Car treasure hunt and CDSL general meeting

Thread starter #1
Please see below details of the car treasure hunt and general meeting

CDSL TREASURE HUNT

The supporters club Annual Treasure Hunt will take place on Sunday August 7th 2011 commencing 3:00pm. The Treasure Hunt will start outside the ice rink. Entry will be £5 per car and the event will finish at a local hostelry where the winners will be presented with their prize.

CDSL GENERAL MEETING

In addition the supporters club will be holding a General Meeting for the members prior to the Treasure Hunt. The meeting will start at 2.15pm on the 7th August 2011 at the Starbucks close to the ice rink.

Starbucks DUNLEAVY DRIVE
UNITS 1-5
Cardiff
CF11 0SR

If you have any items that you wish to include on the agenda for the General Meeting then please pm me ASAP to ensure that notification is well in advance of the meeting and in any case not later Thursday 4th August. Please remember to include your name and membership number (if known).

If you would like to become more involved with the supporters club, please contact me.

Thank you

Mags Morgan
on behalf of CDSL

Finny

Do you have to be a member of CDSL to take part in the Car Treasure Hunt?

Apologies if I'm being stupid here - but I wasn't even aware CDSL were still running? Last I can remember was when we made them dormant but thinking about that now it was years ago???

Thread starter #7
You don't need to be a member to take part in the car treasure hunt - everyone is welcome!

Last season, CDSL was still in existence. If you look at a programme for last season, you will see that CDSL sponsored Sam Smith's away shirt. At the end of the season, one lucky CDSL member won the shirt (unfortunately it wasn't me).

Hopefully this year, CDSL will play a more active role once again, so we would welcome your thoughts on what you would like from a supporters club.

gneissgirl1 said:
Hopefully this year, CDSL will play a more active role once again, so we would welcome your thoughts on what you would like from a supporters club.
There is Bob's Tours already up and running and constantly getting full buses to a lot of away games and seem to have the perfect mix on the coaches. How would you be able to compete against them if you did start up a supporters club? Especially after the Sheffield "failure" last year with the coaches.

Chris

Administrator
They've not even mentioned away game travel have they?

I don't remember what they used to do, but I can remember CDSL presenting money to the club on a regular basis on the ice in the WNIR through lots of other events they ran. What's posted here is just one of them?

Chris.

Spatzy said:
gneissgirl1 said:
There is Bob's Tours already up and running and constantly getting full buses to a lot of away games and seem to have the perfect mix on the coaches. How would you be able to compete against them if you did start up a supporters club? Especially after the Sheffield "failure" last year with the coaches.
Are you asking how a 'supporters club' would fair against a fan who runs away travel?

Surely the two don't really correlate?

I'd like to see more social events with the team in attendance, some discounts for members - money off tickets for example. I'm not sure if CDSL are going forward aligned with the club or not but I think as there are no additional benefits for ST holders I think something should be offered by CDSL, that would certainly draw in members which I understand has been a problem in the last few seasons.

However it needs to be something worthwhile, I for one go to the Harvester before the games, if a discount could be obtained there that would be great and I know a lot of fans go there before the games - it's beneficial for both parties, I don't know how feasible that is though. Maybe a deal could be struck with Becandsi, don't they have a pub in penarth?

I don't know if travel is feasible for CDSL - why not try and merge the two together? At the end of the day, we all support the same club.

Just a few rambling thoughts...

Chris said:
They've not even mentioned away game travel have they?

I don't remember what they used to do, but I can remember CDSL presenting money to the club on a regular basis on the ice in the WNIR through lots of other events they ran. What's posted here is just one of them?

Chris.
They mentioned a Supporters Club in the original post, which is what i quoted in my post.

If i remember correctly im sure CDSL were part of the supports club in the old rink?

Chris

Administrator
But a supporters club isn't just limited to away travel?

I don't imagine they'd be trying to compete with whatever trips you're planning, and if they are, hopefully/maybe the mistakes made by CDSC or whatever it was called, won't be made again.

