Cardiff Vs Sheffield - Sat, 28, Sep - F/0 7:00pm - Chatter

ASHIPP

Re: Cardiff Vs Sheffield - Sat, 28, Sep - F/0 7:00pm - Chat

* sigh* would be great to see the team get a good result at home. Not one win yet.

Couldnt tell you what the lines were tonight - everything mixed up. Too many off form players not firing on all cylinders. And some of those were key players from last year's team.

Only 4 players are demonstrating consistent performances every game - Ben, Richie, Tyson and Lordy. If nothing changes, they wont be back next season because they will be made good offers by other clubs

The mix\match of lines and pairings tonight suggests they still dont know which combination is best.
Myers doing a lot of work but getting nowhere with his line.

And Ben...fantastic but completely wasted where he is. An experienced partner could convert all that energy and skill.

Morrisette looked completely lost ( missing partnership with Lordy?). He was muscled off everything. Could take some tips on grittiness from Ben!

Totally disappointed. I just cannot understand how Steelers scored some (great) goals and we hammered at the net continually but got nothing for so long.
You could say it was one of those unlucky nights but they're all too common with us recently.
What an awful start to the season when we were expecting goals galore.
Hope Lacosta has some better results too or well be made to look very foolish.
Must do better or club will be in trouble.

Well there can be no excuses tonight:
- Steelers had 3 injuries
- Steelers were out of form
- Doyle had reportedly been lacking confidence
- We had 'Dan the man' back
- We were fresh and rested, no long bus journeys or games the day before
- Attendance was the highest so far this season from what I could see
- The atmosphere was buzzing in that tent to start with
- We had countless power plays

But we were completely outclassed by a well coached and well drilled team. We simply could not compete and looked disorganised and and all over the place.

There was little cohesion between the lines and no apparent tactics other than dump and chase.

Testimonial year or not, I think this has to come down to coaching. We've had a big budget this year but things are just not working. Time for a fresh approach now before yet another season is lost.

Slartibartfast

We seem to have some really good players but a bad team. Our systems don't work. Powerplay still not working and the only way to get past a netminder playing a blinder is to screen him. SO PUT SOMEONE IN FRONT OF THE NET. Maybe use that Brad Voth cardboard cutout that we used to have in reception.
Really starting to question Gs coaching ability.

DevilDom

We can make any goalie look good. How many shots straight at Doyle? How many rebounds missed.

This team is not right at the moment. Morrissette looks out of his depth. Blight, Hill, Faulkner massively out of form. Where has the Myers from pre season gone? Physical really? G is a waste of an import slot. Team being carried by 4 or 5 players. What are the lines? We are not playing 4 lines we are playing 3 mixed up lines. Please play Max as a forward.

Very disappointed with the tactics and the team at the moment.

DevilDom said:
We can make any goalie look good. How many shots straight at Doyle? How many rebounds missed.

This team is not right at the moment. Morrissette looks out of his depth. Blight, Hill, Faulkner massively out of form. Where has the Myers from pre season gone? Physical really? G is a waste of an import slot. Team being carried by 4 or 5 players. What are the lines? We are not playing 4 lines we are playing 3 mixed up lines. Please play Max as a forward.

Very disappointed with the tactics and the team at the moment.
Agree with what you're saying.

We do need to give credit to Doyle though, despite many shots being straight at him, he did make 5-6 very, very good saves. He's going to be a good nettie in this league, as is Lacosta when he gets more game time under his belt.

Gospel

That performance tonight was shocking. The team cannot even do the basics right, the number of times the passing from the D goes awol and then from forward to forward is embarrassing!

Dump & chase has its time, but not 90% of the time!

I don't think Mac should be captain. Let him concentrate on playing, just like last year and let someone else worry about the rest.

Max should never be on D, doesn't look comfortable. Batch looks far more composed back there.

Sheffield were there for the taking tonight, they don't look anything special yet we let them do whatever they wanted. We never hit anything, Hill get annoyed that his stick is smashed from his hands, knocks a helmet off then does nothing else. Pointless.

We were told at the beginning of the season that this would be a typical Devils team, more physical. Have I missed something as I don't think we finished any real checks until G went through with one in the 55th minute.

Something has to change & quickly.

osh

Well, how about that tonight then ? ...... Let's tell it like it is, we are a below average team ( who I continue to support ). We appear be to totally lacking in confidence or any sort of direction from the bench. How many players turned up for us tonight? 5 maybe 6 ? The nearer we get to our new rink 2013? 2014? 2015? The worse we are performing !!

Earnie

Sheffield were short benched and not particularly good. Devils were just not particularly good. We had powerplays galore and failed. On our home patch we should have romped that game tonight and failed to deliver.

Stand out failures are Hill and Morissette.
Faulkner and Blight are not firing on all cylinders like last season.

No blame can be atributed to the officials

It became a battle of the goal tenders and Doyle won . However early days for LaCosta. Steeler fans were not too happy with Doyle a few weeks ago?

Lets see what tomorrow brings!!

Agree with a lot of whats been said in this thread with regards to game. Tomorrow will hopefully be a different story although i've been thinking they'll get a wake up call and play better for a few weeks now.

Going slightly off topic but has anyone else stayed behind for the post match interview in the bar?
I caught it by chance 3 weeks ago and quite enjoyed it so the last 2 matches i've made a point of waiting behind for it.
Last week waited about 35 minutes, G & Franny turned up but no Brent so they left again.
Like a mug stayed behind again tonight seeing as it was mentioned over the tannoy and once again, 35 minutes of hanging about later and still no sign of any interview so again gave up and headed home for some dinner!

Anyone know if it actually happened?

3 guys stood out for me tonight and at least looked like they were trying to do something. Ben, Luke Piggot and CJ. Those 3 guys had more passion than the rest of the team put together tonight but amazingly I don't think we saw Luke at all in the 3rd and very little of CJ. They were out performing all of our "stars" until effectively being benched and it isn't the first time.

At least they were playing with a bit of intensity and made it slightly less boring to watch. Considering the issues we currently have Luke continues to impress every game and for his first proper season CJ also has the makings of a true Devil.

I don't think either get much recognition which they really deserve. The rest was just painful tonight.

voth26

once dan gets game time then I think/hope he will get better, certainly showed this as the game went on, a positive me thinks. As has been said in other posts apart from ben Tyson lord and plumton and Richie not much else happening, I posted previously that hilly is lucky he's a brit nothings changed last night there was a scuffle which involved him and he did nothing just shrugged his shoulders and untangled himself and skated off even ben was in there???, Steelers looked nothing special doyle apart from a couple saves just had to be in the right place as we shot straight at him why didnt we plant someone in front of the net there were at least 4/5 chances where if a player was in front its in the net, we did it with vother who was a perfect example of screening the nettie, im probably going to get flamed but last night was a game for conboy to be a part of, to be fair to him he is a player who for me gives 100% effort he hits anything moving and stands in front of the crease. again people walking out before end of the game for the third/fourth game running I have a feeling they may not even bother coming in the first place in the near future if things don't improve. Clearly things aint right in the camp G and franny need to identify the reasons and rectify the situation rapidly before it becomes seriously beyond fixing
Time will tell I guess there is no doubt that the management team have a lot to do starting tonight so to all THE CARDIFF DEVILS PLAYERS WE HAVE SUPPORTED YOU NOW IT'S YOUR TIME TO SUPPORT YOUR LOYAL FANS AND RESTORE OUR FAITH IN YOU, AND PROVE YOU ALL HAVE THE HEART AND YOU DESERVE THE RIGHT TO WEAR THE SHIRT OF OUR TEAM.

Kipper

I thought we were unlucky tonight to come up against a goalie on fire. I goal judged behind Doyle 2nd period and some of his saves were phenomenal. We had 20 shots on him in that period alone and a fair number were quality shots.

There was also a big difference in LaCosta from the 1st and 3rd period. He looked much more into the game and I think he will be good for us. By next weekend he will be match sharp.

Without a first choice goalie we have been up against it this season and results haven't gone our way. I believe the season starts here. G and Franny deserve and need our support now during these tough times.

How many of the button pushers on here wanted Marsh back this season? Not many. Our coaches knew what a quality player he was when fully fit and he is repaying their judgement. It was not G and Franny that stuffed up the Cardiff Business School deal and lost us Frank Doyle as a consequence.How different would our start of the season have been if that had been cemented.

