Challenge Cup final to be held in Sheffield

Have Hope#35

jester said:
Why would it be empty? I can think of numerous other sports that have finals at venues not close to either team:
Rugby League Challenge cup, Rugby Union European cup, Champions league final etc, etc
Minor sports: BBL- Field hockey, lower league rugby union and football
Have to agree with Jester on this one... I'm pretty sure I travelled a fair bit for some of the old Benson & Hedges Cup Final's etc! I think it's the fact that it's in Sheffield that's the problem. To be quite honest I love my trips to Nottingham for the Playoffs as well, that's not to say that we couldn't do with a completely neutral rink of the same scale!

James

Administrator
I can't see the problem. I've travelled to the away leg of every final we've been in since watching. This is no different. OK so Shuff is a dump but that can't be helped.

Earnie

That may be true Jester ,but I can't see say 300 Giants fans or 300 Devils fans making the journey if their team is not there.
I could be wrong.

Earnie said:
That may be true Jester ,but I can't see say 300 Giants fans or 300 Devils fans making the journey if their team is not there.
I could be wrong.
Im sure your right but thats not what I was suggesting :lol:

Diafol

I'm with James on this one, my only problem is putting "home away and neutral" tickets on sale this early.
How do you choose your seats ?

Also don't the Champions League for example draw the semis before the quarters have been played ?

Giants are in Sheffield the night before for a league game - so if we make the final it would make it a Double header weekend for us which might encourage a few more to go.

I'm considering the Sheffield game anyway and staying the extra day regardless of who makes it.

Diafol

Ha, if Sheffield and Belfast get to the final they'll probably just decide to have a doubled-up League/Cup game on the Saturday ;)

Gough60

What a load of old tosh.
Even after the draw tomorrow, there is still the chance of 5 teams having
home "advantage".
Cant think why I havent yet bought tickets since they been on sale from last
Tuesday. Wounder how many have been sold :?

Sheincar

From EIHL Twitter

"The Challenge Cup semi-final draw. Fife or Nottingham v Sheffield or Dundee and Cardiff or Belfast v Braehead or Hull/Coventry"

So come on Fife & Dundee

Have Hope#35

robbo2306 said:
Sheincar said:
The league would survive without them
Of course it would. Let's just take away the two biggest supported teams with the two biggest away followings....

Your jealousy shines through....
The whole 4 fans you bring to the BBT! For the record I wouldn't want Nottingham or Sheffield to go... No one brings an away following like the Devils though!

Ocko said:
They haven't had a good game for years. Sheffield are an effective team and have been for a number of seasons, but they are so dull. There is nothing about them, so overhyped by Simms and their awful local rag.

We have a bigger rivalry with Belfast and used to with Coventry than theirs with Nottingham. Since Niecker got his revenge and handed Allison a one sided beatdown after the bench clearance there has been nothing in the games - that was well over 10 years ago now. Since then it has just been a self proclaimed big rivalry - nothing more.
I'm assuming you've travelled up to all the games in Nottingham and Sheffield over the last 10 years Ocko to have such an opinion.

Of course, if you haven't then your opinion means jack.....

I'll take your point on being effective though.....that effectiveness has won some trophies......when was the last time your awesome side won anything of any note?? Challenge cup in 06........well done.....

Have Hope#35 said:
robbo2306 said:
Sheincar said:
The league would survive without them
Of course it would. Let's just take away the two biggest supported teams with the two biggest away followings....

Your jealousy shines through....
The whole 4 fans you bring to the BBT! For the record I wouldn't want Nottingham or Sheffield to go... No one brings an away following like the Devils though!
Think you'll find they do....quite often. ;)

DevilDom

robbo2306 said:
Let's just take away the two biggest supported teams with the two biggest away followings....
Not sure that is true, especially the away following. Sheffield rarely bring more than around 20-30 fans to the BBT. Nottingham probably a few more. Braehead usually bring more.