Cardiff Devils v Manchester Phoenix - 11/03 - Chat/Updates

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Hey hey,

We'll be running MNL for this game again *hopefully* from the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl.

Devils are without the usual suspects of Cowmeadow, Francis, Campbell and Fulton.

Phoenix have a full squad of available players, but only have 10 imports?

Let's hope they play better over the back to back games this week.

Chris.

Chris Stone said:
Parrish is the 11th, since he left we've officially been running with 10 but with injuries it's been 8 or 9 for the most part.

ASHIPP

mattski93 said:
Chris Stone said:
Parrish is the 11th, since he left we've officially been running with 10 but with injuries it's been 8 or 9 for the most part.
Even more credit, then, to the magnificent way the Phoenix have been playing over the last week :mrgreen: - WINNING 3 League games and a Cup Final 1st leg - the Devils should be scared stiff :lol:
Based on that performance and the fact that they've had the same number of rest days as the Devils, Manchester will be on a roll and just warming up!

Don't want to add anything else - everything positive and upbeat I usually post before a Devils match is completely undone by their performance! I figure they might pull off a win if I say nothing! :lol:

osh

Chris Stone said:
Hey hey,

We'll be running MNL for this game again *hopefully* from the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl.

Devils are without the usual suspects of Cowmeadow, Francis, Campbell and Fulton.

Let's hope they play better over the back to back games this week.

Chris.
You mention that Fulton and Campbell are out, and I believe they are out for the season. As I haven't been able to attend as many games as I would normally do, and don't fully comprehend the import quota, are you therefore saying we are 2 imports down ( albeit with G filling in as and when he sees fit )

TheStub

Elich came in to fill one slot, so technically we have one import too many if they were all fit.

Adams didn't fill the final slot, as he believed that either Campbell or Fulton would be fit again before the end of the season. It looks as if the prognosis was wrong, as they are both ruled out for the rest of the year.

Great move bringing Elich in, but now we are pay three imports instead of two.

osh

Surely the club don't pay players with long term injuries ? I would have thought there would be insurances in place to counter that.

TheStub

I'm not sure how they cover it - but last season we couldn't cover long term injuries, because we couldn't afford it.

We may have had the money to buy insurance, or perhaps we are finding money out of the budgets. Depends what is cheaper long term I suppose - how much does player injury cover cost?

Somehow, I'm really looking forward to this double header v Phoenix tonight and tomorrow despite the performances on the weekend. I've been to see the Devils 30+ times in the past 18 months but only seen Phoenix play once which was last season. It will be a miracle if we stop Beauegard from getting an assist / goal.

Looking at his stats for this season, he's scored at least a point in 49 out of 58 games. That's crazy. Although one of those was actually Devils, he still has 7 points (3g, 4a) against us in just 4 games this season. Also, a Mr Hand who plays for them has scored at least a point in 45 out of his 55 games including a 4 point game against the Devils. Pity we didn't having players producing these sort of stats although this dicussion has already been had on another thread and at the end of the day, despite these players - Phoenix are 20 odd points off the pace just like us.

Wannabe2

Think its gonna kick off tonight, i reckon tonights game and tomorows will be very physical with both teams not wanting to give an inch, these two games could be two of the most penalised games for a long time. Think they are both going to be belters.

Wannabe2 said:
Think its gonna kick off tonight, i reckon tonights game and tomorows will be very physical with both teams not wanting to give an inch, these two games could be two of the most penalised games for a long time. Think they are both going to be belters.
We could do Belfast a favour and beat them and knock them round the rink. I would rather see Giants lift the CC and BKC

ASHIPP

In Tyson's article on the Devils' website, he mentions our 'big, strong defensive' unit once or twice but very little about the Devils' forwards. Does this imply it's going to be another defensive game trying to shut down the awesome Beaugarde, Fulgrum et all? It's one thing trying to do that....but are our 'big, strong' front Guys going to be scoring any goals at the other end?! :D

TheStub

Well, he is a defenceman :lol:

Phoenix have one super line, and then the others are fairly ordinary. I think we could have the measure of them if we play together, and really go for it. Close down Hand's line, and hit them hard.

I've just watched the Sky coverage of the Phoenix/Caps match from the 5th (it was broadcast Friday FFS). The Caps almost had them, and it was the Caps who lost it rather than the Phoenix that won it.

If we hit them hard, and go for goal, we should wear them down.

I think if we play our game in our rink we should beat the Phoenix. We've not had near a full team against them this season which is why we've lost IMO. (Our style of play relies on all three lines forechecking hard and for three periods - it's much tougher with a short bench.)

We're at our most effective in front of goal when we're forcing turnovers and keeping the opposition pegged deep in the corners.

However, we don't seem to play this way often enough. In fact, the more physical the opposition the more physical we play and vice verser. We don't often seem to take advantage of an opposition with a lack of physical pressence. eg Belfast last weekend. Sheffield, Hull games also come to mind. (I'm talking about hits not fights)

Manchester has some excellent forwards, but I'm confident if we go out there and smash them up we should win. In fairness, the referees do seem to have a problem with checking in this league which is extremely frustrating.