I feel a lot of fans are looking for someone to hang out to dry at the moment without looking at the bigger picture and the circumstances of last night's game and the season generally so far. I thought the workrate and commitment of most of the players last night was fine.They worked their butts off but didn't get the bounces. Only one player really disappointed me but hopefully there will be more to come from him.

Perhaps I get a different perspective because I don't get emotional during games. Who knows

rolf

Good reasoned post there Mr. Kipper. Perhaps the sky hasn't fallen on our heads and it was just an acorn after all.

There are a few factors which could be unsettling factors

1 Our tough guy is sitting 6 games for getting called for everything so far this short season. Perhaps the other 'smarter' players have clocked that and toned it down a bit as they don't wanna be next. Badda boom and we ain't so physical as we were. Same thing every year, Cardiff enjoys the full length of ban tariff available to the EIHL.

2 Have players been paid yet? Some have been over here since mid August and it is now almost October. They could be getting hungry by now. Just a question, so do not read more into it than that.

3 Have all players had their cars yet? Same as above, apart from them maybe getting tired too with all that walking......

If I was owner of a team, I guess I would believe that a contract works 2 ways and if you don't keep your end of the bargain, you cannot expect the players to work their nutts off, go through the brick wall etc for you...

DevilDom

Kipper said:
Perhaps I get a different perspective because I don't get emotional during games. Who knows
Isn't that part of being a paying fan though? The players want the emotion when we are cheering them on and are happy when they play well. Therefore they should expect some disappointment when they are not up to scratch.

Maybe from your position behind the goal you couldn't see how disjointed and disorganised the lines looked last night or how poor and one dimensional our tactics were?

I agree there was a lot of effort from some players but for most of the night we were a bit like headless chickens.

Kipper

Agree it's all about perspective Dom. I watch close up(well at one end anyway) in a quite detached manner. What I do see close up though is the desire and fight within each player. You can see it in their eyes. I also see the despair when they don't get that bit of luck. If these guys weren't trying I would have a different viewpoint but they will have my support while they continue to put the effort in.

I am quite disturbed at some of the questions raised by Rolf if there us any truth in them

Kipper said:
Agree it's all about perspective Dom. I watch close up(well at one end anyway) in a quite detached manner. What I do see close up though is the desire and fight within each player. You can see it in their eyes. I also see the despair when they don't get that bit of luck. If these guys weren't trying I would have a different viewpoint but they will have my support while they continue to put the effort in.

I am quite disturbed at some of the questions raised by Rolf if there us any truth in them
Disturbed but not surprised?

Koop11

It appears poor preparation went into Saturday. I had no idea what our strategy for this game was. There appeared to be no game plan whatsoever. No direction. The lines are not clicking. Certain players this early season have been living on past reputation because they are pretty pony this year. I won’t mention names. It’s clear to everyone who is not pulling their weight.

Where is this tough team we’ve apparently signed? I missed pre season as I was on holiday. I’ve returned for the regular season to see European hockey being played by players who can’t play that style. Why aren’t we smashing up a short benched team? Staggering.

The return of La Costa meant no excuses for a poor show, especially against a short benched Sheffield team, who by the way I thought looked pretty average but average was certainly good enough. La Costa let in two shockers. Two gaols which was the difference on the scoreboard. If there was any pressure on his return then he has added more for the next home game which I feel very little buzz about.

I heard the rumour of Max on defence during the summer. I was not convinced. Ok, he’s played internationally on D and I kind of understood the rational for utilising someone of his quality but you can tell by the way Max plays that he does not have the mindset of a defenseman. Many people I spoke to agreed but the club chose this approach and it has failed miserably. What.... A.... Surprise! Not one game Max has played D has he played well. Low and behold, G make changes late into the game (credit for doing that by the way), puts Max up front and BOOM, the Max we all know and love is back. Please for the love of God keep our most creative player in a position he has earnt his trade.

Fortunately there are some positives. We are creating a lot of chances. We just can’t finish our dinner. Lord, Richardson, Davies and Myers are playing very well. Not sure why Myers is getting stick, his decision making is spot on. I thought Jake was a lot better. He needs to find the right line though. I’d like to see him with Lord and Faulkner. Put Max, Blight and Davies on another line and leave Hilly with Myers and Conboy.

Both coaches and players are accountable for that shower of sheet. We play anymore games like that this season and fans will walk. G has worked magic before. Time to pull something out of hat now please because that was crap.