Cardiff Devils ENL v Romford Raiders ENL 1/4 Final

It was nice to meet you and the family at Rom. We'll have to do it again sometime with the help of your bruv and thanks for the support. I don't think Rom expected that!!! :lol:
(they banned the drums, rattles, trumpets, vuvuzelas but they could'nt ban the RED ARMY!!)

The rest of my family can't make it tonight but i'll be there..... Block 3!!
It'll be fantastic if there was a tidy crowd tonight cos it would really lift the guys and spur them on!! :)

COME ON YOU DEVILS!!! :twisted:[/quote]

Whos Army.. RED ARMY !! :) we owned Romford to be fair haha bring on next season.. il be in cardiff for a few games and likely to be in slough, streatham, romford, chelmsford and any more within reach for the away games.. so im sure we'l meet again steve :) im hooked on ice hockey and the Devils :) Lets go Devils!

Earnie

Re the two handed slash Wildthing 74 mentions it would have been a major pile of Match Bans in the Elite. The fans were pretty aggressive also. They seemed to be there to intimidate rather than cheer their team on. Only in the last 60 seconds did they 'Romford (clap clap clap)'

ASHIPP

Our guys fought hard, particularly in the third period. The result does not reflect their efforts.....I'm sure they completely outshot Romford but the Raiders' netminder was on good form.
4 of their goals were scored by an ENL top scorer, Huska. Shame really because if the Devils had shut him out of the game, they probably would have been ok. :x
Boy there were some neanderthals on that Romford team! They had a short bench to start with but so many were thrown out that I counted 8 skaters and 2 netminders on their bench by p3!
Some lovely plays by Tim Burrows and Luke Piggott. Jones and Powell played well too. Sadly, too many penalties left their defence struggling on 3 on 5 on a couple of occassions. Very difficult to shut down opposition like that.

wildthing74

Real lack of class by their team too skating off without shaking hands.they came back on but I thought it was a pretty poor thing to do and was more likely to inflame a situation than stopping one.

dave

That was by far the worse slash I have seen in hockey.
The first was not great/clever by Sads and was a major but Huska should be in Jail, it was that bad.

Very enjoyable game to watch last night. I think our boys were really, really unlucky not to score a few more. They had some great SOG but Romford's netminder really had his eye in! Wow. Well deserved MOM for him.

I was well impressed with a couple of Huska's goals - the slapshot from the central zone was sweet.

That slash was terrible, how he didn't get game for that I'll never know! :eek: In really bad form as well as they were clearly leading and not really in any danger of losing.

Also how after that fight, how did our player end up with 5 + game? I appreciate the 5 for fighting and think the Romford player should have got game for going back at our guy after they were separated, but not sure why ours did? Did I miss something?

DevilDom

DiafolsDiafols said:
Also how after that fight, how did our player end up with 5 + game? I appreciate the 5 for fighting and think the Romford player should have got game for going back at our guy after they were separated, but not sure why ours did? Did I miss something?
Nope it was just a bad call by the ref. The Romford guy went back at Fisher and he just clung on and dragged him to the ice again. Short of standing there and taking punches I'm not sure what else he could have done.

With regards the slash by Huska - i've never seen anything like it before. It was full swing and head high. Unbelieveable that he almost got away with it. I was quite surprised it was him because on the ice he looked a class apart to the rest of the Romford lot and only Burrows came close to his skating ability.

That slash was terrible, how he didn't get game for that I'll never know! In really bad form as well as they were clearly leading and not really in any danger of losing.
Agree it was worst thing I have ever seen in hockey and was very lucky not to have done any realy damage. But he did get chucked out, not sure exactly what the call was (heard it was a match + match?) but expecting a fairly heavy ban, will be interesting to see what the league does.

The boys fought valiently all the way to the end, were very physical all night long putting in lots of big checks. Just lacked that little bit of luck on front of goal and their keeper had a good night.

dave

devil_hammer said:
That slash was terrible, how he didn't get game for that I'll never know! In really bad form as well as they were clearly leading and not really in any danger of losing.
But he did get chucked out, not sure exactly what the call was (heard it was a quote]

Sadler & Huska both received Match penalties for Slashing....Automatic ban plus review.
Would hope that Huska gets a fair few games added on to the Min...

The slash from Huska was bad but I can understad why he did it. Sadler slashed him hard across the legs for no reason....just after high sticking the netminder. I'm guessing it was red mist from Huska, not excusing the slash, but Sadler deserved a pasting for it.

