Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2017/18

I get the lacklustre response to a point but is there really any other player you'd rather have take a penalty shot other than Mo? He's been injured for a while, he's always been a great player.

pjj365

It was Mega Monday again

I'll not comment on the signings as I don't know what Lordo is thinking or what has happened/is happening on the signing front, what he envisages the team looking like next year nor what rolls people will play

But for a second year running the big signing hype did not match the product

0ne interesting comment though - unless I misheard - was Lordo saying he did not know where Batch would be playing. If I got this right it suggests new signings are not as advanced as may be thought or is it misdirection/teasing again

Finny

Without sounding rude, if people got over-excited by the build up to this then maybe they need more in their life. Especially during the off-season.

I briefly checked Twitter on Friday but when there were no announcements I thought "oh well, none this week". I had no idea there would be a live stream until I got a message Sat Eve asking me to guess the signings.

I quite liked the idea though. Yes it was a shame the first feed cut out but that's technology for you. The second stream was good though and my only complaint was that it wasn't a bit longer with more questions to the owners. But then I guess a lot of the questions from fans would have been about potential signings which they couldn't answer anyway.
And if people are disappointed by these signings via a live feed then I guess they would have been disappointed by them being announced Friday afternoon too. Mo's signing has been criticised as "jobs for the boys" before - and he went on to be one of the top goalscorers in the league. Batch is the toughest Brit in the league and one of the most versatile. With Culligan retiring I can see Batch being the one switching between D and F as and when we need it. And re-signing Murdy is huge. Best backup in the league who came in last season when Bowns was injured and won us some huge games.

As I said, I enjoyed the live stream idea and although the execution could be a bit better it was good for a first attempt. Personally, I'd like to see them do it again next year.

So I was surprised to come on here and see all the negativity. But I do think that's those fans' fault rather than the clubs'.
I can't help but feel some of the posts help. "I'd love us to sign x player." "I've found this player on eliteprospects and he'd be great"
Most of these players seem to be NHL to AHL standard. So fans reading the forum start to expect those level of players as standard. Everything else then becomes an anti-climax and if we did sign someone of that standard it would be "oh, well we were expecting that".

Personally, I'm very very pleased with our signings so far this season. After our domination last year it's up to the rest of the league to step up and catch us. So far no one seems to have done that whilst we've re-signed most of our team and upgraded in a couple of positions already.

Johnnybravo1927

Without sounding rude, if people got over-excited by the build up to this then maybe they need more in their life. Especially during the off-season.

I briefly checked Twitter on Friday but when there were no announcements I thought "oh well, none this week". I had no idea there would be a live stream until I got a message Sat Eve asking me to guess the signings.

I quite liked the idea though. Yes it was a shame the first feed cut out but that's technology for you. The second stream was good though and my only complaint was that it wasn't a bit longer with more questions to the owners. But then I guess a lot of the questions from fans would have been about potential signings which they couldn't answer anyway.
And if people are disappointed by these signings via a live feed then I guess they would have been disappointed by them being announced Friday afternoon too. Mo's signing has been criticised as "jobs for the boys" before - and he went on to be one of the top goalscorers in the league. Batch is the toughest Brit in the league and one of the most versatile. With Culligan retiring I can see Batch being the one switching between D and F as and when we need it. And re-signing Murdy is huge. Best backup in the league who came in last season when Bowns was injured and won us some huge games.

As I said, I enjoyed the live stream idea and although the execution could be a bit better it was good for a first attempt. Personally, I'd like to see them do it again next year.

So I was surprised to come on here and see all the negativity. But I do think that's those fans' fault rather than the clubs'.
I can't help but feel some of the posts help. "I'd love us to sign x player." "I've found this player on eliteprospects and he'd be great"
Most of these players seem to be NHL to AHL standard. So fans reading the forum start to expect those level of players as standard. Everything else then becomes an anti-climax and if we did sign someone of that standard it would be "oh, well we were expecting that".

Personally, I'm very very pleased with our signings so far this season. After our domination last year it's up to the rest of the league to step up and catch us. So far no one seems to have done that whilst we've re-signed most of our team and upgraded in a couple of positions already.
Perfectly worded. Well said

ASHIPP

A lot will depend upon the Hotham Bros situation. Guessing this is explained by Lordo's comments about where Batchy might be playing...and also Lordo did intimate a few weeks ago that the d-corps was not nailed down because a couple of existing players were considering options.

That apart, if we are lucky enough to welcome back Azzy and at least one of the Hotham Bros and presuming Morissette is playing on the 4th line(?), then there are still 2 import players to join the team.

Last edited:

Samael

Lol love the way you say people need to have more in their life because they are dissapointed about no new players signed then you waffle on for ages in a self indulgent post which l couldnt even be bothered to read in its entirety because, you know, l have better things to do unlike some with a post count in excess of 7000....

Anyway, l think given the fuss that was made fans are justifiably dissapointed. That isnt taking away from Mo, Batch and Murdy all of which l'm pleased are back, l just think returning player signings don't warrant such hype. Save it for the new guys.

osh

Lol love the way you say people need to have more in their life because they are dissapointed about no new players signed then you waffle on for ages in a self indulgent post which l couldnt even be bothered to read in its entirety because, you know, l have better things to do unlike some with a post count in excess of 7000....

Anyway, l think given the fuss that was made fans are justifiably dissapointed. That isnt taking away from Mo, Batch and Murdy all of which l'm pleased are back, l just think returning player signings don't warrant such hype. Save it for the new guys.
Finny on his white steed to the rescue ...c'mon Samael, what else would you expect from someone who is trying not to be 'rude' and subsequently tells us what we need in our lives, especially in the off season. I was disappointed with last nights announcement after much hype, but others are satisfied, so be it.

Finny

Would I be right in saying we now have 10 imports signed, with 4 to go.??
Yes. Although I wouldn't be massively shocked if we started the season with a spare import.

The fact that Lord mentioned Batch being used as a forward suggests to me that he's either planning on bringing back both Hothams or if they opt not to return he'll be trying to bring in too further defencemen. So we have to wait and see if Paris is a replacement for one of them or a replacement for Batch.
At the moment, I like the idea of him being a replacement for Batch. A tough, physical defenceman but with more offence than Batch. Depending on whether they both come back ore we replace like for like that gives us a high-scoring defenceman on each D pairing.

It then means that Batch is effectively Chris Jones' replacement on the 4th line and with Craig Moore plus an import that's a very strong 4th line.
Most fans seem to be assuming that Faryna will play alongside Benti and Martin with Asselin re-signing but not yet announced to play alongside Ulmer and Haddad again.
Which could leave us with:
Mo - Myers - Lord
Batch - Import - Moore

My personal opinion is that 4th line centre will be a speedy, hard-hitting forward in the Hervato mold which I think we missed last season. But that would mean we're missing an out and out enforcer. And they tend to be wingers.
Which makes me think that we'll sign a 15 import like we did last season and then Mo and Lord will rotate when everyone is fit.

matbur

I'm not bothered by 'hype' surrounding confirmation that three players have re-signed, although I do get it if people were hoping to see a big name unveiled as they're out in Calgary. At the end of the day though, it's not as if our roster has been ripped apart by rival teams picking up our players and essentially we're bring back players who won us the league last year.

I don't buy the 'jobs for the boys' thing about Morrisette for a minute. If the organisation felt he wasn't good enough or fit enough, he simply would not be getting offered a salary from the Devils - professional sport can be a harsh and ruthless place and it is black and white when it comes to contracts. They would've discussed his role, however that looks moving forward, and if Lord is referring to him as a 'silent leader', you can sure as hell bet that he must bring a lot of calming influence and high professional standards to the team, in order to be given the captaincy; things that unless you're inside the dressing room never get appreciated by fans.

The Devils are reassembling a winning team with a track record of performing under pressure and coming through adversity, plus adding a few new faces to keep it fresh - that's what they said they were going to do this summer and that's exactly what they're doing.

Reactions get a bit hysterical on here at times.

Tad-cu

Sorry guys, I'm really chuffed that Mo is back!
Lots of goals, great goals too, amazing blocks on PK, a senior player now and a Cardiff Devil through and through.
Maybe, like some cricketers, his own game suffered with the extra responsibility of being captain.

Johnnybravo1927

Lots of goals, great goals too, amazing blocks on PK, a senior player now and a Cardiff Devil through and through.
Maybe, like some cricketers, his own game suffered with the extra responsibility of being captain.
I agree here. Brings more than just what he does on the rink. Was described last season as the glue man and that rings true to me.

KaneDevils

Typical Finny post, "I don't mean to be rude" and is then, well, very rude and insulting. Several "likes" though, so all's ok.

I can't help but think mo is returning this season because of him being good/close friends with the coach. Sorry, but I think progression is vital despite being so successful last season. He's a player who, could and should be bettered, especially as he was injured for a large part of last season. Keeping him because he's good at penalty shots? Are you being serious. Murdy and batch returning is great news, and I think merits the hype. mo, not so much. He was a great player and important to our plans. Past tense. No room for sentiment I'm afraid.

ASHIPP

His game suffered because he had a serious injury not the weight of captaincy. Remembering back he seemed to be playing with that injury longer than he should. Then had surgery that he took a long time to recover from.

Other players stepped up very well to captain the team on the ice to cover Morissette (and are worthy contenders for the Captaincy but that won't happen). Can't comment on his abilities/impact as captain off the ice because not privy to that.

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

Would I be right in saying we now have 10 imports signed, with 4 to go.??
Think Asselin and A Hotham will already be signed - so that leaves 2 for a full quota of 14 - however having sign Mo back they're maybe looking at sharing bench duties he and Lord? If so we'll have 5 more to sign.

That's only my view, nothing to back it up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

So no hype if Asselin or Andrew Hotham return?

Devil_Abroad

Typical Finny post, "I don't mean to be rude" and is then, well, very rude and insulting. Several "likes" though, so all's ok.

I can't help but think mo is returning this season because of him being good/close friends with the coach. Sorry, but I think progression is vital despite being so successful last season. He's a player who, could and should be bettered, especially as he was injured for a large part of last season. Keeping him because he's good at penalty shots? Are you being serious. Murdy and batch returning is great news, and I think merits the hype. mo, not so much. He was a great player and important to our plans. Past tense. No room for sentiment I'm afraid.
I see it differently; and that's not a problem.

For whatever reason they've brought Mo back (good leader, top pk, before injury (he then played for a few weeks with that first injury) was one of the leading point scorers, turned out to be a good bench coach, great in the dressing room, TK likes continuity etc), they believe him to be an asset to the club.

This may be a hobby to the owners, but not only are they fans I believe they bring the 'winning is everything' mentality they probably have in their business lives. I don't think they'd allow Lord to sign players on sentiment; I also don't think Lord would want to either seeing he's trying to forge a career as a coach.

Just my thoughts.

Ocko

Also worth remembering that until his first injury Mo lead the team in scoring for over 3 months of the season. Injury had clearly hampered his campaign from then on.

He's proved many, including myself, wrong before when it was perceived he was signed over Max; every confidence he'll do it again.

KaneDevils

I see it differently; and that's not a problem.

For whatever reason they've brought Mo back (good leader, top pk, before injury (he then played for a few weeks with that first injury) was one of the leading point scorers, turned out to be a good bench coach, great in the dressing room, TK likes continuity etc), they believe him to be an asset to the club.

This may be a hobby to the owners, but not only are they fans I believe they bring the 'winning is everything' mentality they probably have in their business lives. I don't think they'd allow Lord to sign players on sentiment; I also don't think Lord would want to either seeing he's trying to forge a career as a coach.

Just my thoughts.
I see your point mate. I think sentiment often gets in the way, sometimes accidentally. For example, their is a divide on Merseyside right now with Everton 're-signing Rooney. I just think for mo now, it could be one season too many and I was personally expecting a replacement. He's served us well and all that, no doubt, but I think with CHL on the horizon, a replacement should of been introduced. Especially with last season's serious injury/injuries. Just slightly surprised by his return but not overly disappointed.

Devil_Abroad

I see your point mate. I think sentiment often gets in the way, sometimes accidentally. For example, their is a divide on Merseyside right now with Everton 're-signing Rooney. I just think for mo now, it could be one season too many and I was personally expecting a replacement. He's served us well and all that, no doubt, but I think with CHL on the horizon, a replacement should of been introduced. Especially with last season's serious injury/injuries. Just slightly surprised by his return but not overly disappointed.
My thoughts on Rooney to Everton - why? Everton, why?

Rooney has not been the player he was when he first left Everton for Utd in the last 2 or 3 years. Not sure he's been the same since Ferguson left. So I agree there must be some reason Everton have for taking hm back, whether that's sentiment, publicity, or what; but I find it hard to believe it's for his current football form on he pitch.

Mind you, I am a red lol