Check to the Head

Koop11

Thread starter #1
Could someone please clarify the penalty for check to the head? Unless I have it wrong, I was lead to believe that a check to the head constitutes an automatic 3 match suspension unless of course a review of such an incident downgrades the penalty.

I ask because I note from the Elite League report on the Steelers v Capitals game on Saturday, it suggested that Tyler Michel was ejected on a 5 plus game for checking to the head.

Isn't there a difference between "Checking" to the head and "Cross-Checking" to the head.
It depends on what the ref called or how it was seen on review

dave

Here you go....can range from 2-10 to a match

CHECKING TO THE HEAD AND NECK AREA.
a) A player who directs a check or blow, with any part of his body, to the head and
neck area of an opposing player or ”drives” or ”forces” the head of an opposing
player into the protective glass on boards, shall be assessed, at the discretion of
the Referee, a:
➤ Minor penalty + Automatic Misconduct penalty (2’+10’)
or
➤ Major penalty + Automatic Game Misconduct penalty (5’+GM)
or
➤ Match Penalty (MP)
b) A player who injures an opponent as a result of checking to the head and neck
area shall be assessed a
➤ Match Penalty (MP)

dave

Steve56 said:
Isn't there a difference between "Checking" to the head and "Cross-Checking" to the head.
It depends on what the ref called or how it was seen on review

Nope a cross checking action to the neck/head area is called as Checking to the head and not cross checking.... From there the ref will decide on which of the 3 penalties to hand out..