Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2023/24

SMJ

Wow! I wasn't expecting such a high profile signing. As PR says, he knows exactly what he's getting with this guy. Add Sam herr and another winger and we'll be rocking.
Sam Herr has re-signed for another year in Pete Russell 's old club in the DEL

Slartibartfast

Great signing. Top point scorer for Kassel Huskies 2022-23 Top goal scorer for Poprad 2021/22 season despite playing 12 fewer games. Top goal scorer for Bad Nauheim 2020-21. Top point scorer in Dornbirn 2014-15 season. Top point and goal scorer for Providence Bruins (AHL) in 2010-11.

That is one hell of a CV. He seems to be pretty consistent. This guy is definitely our first line centre

jenks33

5”11. Not sure I’d want him on a line with Cox and Sanford if they are returning
Who would you stick those two with, Joey Martin again? To be fair Arniel is slightly bigger and taller than Joey and listening to Pete Russell probably plays with a bit more grit than Joey as well. Sanford and Cox definitely need to be play with a centre that plays a 200ft game and has a great work ethic as they aren’t the best defensively.
I’d probably keep Cox, Martin, Sanford together and I’m hoping Arniel will Centre our first line with two new wingers.

E.D.S.

Who would you stick those two with, Joey Martin again? To be fair Arniel is slightly bigger and taller than Joey and listening to Pete Russell probably plays with a bit more grit than Joey as well. Sanford and Cox definitely need to be play with a centre that plays a 200ft game and has a great work ethic as they aren’t the best defensively.
I’d probably keep Cox, Martin, Sanford together and I’m hoping Arniel will Centre our first line with two new wingers.
Difficult to say until you see the full team but there aren't many better 200ft players than Joey. Plus, it's easy to say, put Joey on the 2nd line but then he just ends up leading by example and muscles his way back on to the first line by being the true leader that he is. What I don't want to see is a first line that is unable to retain the puck and having to watch Cox and Sanford dump the puck for a break and a line change. May be this means that Cox and Sanford aren't coming back but we need size and sustained ozone pressure, that wont be achieved with a lightweight first line and also a d core that can't exit the zone properly, hence the need to let Crawford and his dire passing go.

Assume this means Brittain isn't back if he's playing number 11 or is that wishful thinking?

Rempel16

Good luck to him.

He's done well for his 2 seasons here, but deserves a shot at being a regular number 1.

I know there was constant debate over Kozun / Bowns this season, but neither really filled me with confidence if I'm honest (team defence may have contributed). I feel he's certainly replaceable.

jenks33

Good luck to him.

He's done well for his 2 seasons here, but deserves a shot at being a regular number 1.

I know there was constant debate over Kozun / Bowns this season, but neither really filled me with confidence if I'm honest (team defence may have contributed). I feel he's certainly replaceable.
I agree. A good goalie but I’ve just seen people panicking on twitter saying it’s a huge loss…Kozun is a very replaceable goalie.

Devils86

For his sake you've got to hope that he's their starting NM, and they aren't going to run with 3 NMs this season.

Jordan Hedley, who was one of 2 Brit NM they had last season in a 3, is showing as having signed with MK Lightning for the new season (don't recall an announcement by Blaze about that this off season so maybe he left earlier). Which is also where Will Kerlin is supposed to have signed....

Also implies that Paavo Holsa is on the move...

jenks33

He is replaceable, but I'm sorry to see him go and wish him the best. I do think we've let the wrong one go though. I do hope we have an absolute stud of a goalie incoming.
I’m not team Kozun but I wouldn’t say I’m team Bowns either. This will be an unpopular opinion but Kozun has never convinced me that he’s got the mindset to be a number 1 goalie and challenge for a title. I appreciate people will say he’s had a lack of opportunities and that’s fair enough but the few opportunities he did get in the last 2 seasons to nail down the number one goalie tag I’m not sure he looked all that comfortable. Clearly he’s good enough to be a number one goalie for a mid to lower table eihl team but for the “big 4” he’s a number 2 in my opinion. I won’t be losing any sleep that he’s going.

moggy#9

I’m not team Kozun but I wouldn’t say I’m team Bowns either. This will be an unpopular opinion but Kozun has never convinced me that he’s got the mindset to be a number 1 goalie and challenge for a title. I appreciate people will say he’s had a lack of opportunities and that’s fair enough but the few opportunities he did get in the last 2 seasons to nail down the number one goalie tag I’m not sure he looked all that comfortable. Clearly he’s good enough to be a number one goalie for a mid to lower table eihl team but for the “big 4” he’s a number 2 in my opinion. I won’t be losing any sleep that he’s going.
That's fair. I think that I've said that I consider both him and bowns to be second tier goalies in this league. To be a serious contender these days a club has to have a besky or carruth standard goalie.