Chris.

CDSL was the supporters club in the wnir and organised social events through the year, as well as away travel. All profits were presented to the club.

As Chris said it would be doubtful that they would compete with trips already planned (I don't know as I'm nt involved), you sound against the idea spatzy, are you concerned about losing a money spinner?

Also the Sheffield coaches were run by the club, not CDSL last year.

gneissgirl1 said:
You don't need to be a member to take part in the car treasure hunt - everyone is welcome!

Last season, CDSL was still in existence. If you look at a programme for last season, you will see that CDSL sponsored Sam Smith's away shirt. At the end of the season, one lucky CDSL member won the shirt (unfortunately it wasn't me).

I didn't go down much last season, so who are the members of CDSL then, I was one when it existed so I'm just wondereing who's in it and where did the funds come from to sponsor the shirt ?

Finny

Only on the inferno could a simple advert for a treasure hunt turn into an argument! :lol: (although that will probably be my fault too.....)

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who hadn't realised CDSL was active again. I'm guessing the reason it has been dormant was because the club were planning on creating their own supporters group, but at that fans forum it seemed to suggest they would let CDSL do their own stuff?

I don't think there are any problems with there being Bobs Tours and CDSL buses - though there might not be much demand for them to run both to the same trips. For popular away trips though it might be good to have a family friendly bus run by CDSL and a more adult orientated bus run by Bob Tours where alcohol is permitted. It is what happens with the football anyway.

In recent years though, away travel was only a small part of what CDSL did. They used to arrange discounts for its members at local companies - organised social events whilst raising money for the club.

If CDSL is back then that is great, even more so if they and the club are supporting each other.

If the away travel is only a small proportion of cdsl then that should be fine. The reason i posted about the buses and the away travel is because i thought that cdsl would have a more hands on approach with arranging it. This would have been a problem if you had both bobs tours and cdsl going to the same match which would be more than likely pointless as i doubt both buses would be full.

Lets just wait and see what happens in this meeting.

fdlf666

CDSL was the official Supporters Club of the Devils back in the WNIR days
It was and still is run seperately from the Devils Club by unpaid volunteers but it had a great understanding and rapport with the then owners) who welcomed and appreciated the need of, and, the stirling voluntary work of a Supporters Club.
In its day it raised money for the junior sections of the Devils and then the Devils itself. It was raising approx a £1000 per month for the Devils.
Its volunteers ran the 50/50 on the match nights and prize money ranged from £130 to £300.
CDSL ran the travel, with CDSL members having the benefits of lower fares. CDSL also organised events for Supporters (CDSL members paying lower entry fees) such as the Treasure Hunt, Bowling nights, BBQ's, Race Nights, even the Annual Dinner and Presentation Evening, etc. All profits raised were donated to the Devils.
Unfortunately a certain owner wanted more control of 'the supporters' money and attempted to run most things himself (mainly into the ground).
The Travel side was stopped mainly due to lack of numbers traveling to make the trips financially feasible.
CDSL, as a limited company, hasn't stoped running, it still has Officials and some members and has continually had AGM's and ran Treasure Hunt's. I believe all events have been advertised on this site over the past years.
CDSL had talks with PR last season but obviously he wanted a large degree of control and couldn't really comprehend what CDSL could bring to club.
The club tried the 'Red Army' but didn't put any effort into it. The 'Red Army' tried coach travel albeit a one off free trip to Sheffield, to boost the Squealers attendence, but then decided against any further trips.
Some Supporters incorrectly thought that CDSL were running this trip and CDSL had a bit of a slagging off.
CDSL have recently informed to PR that they will offer to provide help to the Devils if he requires it, but I think as he cannot have the total control he wants, he won't accept this very generous offer.
CDSL is still alive and running although in a very limited capacity. If you are interested in joining or finding out more turn up on the 7th August.
If you can't then contact Maggs Morgan. I'm sure she will give you any information you require.