Change?

KaneDevils

I agree being 4th place isnt a bad position to be in but... osaer leaving wasnt his choice
pr being attacked... not sure what that has to do with performance
g being attacked... by who? devils fans hero is all i've seen. And again not performance related.
We don't know the real reasons behind Osaer leaving (do we??) but some people choose to blame PR for his departure. Some have had a pop at G, suggesting that we are not actually looking at making a new signing and it was all a big fat lie that we were. Negativity can have a damning effect. It's also needless and tiring.

voth26

Lp 1 said:
4th place I think will be a great achievement!

It is still nice to see the fans turning up to matches and the majority shouting for their team

All I'm saying is that we haven't won anything for the last couple of seasons, as the saying goes, always the bridesmaid never the bride.

I think a little shake up would be healthy for the club, obviously not now as our season is over, but come summer maybe?
Who would you suggest the club bring in if they have a little shake up and G was to leave, not suggesting that i want G to leave just to be clear

Chris

Administrator
Finny said:
However, I think the last couple of seasons have proved that whilst we are in the BBT we won't have the finances to challenge for the league title but may be able to up our games enough for the cup or playoffs. So perhaps it would be best to go back a couple of years in terms of recruitment and sign a physical team which will dominate games in our own rink but get exposed away from home.
I don't think that would be such a bad move, the team featuring Maciver and the real Derek Campbell wasn't all that bad to watch I don't think. I think I went into the games against the arena teams knowing that whilst we'd probably lose, the games would at least be exciting.

I don't know what the crowds were like that season, but an entertaining team rather than a competitive team next season might help our average attendance out a bit as the gamesheets are showing it's swinging quite alarmingly this season.

Plus next season when i'm stuck in Coventry it'll give me an incentive to watch us punch our way out of the Skydome :D

Wannabe2 said:
Dai Vader said:
Wannabe2 said:
Yes i suggest you dont try to knock the team when they are down, who the hell are you going to change when the signing deadline has gone anyway,we are what we are at the moment. The present shortbenched team are doing there best, we are in a bad place at the moment, and the last thing the team need is us getting on to them. I am sure you dont like my reply, but you asked for suggestions and thats mine.
I don't the fan was trying to knock the team in anyway, think you need a chill pill Glynne, just saying :DWD
Send me one and i will surely take it, just cheesed off with people coming out of the woodwork to knock us when we are surely down, thats not a dig at LP but at the numerous people who post there first post just to kick us when we are down. Yes things aint clever at the moment, and i am as fed up as anyone else, but we cant change anyone anyway, so whats the alternative get behind who we have or knock it on the head. Send that pill soon please.
Not sure many of us are excited by this season, this is another disappointing season with suspension and injuries - being short benched and now injuries to Mac and Hilly.

I'm sure the players are more disappointed than the fans! Yes, at times i think a few haven't turned up for games and 1 player has frustrated me all season but then goes to GB, but overall and especially recently the players have worked their socks off and are playing increasingly longer shifts and getting battered around the ice - and like Stu getting sly punches in the back from Ferguson whilst trying to get to his bench!

Don't think the fans constantly criticising help! The players are under immense pressure, they are professional to want to win and talking to them are gutted when we don't! Their confidence is at a low and like most things the harder you try the more mistakes you make!

I can't believe how negative the BBT is at the moment, from the moment people walk in they moan. The atmosphere in the old rink wasn't like this and fans supported the team, if the team were struggling the fans support was louder and spurred the team on. The players always mentioned how passionate the fans were and how loud the rink was, sadly its not like that anymore!

As for G and Franny, they've worked incredibly hard to bring players in, think with the NHL re-starting that hasn't helped us and do we want another player to come in who's not fit and for us to moan further?! Feel sorry for the guys to be playing so short benched and not really having an enforcer, but would love to get the atmosphere back in the rink and support the team!

Diafol

oldblock4 said:
I can't believe how negative the BBT is at the moment, from the moment people walk in they moan. The atmosphere in the old rink wasn't like this and fans supported the team, if the team were struggling the fans support was louder and spurred the team on. The players always mentioned how passionate the fans were and how loud the rink was, sadly its not like that anymore!
Don't the professionals say that poor housing can contribute to all sorts of other problems in life ?

Maybe it's the same for hockey teams...

Diafol said:
Don't the professionals say that poor housing can contribute to all sorts of other problems in life ?

Maybe it's the same for hockey teams...
That's definitely true. But are you suggesting we report Planet Ice to Shelter Cymru?

I joke of course. But the end is in sight. Soon we'll speak fondly of the place, like ex-pats on the Costa Del Sol.

Don't take this as a criticism, merely an observation as a non-Devils fan but I think you guys do very well with the resources you have and in a league where the finishing position of the team generally relates to the teams attendances, it could be argued that with an average attendance of just over 1400, you are punching above your weight.

Coventry in comparison have an average of just over 2000.

sparkymark75 said:
Don't take this as a criticism, merely an observation as a non-Devils fan but I think you guys do very well with the resources you have and in a league where the finishing position of the team generally relates to the teams attendances, it could be argued that with an average attendance of just over 1400, you are punching above your weight.

Coventry in comparison have an average of just over 2000.
Damn you Sparkymark75 for speaking sense..... :)

I'm with you...I think we do/have done OK.

Of course I'd love us to do much better, but we have had some shocking luck over the last two seasons, but I will continue to hope that things will improve.

All the guys busted a gut last night. There were some serioulsy long shifts going on for the majority of our senior players. They summed why I love this sport and will continue to support the Devils.

We need an info graphic created looking at a comparison between average attendance and league position. Where can i find this info for the last couple of seasons?

Finny

Mark666 said:
We need an info graphic created looking at a comparison between average attendance and league position. Where can i find this info for the last couple of seasons?
I would have it. Somewhere.
But you would have to ask really, really nicely.

Finny

Anyway, I'm not sure how people wanted this so I have produced last seasons final table based on points per 1000 fans:

Cardiff: 54
Braehead: 34
Coventry: 34
Sheffield: 24
Belfast: 23
Fife: 19
Nottingham: 17

(Couldn't include Dundee, Hull or Edin as they averaged under 1000 last season).

DevilDom

No critiscising because these are very interesting stats however its not really a fair comparison because our budget is assisted by the fact we do not pay for ice rental abeit in a venue that does not assist us attracting new fans. In addition the MBA places mean we are able to sign players we would not be able to afford based on revenue from fans alone.

Paul Sullivan

Edinburgh, Nottingham, Sheffield, Belfast and Coventry all have Uni deals that I know of, I am sure there are more.

Whilst it is a meaningless stat in the real world, it is very interesting to see. Kind of like boxing's 'pound for pound' system.