Carruth

Biggest mistake was letting Kozun go. Since then we have tried 2 import players and both have been average (being Kind).

Caruth would improve the squad no ends, but the question needs to be asked why is our D seem to be so poor when Bownsy not in goal.
its been a problem for years, and the same poor performances never gets solved. is it because the management dont look at it or dont care and look for the cheapest option to suit their needs.

moggy#9

Biggest mistake was letting Kozun go. Since then we have tried 2 import players and both have been average (being Kind).

Caruth would improve the squad no ends, but the question needs to be asked why is our D seem to be so poor when Bownsy not in goal.
its been a problem for years, and the same poor performances never gets solved. is it because the management dont look at it or dont care and look for the cheapest option to suit their needs.
It's an interesting question. My take is twofold. Firstly, the first consideration in recruiting defence is how mobile they are and how much offence they'll contribute. We seem to have moved away from the concept of a steady, stay at home style of player. At the level of players we have to choose from there's usually some flaw in their game, else they'd be playing in a better league. All to often that's in their tendency to get caught on the rush or the like.

The second aspect is where our players are from, which has been heavily north America centric. Because North American rinks aren't the same dimensions, I'm sure that must have some impact, though I've not got any hard evidence to support that.

ASHIPP

The onus surely is on all the players to be defensively responsible. This has been a key strength of the Steelers this season....playing as a unit, taking accountability as a unit.
On our roster, we know there are forwards who are not demonstrating/lacking a defensive aspect to their game. We see it every week. And It is still possible to have a versatile defence.. ..there is a place in the European style of hockey being adopted in the UK for stay at home defencemen as well as speedy, puck moving and shooting players.

It's an interesting question. My take is twofold. Firstly, the first consideration in recruiting defence is how mobile they are and how much offence they'll contribute. We seem to have moved away from the concept of a steady, stay at home style of player. At the level of players we have to choose from there's usually some flaw in their game, else they'd be playing in a better league. All to often that's in their tendency to get caught on the rush or the like.

The second aspect is where our players are from, which has been heavily north America centric. Because North American rinks aren't the same dimensions, I'm sure that must have some impact, though I've not got any hard evidence to support that.
Couple of interesting points you raise there.
As an example to what you are saying, Matt Register was/is a phenomenal offensive dman at ECHL/EIHL level and throughout his career has had regular call ups to the AHL but the flaw in his game is his mobility, hence why he’s never progressed further but we have missed his presence in my opinion.

PR like his D-men to activate in the offensive zone, hence why we have Crawford, Donaghey Mosey and Wilde,
(too many for my liking) but when you couple these guys with too many forwards who don’t seem to have much defensive responsibility then you have what we have, shoot out style hockey and as we all know offence wins games and defence wins championships!

moggy#9

The onus surely is on all the players to be defensively responsible. This has been a key strength of the Steelers this season....playing as a unit, taking accountability as a unit.
On our roster, we know there are forwards who are not demonstrating/lacking a defensive aspect to their game. We see it every week. And It is still possible to have a versatile defence.. ..there is a place in the European style of hockey being adopted in the UK for stay at home defencemen as well as speedy, puck moving and shooting players.
I guess sometimes it's really hard to change the hockey DNA off a player. Often they'll revert to type. I would favour us looking to Europe for some recruits this summer. I'd love to see a more puck retention style game and stop giving possession away cheaply.

BTW a shout out to cole Sanford who, in the games I've seen, has looked much more defensively responsible.

I guess sometimes it's really hard to change the hockey DNA off a player. Often they'll revert to type. I would favour us looking to Europe for some recruits this summer. I'd love to see a more puck retention style game and stop giving possession away cheaply.

BTW a shout out to cole Sanford who, in the games I've seen, has looked much more defensively responsible.
I think it’s clear to see that Sanford has worked on the defensive side to his game and is much more of a 200ft player in the Joey Martin mould.
God knows what Cox has been working on though?
He appears to coast through games.
Some will say just look at his assists total, but for me 10 goals for a top 6 forward with not much of a defensive upside ain’t good enough!

Wannabe2

When this league was a more physical league we signed North American players, as our league was more Nth American, but now the league is shying away from the physical side we need to think about more scandinavIan players, or czech type players in moderation. Martin Lindman, Patrick Asselin, Lucas Kormarek,Tomas Kurka, Matus Petricko, Matius Sointu, to name a few were good devils players. What do you guys think.

moggy#9

I'm not going to start taking deeply about who should return and who shouldn't until the play offs are done. What I will say though is that PR and Todd have done serious thinking to do about how to achieve some consistency.