And the difference in quality of netminders was shocking, I expected Brabon to be pulled as he didn't look confident all night.

bluedevil said:
The slash from Huska was bad but I can understad why he did it. Sadler slashed him hard across the legs for no reason....just after high sticking the netminder. I'm guessing it was red mist from Huska, not excusing the slash, but Sadler deserved a pasting for it.

And the difference in quality of netminders was shocking, I expected Brabon to be pulled as he didn't look confident all night.
My first ENL night. I really enjoyed the game from an entertainment point of view...but I honestly thought the hockey being played was pretty poor. Pretty good summary of the way I saw it from behind the goal but the Huska slash was as bad as I've seen anywhere...at any standard of Hockey.

Burrows and Huska stood out by a country mile. Well until Huska went to get an early shower.

Their netminder did play a blinder. ENL Devils lost it big style in the second period. Otherwise not much between the two teams. Ref. seemed out of his depth..or just mentally flicked a coin in his head when having to make a call. Who knows?

What I really enjoyed was the two old dears (as my partner put it) up in the seats behind the goal we were attacking in the first and last periods. The other half had already chatted to a Romford fan during an interval break who was saying that his mother (I think) was having a go at a female Devils fan. When the game had finished I heard him saying "..just let it go...not worth it"

As I could hear from the bottom of the stairs...it certainly wasn't over yet!

Great way to spend a Sunday evening though. Highly recommended!

Firstly I thought the guys gave their all last night and never gave up fighting for the win till the end.

The ENL league is quite a mix of pro's, semi pro's and amateurs. You can tell this year who the spenders are cos they're all sitting at the top of the table. Cardiff don't pay their ENL guys and yes the standard of hockey is lower than the Elite. Myself i'm an ENL convert who, as I've said in other posts, take my hat off to these guys who do not get paid, have to pay their own registration fees and travelling costs to away games whilst holding up a day job or are full time students, but turn out twice a week to play and when they play like they did last night It makes me proud to follow the Devils. (step off soap box).

(Back to the game)

I've never seen anything like the two handed slash on Sadler :shock: and whether he deserved it or not Huska as a more senior (use the term losely) player should have kept control. Hope he has a lengthy ban and misses the next games!!
Fair play to Ben Smith for getting over to Roms side at the end to shake hands with them and breaking the ice (Don't think the Rom supporters could understand that sporting gesture :roll: )

Just wondering today how things are going to pan out for next season. Who's in / out. What shape the league is going to take as Chelmsford and the Mos look to be getting together to move up to EPL. Slough Jets are moving up from ENL 2 whilst Swindon are relegated.
I guess this should form part of another thread.

I have nothing to look forward to next weekend other then F1 :(
Stub said it all was, close game & woulda been different without huska on the ice where has he come from? Fisher match ban was just stupid ! n as for sadlers slash at ankles(which i didnt see) happens all the time, Huska's 2 handed slash coulda serioursly hurt the guy he should be toast from league. Baxter was close to doin it earlya in the game but the team prevented him. Sadler is the smallest player for Enl team n just think it was rather sad for that to happen. Devils Put on some really good hits n Tim Played amazing just falling short at shooting but i thought was a better skater then huska thou.
Good game for Luke-Neil-Tim-powell n jones came close on a few occasions

Gunna miss all the hockey now :(

Well in devils look forward to september!!

BLOCK 3!

If sadler being small has anything to do with it he shouldn't be gooning it up. As I said no excuses for Huska, but the slash was across the back of the knee/calfs was really bad and completley uncalled for. Especially on the tail of high sticking the nettie.

If there was a plan to take out the nm or Huska, it should have been done much earlier!

MartinaliENL said:
Gunna miss all the hockey now :(

Well in devils look forward to september!!

BLOCK 3!
Titans are starting their summer cup campaign in may and have some quality players including a couple of very very good slovakian guys!

Rossboy19 said:
DevilDom said:
Rossboy19 said:
He has gotten off really lightly with that. It would have been about 10 games in the EIHL and 20 games if it were a Devils player!
Ban for life if it was big bad brad!
Not long enough for Huska!! :evil:
He's a disgrace!! Voth would have put him in his place! :twisted:
On the plus side Chieftains could use it to their advantage on Saturday.
GO Chieftains (honestly I'm not bitter) ;)