Challenge cup final

moggy#9

Thread starter #1
So can we all now laugh at the Steelers? Well done to fife though. I suppose that Belfast will cut this as evidence that their group wasn't so weak after all.

With Belfast hosting the final, their destruction of Guildford and the way they always get a favourable run in, the ice seems to be tilting towards the giants. Their organisation certainly seems to know how to game every situation to their advantage.

Hedd Wyn John

So can we all now laugh at the Steelers? Well done to fife though. I suppose that Belfast will cut this as evidence that their group wasn't so weak after all.

With Belfast hosting the final, their destruction of Guildford and the way they always get a favourable run in, the ice seems to be tilting towards the giants. Their organisation certainly seems to know how to game every situation to their advantage.
You've gotta play whats in front of you. Steelers had Fife on the ropes and took their foot off the gas thinking they were home and dry. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Yes Giants have had an easier run in the challenge cup but the Devils didn't play anywhere near good enough to make it through so we can't complain.

While it would be nice to see an underdog win for once given the gulf in the two sides I expect a comfortable win for the Giants.

moggy#9

Thread starter #3
You've gotta play whats in front of you. Steelers had Fife on the ropes and took their foot off the gas thinking they were home and dry. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Yes Giants have had an easier run in the challenge cup but the Devils didn't play anywhere near good enough to make it through so we can't complain.

While it would be nice to see an underdog win for once given the gulf in the two sides I expect a comfortable win for the Giants.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining in the slightest about the devils not being there - we simply didn't deserve to be. Having seen a bit of fife on TV the other day, they seem to be playing decent hockey. What's more frustrating to me is how Belfast are allowed to bend every situation to their advantage - not least the way the final is being staged.

The way that fox seems to keep finding new and creative ways to fail makes me think he'll be gone from Sheffield at the end of this season.

Kevin roog

it doesn’t look like Belfast are going to drop many league points either , Glasgow home Saturday , panthers Sunday at home, Glasgow haven’t win in Ireland for 5 years and Nottingham never beat anyone good apart from their bitches(us)

Gisland

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining in the slightest about the devils not being there - we simply didn't deserve to be. Having seen a bit of fife on TV the other day, they seem to be playing decent hockey. What's more frustrating to me is how Belfast are allowed to bend every situation to their advantage - not least the way the final is being staged.

The way that fox seems to keep finding new and creative ways to fail makes me think he'll be gone from Sheffield at the end of this season.

Didn't Fife come through the same group as the Giants. They finished 2nd, so the top two teams in the same group are playing in a final. And you ALWAYS complain on any subject or issue with the slightest hint of anything Giants-related.
Fife could beat any league team, as proved last night.

moggy#9

Thread starter #6
Didn't Fife come through the same group as the Giants. They finished 2nd, so the top two teams in the same group are playing in a final. And you ALWAYS complain on any subject or issue with the slightest hint of anything Giants-related.
Ah but that certainly wasn't the case early season when they group stages were played and the seedings were determined through the long and tedious group stages. Though full credit to fife for their recent performances.

Kevin roog

Well this is a devils forum where we like to moan about everything, I can’t imagine myself going on another teams forum, simply not interested, get a life man

Both Fife and Giants obviously played well and deserve the finals spots on the strength of their performances; but it's undeniable the deck was always stacked in your favour.

The reigning league champion, challenge cup champion and current top of the table, plays group stages against the three current bottom teams, who always circle that end of the table. Then they go on to play a final on home ice in front of thousands of Teal fans and the 25 Fife supporters who managed to get the time off mid-week.

Come on: if you were on the other end of that, surely it would leave a sour taste?

BostonBart22

Fox was warned before the season started, basically no silverware and your on your bike .

Finny

How many games have Fife won in Belfast in their entire history?

Gisland

Both Fife and Giants obviously played well and deserve the finals spots on the strength of their performances; but it's undeniable the deck was always stacked in your favour.

The reigning league champion, challenge cup champion and current top of the table, plays group stages against the three current bottom teams, who always circle that end of the table. Then they go on to play a final on home ice in front of thousands of Teal fans and the 25 Fife supporters who managed to get the time off mid-week.

Come on: if you were on the other end of that, surely it would leave a sour taste?
Of course it would. I was really pissed off when a CC final was played at the Devils home rink, on a Sunday afternoon at 4pm. I had no way of getting to that. BUT, crap happens. Everyone is jumping up and down, being all rightous and moralistic about how the Giants are making things happen a certain way. Surley at the pre season meetings, the format for the CC was discussed and agreed. EVERY club would have had an input and an agreement made. Knowing Steve and Todd read this forum,maybe ask a direct question. Did they know and agree to this fromat prior to the season starting.

Of course it would. I was really pissed off when a CC final was played at the Devils home rink, on a Sunday afternoon at 4pm. I had no way of getting to that. BUT, crap happens. Everyone is jumping up and down, being all rightous and moralistic about how the Giants are making things happen a certain way. Surley at the pre season meetings, the format for the CC was discussed and agreed. EVERY club would have had an input and an agreement made. Knowing Steve and Todd read this forum,maybe ask a direct question. Did they know and agree to this fromat prior to the season starting.
Not sure if you're talking about the '18 or '19 final, both on a Sunday at 4pm. A weekend, mind, the latter being on neutral ice because it was against Guildford. For the 2018 final I can't recall how we split the home/away fans, but I was present for the 2017 against Sheffield where it was 50-50, we played their intros and anthem, and the arena was made as neutral as possible. Still, same thing, right?

Why would I bother management with this? They have way more important things to deal with. Obviously the format has been agreed upon, it doesn't exactly change anything I've said.

Belfast are one of the best teams in the league who can and do win trophies off their own merit. They don't need an advantage to get into or win the Challenge Cup final; which is why it's so grating that they get one. Teams like Fife can do incredible things like reach the challenge Cup final and beat Sheffield twice to do so - but they did so AGAINST the odds. For the final, it's frustrating from a 3rd party to see BELFAST be granted a home advantage, while the inarguable underdogs are given another disadvantage.

If people pointing that out annoys you, I recommend watching your team (most likely) destroy the competition and win themselves a trophy in a couple of weeks time. Should cheer you up.

ASHIPP

The problem is, what is classed as 'neutral ice'?

No one has any idea 8 months in advance who is going to be in the Final. You could hazard a guess....but never be sure. The Skydome could have been picked for the CC Final....would we be saying then that the Blaze were gifted the advantage if they were one of the teams in the Final?

moggy#9

Thread starter #17
I wrote a post a few weeks back pointing out the likely reason why certain clubs agree to the current challenge cup format. It likely boils down to travel costs for the Scottish teams and gate receipts for Sheffield and Nottingham. Add in Belfast and their enlightened self interest and you have a majority.

I have my own views on how the dogs dinner that is the challenge cup can be turned into something worthwhile. At some point hopefully I'll find the time to post them.

moggy#9

Thread starter #18
The problem is, what is classed as 'neutral ice'?

No one has any idea 8 months in advance who is going to be in the Final. You could hazard a guess....but never be sure. The Skydome could have been picked for the CC Final....would we be saying then that the Blaze were gifted the advantage if they were one of the teams in the Final?
They could always get Fife to host it. They'd never qual... Oh wait.

Gisland

They could always get Fife to host it. They'd never qual... Oh wait.[/QUOTE

Then just pick a rink everyone appears to be happy with.Play all finals at Nottingham.
out of interest. As the CC final and Playoff finals are EIHL run, how is the gate money divided?