Cardiff Devils vs Hull Stingrays - Sun 6pm - Chat/Updates

Kipper

DEVIL INSIDE said:
So why did the penalty box official not open the door then if he has been doing it for years?
Ask him. Perhaps he has Alzheimers and forgot how the door works!!

I have known in some junior games that the players are at the door waiting to open it themselves on the official's say so. It's not unusual especially in the tiny penalty boxes we have in Cardiff

From my seat in Block 13:

- Someone mentioned Franny throwing punches. From what I saw, first he tried to hold Max back, later he was leaning over the plexi to try to help hold back the Hull players. No punches.

- Didn't see Adams in the melee at all.

- Happened to look at the clock not long after it all kicked off and Voth's penalty was definately over, so he didn't leave the box 'illegally'.

- The only stick action I saw was Max seemingly trying to hook Knight(?) back towards him to get at him, and the spear throwing. Definately didn't see the Devils swining their sticks like baseball bats.

- Voth did move towards Knight and didn't shy away from a confrontation (like it or not, would you expect him, or any enforcer worth his salt, to?), but Knight definately instigated the fight.

- Hull were out of order piling in behind the benches - if they had left Knight and Brad to it then it would have been easier to stop and may have amounted to less. Don't know how Hull got behind the benches but very difficult for the Devils players get there making defending Voth difficult and the fight one-sided.

I can understand why the Devils got the penalties they did (maybe a bit harsh for the on-ice fights, too many bodies to see exactly what happened though), but disagree with the level of penalties for Hull. Seems a bit one-sided. Hull should get something for wading in behind the benches as they did, and Hubbe for the spear throwing.

Once it's all sorted out though, leave it and get on with the season. No point carrying it on from one game to the next and weaking the team for other games.

Finny

Agree 100% with what draig-goch says, and it pretty much confirms my thoughts and what I saw. Didn't see Adams anywhere near the bench when this was going on, and the only thing Franny was doing was trying to pull players away.

I was watching the fight (and screaming so much that I have no voice today) and the next thing I saw was Vother, coming out of nowhere and jumping on Knight to stop him killing whoever was on the floor! I thought it was Romfo but most others are saying it was Michel so I'm not going to argue as it happened too quick for me to read the name or number on his shirt! Brads penalty must have expired though because there was no time left on the clock for him when he came out. I dont think anyone likes seeing their team getting beat up like that so he was probably just anxious to get out there and couldnt wait for the official who undoubtedly would have tried to keep him in the box and out of trouble!
As for Huppe throwing his stick to diffuse the situation, I agree with most people on here. How is throwing a stick going to diffuse a situation!?!
I didnt see G near the benches during the fight but then I didnt have a great view from where I was.
The officials really need a leson in how not to be biased though, There were a couple of blatantly obvious calls on hull that should have been made, I noted tripping, hooking and holding all of which were missed.
Ben Davies really impressed me last night, he really is making the most of his chances and when he gets a goal it will be a very well deserved one! some of his shots should have gone in last night!
After last night I really think that the matches against sheffield on the weekend are going to be a bit of an anti-climax.
And to think, I used to quite like Hull! :)

Rempel16

I can 100% confirm that Adams missed all of the action, he walked out of the dressing room just as Voth was walking into it after it had all calmed down.

Managed to get some of the action on my phone, from just before some of the Hull players joined the behind-the-bench fight to when it started to break up. Doesn't look as bad as memory portrays. There are a few players from both team still on the ice, looking a bit bewildered to be honest. There are about 4 Devils players standing on the bench, watching the fight/keeping an eye on things, then a few Hull players wade in at the back and those on the bench lean it to try to stop them.

There seem to be quite a few people behind the bench who aren't players, so maybe that's why it looks worse as if there are more players involved than we thought.

As I say it's not a good film, but it's staying on my phone! :twisted:

icebaby said:
huskie i believe it shows clearly on the tape Birbraer swinging his stick like a baseball bat before the stick throwing incident and another player doing stuff with his stick so if Huppe gets a ban then these guys will prob get bans too esp as the baseball swing was towards Knights head/face
:lol: Draig-Goch sums it up - "The only stick action I saw was Max seemingly trying to hook Knight(?) back towards him to get at him, and the spear throwing. Definately didn't see the Devils swining their sticks like baseball bats." Thats pretty much what I saw too.

Also come on Draig-Goch get in on youtube, would love to see it again. :D

Icebaby I don't know who you've been talking to but its utter shite that you have been told.

As people on here have already said, how the hel does launching your stick up and into the opposition's bench defuse the situation? Very silly thing to say.

