Challenge cup

Kevin roog

This is where we normally get the “ let’s have a fa cup style format “ I think Swindon v Belfast would be a tight contest with only 70 goals scored ha ha

Earnie

The League did not need a survey to learn about our feelings about the Challenge Cup format. We have been on about it for years and they take no notice.

E.D.S.

I just don't get why they over complicate it.... make it a pre-season thing. Get all the games out of the way, including the final and everyone is prepped and ready for the league, which is the main priority. 8 teams qualifying out of 10 is perfect for pre-season but a joke for what is supposed to be a credible tournament.

pjj365

I just don't get why they over complicate it.... make it a pre-season thing. Get all the games out of the way, including the final and everyone is prepped and ready for the league, which is the main priority. 8 teams qualifying out of 10 is perfect for pre-season but a joke for what is supposed to be a credible tournament.
It could be so simple
10 teams matched by draw from a hat/carrier bag!. Play H&A aggregate scores- draws allowed (no OT or SO). 3 points win1 point draw (or even no aggregation 3 points away win, 2 points home 1 draw) Teams ranked -p oints the same then count goal difference. Bottom 2 drop out
Move to knock out - draw remaining 8 then remaining 4. Play H&A aggregate scores, OT/SO to decide winner
Massive loss of revenue for some clubs but I believe a more credible format

moggy#9

There's no excuse for the final begging at the end of the season. At least if it were over early it would be a test of teams getting their recruitment right, not allowing Belfast to sign another dozen players to fix their issues.

Mooney#16

Polite request for all. When Devils pitch up in Belfast on 11th November and get humped can we please acknowledge already they have been set up to fail again. Whoever does these fixtures is driving me nuts and for want of a better term is thick as mince for not learning from previous mistakes.

Devils notoriously suck in late October / Early November and you throw in 13 games in 30 days at an average game every 2.3 days with the last of the lot being Giants away. Giants. Of all the teams to go to you pick Giants. Taking points out of Belfast is vital to having a go at winning the league and you fall into that trap again.

That should send the team to the Conti Cup on a high a week later also.

Belfast by comparison go into that fixture with 9 in 30 and a 5 day break prior. If I was one of the Devils players I would be highly pissed off at this one. Proper dumb.

moggy#9

Polite request for all. When Devils pitch up in Belfast on 11th November and get humped can we please acknowledge already they have been set up to fail again. Whoever does these fixtures is driving me nuts and for want of a better term is thick as mince for not learning from previous mistakes.

Devils notoriously suck in late October / Early November and you throw in 13 games in 30 days at an average game every 2.3 days with the last of the lot being Giants away. Giants. Of all the teams to go to you pick Giants. Taking points out of Belfast is vital to having a go at winning the league and you fall into that trap again.

That should send the team to the Conti Cup on a high a week later also.

Belfast by comparison go into that fixture with 9 in 30 and a 5 day break prior. If I was one of the Devils players I would be highly pissed off at this one. Proper dumb.
I can't believe that Todd apparently pitches up at the fixture meeting and agrees to this crap. The likes of Belfast and Sheffield always get away with this stuff.

I've always said that I feel Belfast take the p*** with bending the rules to their own convenience.

matbur

No need for the Challenge Cup full stop.

Format is painful and distracts from regular season. There are not enough teams to warrant having three separate trophies each season.

I understand it generates revenue for the teams but just incorporate additional games into the regular season. Just an absolute waste of time.

kettdevil1

No need for the Challenge Cup full stop.

Format is painful and distracts from regular season. There are not enough teams to warrant having three separate trophies each season.

I understand it generates revenue for the teams but just incorporate additional games into the regular season. Just an absolute waste of time.
Actually I think there is a need for a Cup as it allows teams that might not be in with a shout of the league the opportunity to go for something else, it's just the format is awful.

I know this has been said before but an early season competition makes sense on lots of levels. I would be tempted to use it as a trial for any rule changes so that it would have a slightly different feel. Get the final done and dusted before Christmas and we then focus on the league.

I also think that a 'Magic Weekend' style set of match ups would be great. Have them as extra games so nobody loses gate revenue and has all 10 teams play over two days.
Saturday
1pm Fife v Dundee
4.30pm Belfast v Glasgow
8pm Nottingham v Sheffield
Sunday
2pm Coventry v Manchester
5.30pm Cardiff v Guildford

There .... sorted

Ejercito Rojas

If it wasn’t on the season ticket I wouldn’t attend the Challenge Cup games, in fact I’ll probably give most of them a miss anyway!
I can’t get enthusiastic about a competition that’s set up for a guaranteed mid week final in Belfast!

tim78

If it wasn’t on the season ticket I wouldn’t attend the Challenge Cup games, in fact I’ll probably give most of them a miss anyway!
I can’t get enthusiastic about a competition that’s set up for a guaranteed mid week final in Belfast!
Never a finer word spoke, sorry Ejercito to jump on the band wagon.

Definitely needs some invitation teams to enter even if they perform their games in a single weekend.

Kevin roog

I hate the challenge cup group games being on my season tickets and not even playing the Lyon baguettes or the Leeds who Evers would change that, it’s still a boring group game

James

Administrator
I think thats part of the reason. Before they were on the season ticket, even the semi's were low attendance and people would only turn out if we got to the final.

Kevin roog

It would be fair enough if we just played Guildford and Coventry once home and away but twice is raking the piss, imagine in the football europa league or champions league if you played your group games and then you had to play the same teams again , it would be a laughing stock , not to mention his boring

Swarley

I don't get why they haven't just changed it so if you win the challenge cup you're then automatically unable to compete for it next season so it negates the chance of back to back trebles and gives teams a decent shot at at least one trophy