Cardiff Devils v Nottingham Panthers - Sun 7 Jan 2018 - League - FO 6pm - Chat/Updates

E.D.S.

It's only hard to get my head around you thinking that a coach would look at the PP as more important than making sure his team " finishes their checks". A coach is responsible for all aspects of the game and they are all important. Most importantly , being on a "tight leash" as you've said is only for fighting not finishing a check, so there's no correlation between the 2 and that's where I think you're confused . Finishing checks is a very important part of the game and when the Devils skate and finish checks, there are very few teams if any that can play with them. In my mind they didn't do that on Sunday especially their defence. Having said that, some forwards need to finish them as well. When push comes to shove, no pun intended, any coach would like to see his team play under control and fight if you need to . I would be very surprised if any coach at this level would tell his team not to engage but the game dictates that. Gratuitous fighting is useless but there times when you need to take matters into your hands and we've seen some scraps this year just not as many as some of the old school fans would like to see.
I think we’re talking at cross purposes (apologies for that) as I think I’m agreeing with you. I don’t think Lord would tell the guys not to check. I felt that players weren’t finishing when they had the opportunity to do so and I raised that in the Coventry game, away from Home. Point I was making was that when Fournier, as an example, got boarded last night, rather than someone making that guy accountable by fighting him, Lord would rather a power play.

Interesting point you made about “I would be very surprised if any coach at this level would tell his team not to engage” as i think that’s the crux of some of the discussion on here. I think people, including me just want to understand why it’s not happening. I’m not frustrated or annoyed by it at all as I’ll take the number one spot every day of the week but was just after an explanation, a point of view etc as to why it’s the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones72

Not sure where the “boring game” thing is coming from. I had loads of fun watching last night, thoroughly enjoyed the game, and so did a lot of people in the vicinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk