Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

Devils86

When I saw the headline “better the devil you know” I panicked.

To see it was Thompson was a relief. Even a bit delighted

Will be interesting to see how he does at Blaze as his resume before joining us was pretty impressive.
Who did you think it was? I haven't seen the announcement

BostonBart22

craw
Don’t really understand the comments on Thompson. I thought he was one of our best d men last year would have resigned him out of any of the others especially over mr liability Crawford
crawford must stay goals 9 assists 48..and was 3rd leading pts scorer with 57... 8 pts behind sanford....penny 9 goals 25 assist..brittain 9 goals 22 assists and they are forwards..

The_Stick_

Out of Penny and Thompson I'd keep Penny. The guy didn't set the world on fire but he was a third line center and didn't expect him to put 30 goals up across the season...wouldn't choose to bring him back but I'd have him ahead of Thompson

For me Thompson was caught in the wrong position too often, or made costly mistakes, and he wasn't quick enough to get back to recover.
I agree, Penny wasn’t brought into be a top line guy. He was decent on the PK and he was overall a solid 3rd liner. Still think we could get a bit younger and faster for that 3rd this season though

moggy#9

One of the big problems we had last season apart from defence, and apart from puck retention, and apart from coaching... (Well you get the idea, before this becomes "what have the Romans ever done for us?") was our poor performance in the face off circle. For that reason alone I can see us replacing penny. He showed flashes of what he's capable of, but for a centre we need more and we need younger.

Steve was right in saying that big Lou was a favourite of all of the owners. And Sharon's all time favourite. I had a direct conversation with Lou and expressed our appreciation and love for his stalwart presence. He made his teammates play bigger and always had their backs. He loved the Devils as much as we did him. He had big moments in big games and helped us lift a lot of. Silverware.

I think my lasting memory of Blake Thompson will be him falling over like bambi on ice several times trying to join a mele at the end of the game vs Guildford flames. Have to admit I think we certainly had to upgrade on Thompson, too many giveaways and not enough upside to compensate...and if River is a direct replacement we can hope this is definitely an improvement.

This being said I think there is a decent player in there. I remember at the start of the season the consensus was overwhelming positive on Thompson. Sometimes things just don't click and a coach doesn't get the best out of certain players. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a good season with Blaze.

E.D.S.

No surprise here but Crawford goes as well for me. I appreciate why we might, and probably will retain him but as I’ve said many times, in my opinion he was the giveaway king, not Thompson. Crawford might be growing and has time to develop but he can do that elsewhere. We shouldn’t be the club that spends money on someone who isn’t where we need them to be. We just aren’t that club (unless of course they are a Brit then it’s entirely different). Crawford’s points are impressive but I want those spread across our forwards. Plenty of offensive D men out there that can contribute in a more functional way than him. I don’t want to see pointless giveaways, needless icings and petulant penalties. He was on the ice when we conceded some big goals and was responsible very often for OT losses.

An unpopular opinion but nevertheless, defence wins leagues. I want more stability than Crawford.

Thompson was a cheap pick up and did well in patches. Respectfully, he probably performed as expected for his experience and calibre.

Last edited:

JC23

I think my lasting memory of Blake Thompson will be him falling over like bambi on ice several times trying to join a mele at the end of the game vs Guildford flames. Have to admit I think we certainly had to upgrade on Thompson, too many giveaways and not enough upside to compensate...and if River is a direct replacement we can hope this is definitely an improvement.

This being said I think there is a decent player in there. I remember at the start of the season the consensus was overwhelming positive on Thompson. Sometimes things just don't click and a coach doesn't get the best out of certain players. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a good season with Blaze.
Just want to add some agreement, and some actual stats to this.

Over the entire season, Thompson had 15 games where his +/- was negative, the rest he was either even, or he had a positive +/-, with some games even being +3 on multiple occasions.

For me, it was down to defence pairing, and coaching. Blake Thompson should have come in and been a third pairing d-man at best, and would have been solid back there with a defensively sound partner, like a Lou.

I fully expect Danny Stewart to get much more out of Thompson than Brodie ever did.

Best of luck to him, except against us.

Apologies to Brian and Steve if my post came across as inflammatory. It was born out of my own personal gratitude to Big Lou and I thank you both for clarifying that you feel the same way as the fan base.
It’s reassuring to know that his service to the Devils has been recognised by you all.

moggy#9

I find it an interesting debate about Crawford. It's very similar to the one we were having a year ago about register. Of course Crawford had the benefit of youth and I think he'll improve in a different pairing.

Wannabe2

Our past coach couldn’t get the best out of anyone,

Wannabe2

No surprise here but Crawford goes as well for me. I appreciate why we might, and probably will retain him but as I’ve said many times, in my period times he was the giveaway king, not Thompson. Crawford might be growing and has time to develop but he can do that elsewhere. We shouldn’t be the club that spends money on someone who isn’t where we need them to be. We just aren’t that club (unless of course they are a Brit then it’s entirely different). Crawford’s points are impressive but I want those spread across our forwards. Plenty of offensive D men out there that can contribute in a more functional way than him. I don’t want to see pointless giveaways, needless icings and petulant penalties. He was on the ice when we conceded some big goals and was responsible very often for OT losses.

An unpopular opinion but nevertheless, defence wins leagues. I want more stability than Crawford.

Thompson was a cheap pick up and did well in patches. Respectfully, he probably performed as expected for his experience and calibre.
With you 1000% Crawford would have been one of my first gassed, absolutely lousy as a D Man, never took to him,very poor defensively and a cheap shot to boot. Very very weak cog in our Defense, but will probably be back as every team makes mistakes and him coming back will be one of ours.

RedDevil17

That will always be hilarious