Cardiff Vs Steelers - Sunday 8th Feb - Chat / Update

Temme

I have to say, texting in to MNL i've never called it so one sided, we dominated the Steelers through all elements of the game.

Ben O'Connor had the worst night of his career without doubt, he's a quality player, no doubt. But I counted 6 giveaways off bad passes from his stick alone.

Unice could do very little about the 4 goals, all had good screens in front of him.

The 2 goals scrubbed off - the first one i believe hit Myers gloves so was correctly ruled out i guess, and the second one was a definite man in the crease. Frustrating but I guess the stripeys called them right.

Haddad's shot that hit the crossbar - from the angle he shot it at and the angle it rebounded, that may have hit the back bar.

But either way it didn't matter.

Bowns had a solid night - he had very little to do and 24 shots on goal flatters the steelers, they didn't really get anything set in our zone for the full 60.

Finny

Sometimes a win is worth more than just 2 points and that was definitely one of them last night. After a poor run of form we needed to get back to winning ways and there is no better team to do that against than Sheffield - especially when they are the in-form team.

To be honest, I don't think the performances from either team in that first period were that much different to last time. Except this time we got the early goal we deserved. Our confidence lifted and we absolutely battered them for the rest of the period. Deserved to lead 4-0 but Thompson changed his mind after giving the goal.

Sheffield came out fired up at the start of the second like had to, but we dealt with it well and from that point on we controlled the rest of the games. We still made a couple of silly mistakes but some committed defence and shot blocking ensured the Steelers didn't capitalise on them.

Hopefully we can carry this form and confidence into the next fortnight which will be massive for us.

Temme said:
Haddad's shot that hit the crossbar - from the angle he shot it at and the angle it rebounded, that may have hit the back bar.

Sat at the front of Block 6, watched it leave the stick, hit the crossbar and deflect out. Man, if that had gone in, with the angle we were sat at, it would have been straight out of a movie, hitting the netting and settling right behind the line. It was a rocket and there was nothing the Unice could have done about it.

Have Hope#35

Temme said:
I have to say, texting in to MNL i've never called it so one sided, we dominated the Steelers through all elements of the game.

Ben O'Connor had the worst night of his career without doubt, he's a quality player, no doubt. But I counted 6 giveaways off bad passes from his stick alone.

Unice could do very little about the 4 goals, all had good screens in front of him.

The 2 goals scrubbed off - the first one i believe hit Myers gloves so was correctly ruled out i guess, and the second one was a definite man in the crease. Frustrating but I guess the stripeys called them right.

Bowns had a solid night - he had very little to do and 24 shots on goal flatters the steelers, they didn't really get anything set in our zone for the full 60.
The Myers goal was scrubbed off for High Stick I thought? The puck hit his upper body and went in... Looked like a good goal from my angle! I also thought Haddad's shot went in but not certain!?

Angusdevil7 said:
The puck hit Myers right in the middle of his back and went in, Haddad's shot hit the crossbar and out
So where did the high stick call come from?!

Was there any reason as to why Trevor sat the game out?

Ocko

Hendubz said:
Angusdevil7 said:
The puck hit Myers right in the middle of his back and went in, Haddad's shot hit the crossbar and out

The high stick call came from an incompetent official, fabricating something because he was on TV and wanted his moment of fame for his Mam to see.

Mr Hendrixks sat out because we can only ice a certain number of imports during a match and surprisingly we are over that number so every match now it seems we have to 'rest' one of our imports.

Slartibartfast

Much better performance. We have started putting a guy in front of net. This is what has been missing. Myers and Clarkson are great screens and tough enough to take the battering from defensemen.

Our defensemen concentrated on defense most of the time so didn't leave holes at the back.

Clarkson was on fire. Bowns was solid but also well protected.

Steelers looked dire. I thought they looked dire when they beat us 6-0 also. They just played on the break and exposed our many mistakes. They seemed slower this time but that may be down to wind resistance caused by the increased facial hair.

