Changes Required ...

Thread starter #1
I don't think the Big 3 Defensive D-Men are working. Distribution from all 3 is awful at times and puts us in difficult situations. I think MacIver is the worst of the bunch and gets too distracted by personal on-ice vendettas (twice tonight) instead of actually concentrating on the play. Unfortunately, Andersson isn't a great signing in my opinion so we have almost zero creativity from the back.

I'd like to see one of the 3 Big Men cut (preferably MacIver) and get Tyson back (to help out in the Points Department). We don't need 3 huge D-Men and I feel this is going to restrict us this season.

Speaking of points, every time I watch Hinks I feel he's not upto it !

I think 'G' has needs a couple of one-on-one conversations this week !!!!!!!!! :roll:

lets not be too hasty. surely you remember last year with everyone screaming for deschatelets head then he turned out as the top point scorer in the end?

I think its pretty absurd that a player like Tyson is still without a team when you look at some of the players we are icing! There have been fans who said that loyalty counts and Tyson chose to leave and we should give the new guys a chance, yes loyalty counts but so does skill. Some of them have had their chance to prove their place on the team and they are just not impressing, its time to move on.
And we're in desperate need of a sniper!

Flames24 said:
I think its pretty absurd that a player like Tyson is still without a team when you look at some of the players we are icing! There have been fans who said that loyalty counts and Tyson chose to leave and we should give the new guys a chance, yes loyalty counts but so does skill. Some of them have had their chance to prove their place on the team and they are just not impressing, its time to move on.
And we're in desperate need of a sniper!
Please correct me if I am wrong but Tyson was in a team last season that started badly and then went on a winning run until the injuries hit. So let the new guys get the chance that Tyson had then when we were terrible defensively.

Hartwick didn t look himself and perhaps it was a knock on effect from yesterdays illness. Tonight the team didn t capitalise on our early lead, the Blaze don t like it up them, giving up the goal before the break gave them the confidence they needed if they had gone in to the break at zip it would have been a different game

Hartwick was not the only member of the team to be ill yesterday. Yes, he was the worst affected by sickness but several members of the team have also been ill. Can't have helped this evening.

Still too early in the season in my opinion to be deciding on changes in the players.

A

Anonymous

Nitra said:
Hartwick was not the only member of the team to be ill yesterday. Yes, he was the worst affected by sickness but several members of the team have also been ill. Can't have helped this evening.

Still too early in the season in my opinion to be deciding on changes in the players.
They didn't look very ill in the first period or the last 10 minutes. This illness must have been hanging around for weeks! Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Flames24 said:
I think its pretty absurd that a player like Tyson is still without a team when you look at some of the players we are icing!
With the respect, isn't the reason he is without a team because he wants to move to a better club. It isn't that nobody wants him. I'm sure plenty of teams in the EIHL would have put offers to him but he wants to play at a higher level. Going back to Cardiff would be the easy move but also a backward step.

wildthing74

Got to agree.The two you mentioned are blatantly the two who are struggling and Hinks in particular brings nothing to the team.
It's easy to say "give them a chance"but at times you got to see what's in front of you and we can all see that Maciver for all that he can drop the gloves is very imobile and struggles with anybody with even limited pace and never looks confident on the puck either.Think it would not be so bad if we had no other big guys but the fact we have Jarvis and Hardwick of similar size also,he stands out head and shoulders as being the worst of the lot.

For me, the one thing this teams lacked is an inspirational leader. A Mcewen, Metulik, Ware, Adams etc. Someone who could turn the game around by sheer effort of will and work rate. I know we are mising Voth but no-one stepped up last night. I felt Aubrey should have left the crease and challenged for the puck from where I was sitting in block 9, on the Blaze first goal. But then he's never been a favorite of mine.

James

Administrator
It looked like Hinks was benched in the third and only let back on the ice in the last few minutes. I'm sure G is well aware of what needs to be done.

Rempel16

How people can say Maciver is the weak link is beyond me. His position is quality, he's so big that the winger has to go round him on the outside every time, and more often than not his reach is good enough to stop them.

The weak link is Stone. This season is definitely one to many. It would be interesting to see his +- stats because he always seems to be on the ice when we concede 5on5. He takes ridiculous pens too. I think G should give him a 'thanks for your service', no.10 to the rafters and bring back Symonds.
If not, just use him sparingly as a 5th d-man, not rotate him in all game every game

Chris

Administrator
Think i'm with Remple16 on this one. I'm not convinced it's our 'big 3' defencemen who are the problem here, they don't seem overly slow to me, and the reach on them seems more than enough to disrupt the puck movement.