Wannabe2

I think it’s clear to see that Sanford has worked on the defensive side to his game and is much more of a 200ft player in the Joey Martin mould.
Some will say just look at his assists total, but for me 10 goals for a top 6 forward with not much of a defensive upside ain’t good enough!
Totally agree people will say look at Crawfords assists, but he is one of the worse D Men we have ever signed his defensive duties are dire, and the sucker punches he throws and then turtles are a total joke.

moggy#9

When this league was a more physical league we signed North American players, as our league was more Nth American, but now the league is shying away from the physical side we need to think about more scandinavIan players, or czech type players in moderation. Martin Lindman, Patrick Asselin, Lucas Kormarek,Tomas Kurka, Matus Petricko, Matius Sointu, to name a few were good devils players. What do you guys think.
Absolutely agree. Growing up on big ice leads to a more fluid skating style and encourages more effective passing and puck retention. You just have to look at nomad in the continental cup to see how effective those things can be.

Couple of interesting points you raise there.
As an example to what you are saying, Matt Register was/is a phenomenal offensive dman at ECHL/EIHL level and throughout his career has had regular call ups to the AHL but the flaw in his game is his mobility, hence why he’s never progressed further but we have missed his presence in my opinion.

PR like his D-men to activate in the offensive zone, hence why we have Crawford, Donaghey Mosey and Wilde,
(too many for my liking) but when you couple these guys with too many forwards who don’t seem to have much defensive responsibility then you have what we have, shoot out style hockey and as we all know offence wins games and defence wins championships!
that's my point... when we activate our d men in the offensive zone, surely someone needs to stay back and defend... we have always had a problem when attacking... we are always left wide open and most of our conceded goals come from the left side.. its always bn a weakness that has never been identified or sorted out by the 2 managers we have had and PR. its this lack of detail and analysis that are killing our chances of winning the league in the near future. Will PR get the team that he wants next season or will he be handcuffed with signings on multi year contracts who seem to be free loading when its suits them.

Maybe because Sanford has improved his defensive skills that has made cox unsure of what he needs to do. When both players were doing the same thing, cox sometimes was unplayable but since a shift in play of Sanford cox has been nothing like his best.
think this is a player that needs to improve if he stays next year..

Patrick Asselin is Canadian but in fairness he’s spent most of his career in Europe so your point stands Glynne

kingmo19.1

The vast majority of our D seem to be frustrated wannabe forwards! I’m all for an offensive D man, but 2 is plenty per team in this league. The others should do what they are paid to do - DEFEND !!!!

ASHIPP

Maybe because Sanford has improved his defensive skills that has made cox unsure of what he needs to do. When both players were doing the same thing, cox sometimes was unplayable but since a shift in play of Sanford cox has been nothing like his best.
think this is a player that needs to improve if he stays next year..
Cox is an intelligent player and he knows he could still be a big points contributor.....when his body and mind are working together.
When both (body and mind) are off or decide they don't want to, it's a disaster for whatever line he is on. Fans remember the mistakes and the level of effort.

Unfortunately, the message received by fans watching him play is that he either is badly off form, or can't be bothered. Some of our players give so much effort and deliver what they promised they would do to personally develop this year....Crandall, Sanford, Davies,Barrow, Brandt are the obvious ones.

Last edited:

E.D.S.

Totally agree people will say look at Crawfords assists, but he is one of the worse D Men we have ever signed his defensive duties are dire, and the sucker punches he throws and then turtles are a total joke.
Still wins D man of the year without knowing the first thing about defending. Wonderfully talented going forward but not vaguely interested in being a d man.

Wannabe2

Still wins D man of the year without knowing the first thing about defending. Wonderfully talented going forward but not vaguely interested in being a d man.
That’s says it all really dont it, no idea about defending, lousy passer, not interested in being a D Man,only interested in being physical as long as it’s one way in case it spoils his mascara.

kingmo19.1

Says it all really. A typical Crawford game, ends up with 0+2 but his awful defensive work costs us a couple of goals so the net effect is Zero ! Yeah looks great for his personal stats, but does nothing for the team.