Ocko said:
Hendubz said:
Angusdevil7 said:

The high stick call came from an incompetent official, fabricating something because he was on TV and wanted his moment of fame for his Mam to see.
:lol:

Russkydevil said:
Mr Hendrixks sat out because we can only ice a certain number of imports during a match and surprisingly we are over that number so every match now it seems we have to 'rest' one of our imports.
Cheers, didn't realise we'd gone over our limit on import players! :)

Tyke Devil

Yeah...I was right behind the waved off 4th goal. A high sticking call where the puck didn't hit a stick, and even if it had.....I don't think his stick was high. Looked horizontal and below crossbar level.

According to Mrs Tyke Devil who was watching on TV, the Premier Sports guys said it was a very poor call. Hope DOPS don't give the Prem sports commentators a misconduct for abuse of an official! They would probably pass it on to the Devils for us not controlling what they said in our Barn!

Gotta love EIHL refs though...never a dull moment!

Tyke Devil

Just seen the highlights posted on the other thread. 2nd period "man in the crease" I have no issue with but the high sticking call on Myers "goal" in the 1st?? Looked liked his stick was practically still on the ice! Puck came off the body. Ref seems to react to the Steelers players not what actually happened.

Superb all round display though. Great checking throughout. High intensity play. Made a very good Steelers team look average on the day. Topped off with a shutout for Ben which will do his confidence no end of good for the triple header in Scotland.

Have Hope#35

Tyke Devil said:
Just seen the highlights posted on the other thread. 2nd period "man in the crease" I have no issue with but the high sticking call on Myers "goal" in the 1st?? Looked liked his stick was practically still on the ice! Puck came off the body. Ref seems to react to the Steelers players not what actually happened.

Superb all round display though. Great checking throughout. High intensity play. Made a very good Steelers team look average on the day. Topped off with a shutout for Ben which will do his confidence no end of good for the triple header in Scotland.
Completely agree... The only time during that play that Myers stick left the ice was to celebrate the goal he'd just scored! He did wave it a bit high in celebration though, ha ha! Mychan does lift his stick on the play but he's far enough away from Myers for the ref's not to get confused... Surely? Man only just in the crease for the other disallowed goal but a fair call I guess...

Finny

I'd argue that the second disallowed goal is borderline too. I'm not convinced Myers is in the crease when the puck hits the back of the net. Yes he is just after, but it's because he is gliding backwards and it looks worse than it is because of how far Unice has come out.
9 times out of 10 the referee lets it go, but I've never known one referee to make so many wrong calls with out goals/no goals this year as Darnell.

Have Hope#35

Finny said:
I'd argue that the second disallowed goal is borderline too. I'm not convinced Myers is in the crease when the puck hits the back of the net. Yes he is just after, but it's because he is gliding backwards and it looks worse than it is because of how far Unice has come out.
9 times out of 10 the referee lets it go, but I've never known one referee to make so many wrong calls with out goals/no goals this year as Darnell.
I said above it was tight... Which is why I'd be prepared to let that one go! The first should have stood. If you look at the image attached as the puck (circled in red) hits the net it's very tight... Surely benefit should be given to the attacking team in that situation!? Thankfully not too important in hindsight!

Attachments

Tyke Devil

I'll live with a "tight" or "borderline" call.....hmm..well I will if we still win :)

The high stick call is just plain garbage though. I just don't get what he thinks happened on that play unless he is simply reacting to the Steelers players. No high sticks...didn't hit a stick...yet called high sticking. Bizarre!

Slightly off topic here but i just watched the highlights and it doesnt show Richardson's awsome goal line clearance. Im amazed nobody has mentioned him yet, his performance was outstanding last night IMO.

Tyke Devil said:
I'll live with a "tight" or "borderline" call.....hmm..well I will if we still win :)

The high stick call is just plain garbage though. I just don't get what he thinks happened on that play unless he is simply reacting to the Steelers players. No high sticks...didn't hit a stick...yet called high sticking. Bizarre!
What I find more confusing than anything is the fact he awards a goal.... then seconds later changes his mind. Baffling.

As for the Myers one, I think it's called because of the position of Unice. If he's tight on his goal line, that's given imo.