Stone on the other hand just seems so inconsistent :( At the playoffs last year or maybe the year before he played an absolute blinder, but his only tactic at the moment seems to be clearing the puck which leads to icing, or giving away the puck. On another night he seems to play amazingly, I just can't work him out.

Hinks definately seems a step backwards, I know we're on a reduced wagecap, but there's got to be players out there who can actually score and look fit enough to be playing the game who could command the same wages as Hinks?

Give it another few weeks and i'd like to see some changes, I don't think Adams is particularly to blame, but as the coach he's going to have to do something.

Chris.

yea i agree the big 3 aint the problem, there was a lot of additional times last night in front of net where the blaze could have scored if it wasnt for good work by them clearing the puck.

Fair enough it was my first Devils game of the season last night, but there are definitely a few issues that need addressing IMO.

Negatives:
Clearing the zone - I counted 3 Cov goals that could have been avoided with better passes into the neutral zone. But they were picked off and turned into 2 or 3 on 1's, and scored.
Aubry - looks shakey as hell.
Andersson - 1 point from 8(?) games for an offensive defenseman aint the best (and it's not like he was particularly good at defending last night.) Reminds me of Rod Sarich and that isn't a good thing...
Stoney - legend, but I think he needs to wind down the shifts.
Hinks - overweight and over rated (so far). The captaincy should be given to MacIver IMO.

Positives:
Hilly - Why he didn't play like that for Shuff I'll never know! :lol:
Towe.
MacIver - very mobile for a big lad. Can be a Steve Munn for the Devils. Shame about his 2 silly penalties though.
Prpich - very impressive.

It could be worse...

Just echoing some of the comment, I think stoney looked very slow, not positionally sound and gave away stupid holding pens!!!!! Hartwick I thought played terrible, gave away alot of silly and simple passes and icing the puck way 2 often... Hinks looks like he has bags of skill and is quite strong on the puck but it just isnt happening for him.... Likit has come in with a reputation as an offensive d-man but has pretty much done nothing since hes come in.... Personally i think maciver is very reliable and solid at the back, wouldnt change him, jarvis is pretty consistent and showed some offensive qualities last night..... All in all, Hinks isnt doing the job hes been brought in to do and neither is Likit!!! G its up to you, theres a quality player who hasnt got a club at the moment and is proven in this league........ Thats my take on things

I think that having 2 big D men on the ice at the same time is not working. We need a big hard hitting one to move anyone standing infront of our goalie, and a smaller mobile one to chase the puck around the our net. Also we need another centreman.

Boy, have we got problems!
1. Inferior Brits. Apart from two seasons ago when we had players who were stick handlers and skaters ( Richardson, Cowley and Sample ) our boys simply deflect it or dump it....to simply use up time.....or lose it before they can do either. Last night we lined up several times, Hill, Cowmeadow, Francis and Stone against, Stewart, Cowley, Moore and Weaver. Yes - I appreciate the effort put in by these players......but they are out of their depth.
2. Acquisition of a defence with no speed. There is not one player who can skate the puck out. Even the much maligned (by Blaze fans) Leclair did it regularly to good effect. All the better teams can do it....there's Weaver, Neilson, Sarich etc etc.......even the youngsters from the Caps can do it. We have Jarvis....and he does just what the Bison fans said he would.......lose the puck to the first guy he meets. He's another Darby ( but not so much fun !)
3. Choice of Hinks as captain. We lose Voth......now who can we have to inspire, motivate...who can, by his own performances. set an example of skill, speed and commitment. And the player who is struggling the most to contribute anything - get's the job !!!
Feel sorry for:
Campbell, Prpich, Silverthorn. For me these boys are good enough. They have skills ...and a terrific commitment to match.

DevilDom

I agree with the comments about Hinks - I've been struggling to see what he brings. In the 1st period it was Pprich, Campbell, Silverthon and in my view Jarvis that played so well and put us in such a strong position.

Aubrey should have come out for the first Blaze goal but can't be blamed for the defensive mistake that put him in that position.

In the 2nd period MacIvaer was awful and Hartwick when AWOL. There was nobody there to add some backbone when it was needed, although I thought Franny tried to put in some good hits and was used too little along with the whole of the 3rd line in the 2nd period.