I was watching the bench the whole time (as I couldn't see the Voth Knight thing going on behind), and Max was the only one swinging his stick at Knight when he was on the ice, it wasn't baseball bat style but still it wasn't done as a love tap either..... This was NOT at Knights face or head and Max was leaning over the bench with his stick at full strech, so at about waist height. This did not connect as far as I could see.....(not the point I know), Max may see one or 2 games out.

After it kicked off behind the bench, Max and a few other players (don't remember who - just a pile of red) were putting their sticks behind the bench through the plexi - Im not sure who was behind altogether.

AFTER the stick throwing the Hull bench nearly empties.

IMO if its tit for tat (from where I was sat and as much as I could see) Hull will be much worse off than devils. Burns (brit or import?) opened the door and came back onto the ice towards the devils bench looking for a fight.....

Anyway, 2 points, well earned as IMO devils were 100% the better team. How the hell did we lose Saturday, were we that bad or were Hull crap at oour rink....

totally enjoyed last nights match. its a shame the way it ended as i think we played quite well and there was no need for all that. ben was fab and i am so glad i have put my name down to bepart of the-inferno sponsorship for towe what a great game from him. i just hope there are not many match bans and we get all our players back out there, what a team we have got,very excited about the rest of the season;-)

James

Administrator
I had a bit of a sinking feeling after seeing the score on saturday night but the Devils really stepped up to the plate last night. Latulippes one goal was sublime and a lot of the passing seemed to have clicked, and as others have said the third line looked very good. All Davies needs is a bit more weight behind him and he'll be a player to be reckoned with. Hull really didn't look like they had much of a chance. It's just a pity Knight decided to try and make a name for himself by taking on Voth. I'm sure he is regretting it this morning. Lets hope the league take the actions in context and make the right decisions.

TheStub

By the sound of, the Devils came out looking to prove something last night.

In Hull, the passing was a little sloppy and we didn't clear the zone well. I think it was Hull who came out looking to give the crowd something to get behind, and played with real "determination".

I think the reffing probably didn't help us, as Hull were able to put lots of niggly little pulls and trips (sorry Hull fans, that is what I saw) and we had no answer. Lots of handbags, but the ref seemed to want to prevent anything from boiling over. Knight was looking to go with Voth from the first faceoff. That probably built up the frustration, and saw it carry through to Cardiff.

Devils wanted to own Hull in our own rink, so I guess they really went at them. We just then had two matches of frustration to get out of our system.

I really think, in Hull we were the stronger team, but couldn't find a way to win.

Out of interest does anyone know attendance figures? apart from block 1 and 15 it looked pretty much full. My main concern about all these match penalties is how were going to hold out against sheffield? was really looking forward to that game but now im not too sure how well its going to go. Anyone know when stones looking to be fit?

Gazza272

Playing wise there were probably 6 standouts for me, they were Max,Jay, Jarvis and the entire third line.

The only guy i would say seemed a little quiet but still played decently was Miller i think with Matt a settled first line is going to help him immensley.

As for the third line i think Towe is enjoying being the mature part of that line last night, a few times he was the first to step in when there was handbags, but it was also good to see Ben get in Esders face after a clumsy hit to show that he isnt just going to take it, were it not for the puck bouncing the wrong way Hayes would have grabbed himself a goal last night as well, i can see those three guys getting some points this season however,, at times the Hull D just didnt have an answer for them and it was great to see.

We still however especially in the second look shakey defensively and also a few times Lyle was giving him kittens, i dont know weather he just looses concentration when not worked often but a few pucks were slipping out, Romfo looked solid enough, i was pleased to see most of his passes went tape to tape and Hartwick seems to be slightly more physical this year, while his stickhandling improves Game on game.

All in all encouraging, Sheffield seem to have started slowly this year, and we will have to be straight in their faces next Saturday if we are to get a result.

Gazza272 said:
Playing wise there were probably 6 standouts for me, they were Max,Jay, Jarvis and the entire third line.
I thought Jarvis had a brilliant game, Phil Hill for me improves every game, he's so quick too. Thought Michel was brilliant. His passing was perfect. Really like this guy!!

Lyles rebounds scare me, he's good on the initial shot, but his rebound control sometimes is a bit off. Hartwick (I wasn't his biggest fan last year) has impressed me in the 3 games I have seen him. Puck control seems a lot better and a lot more passes meet their destination!!

Finny

nmase20 said:
Out of interest does anyone know attendance figures?
I think it was 1398. Not bad seeing as it was just after the football and against a team who in the past have been boring to watch.