST's the only thing to suffer will be the future of the club.
It's not a good time but I'm sure things will be learnt and will improve, we've got to stick with it.

Wannabe2 said:
it is my first season as a ST holder but I agree with you...