Capitals v Devils - 27/12 - 6:00pm - League - Chat/Updates

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Hey hey,

We'll be running Match Night Live! for this game from the usual location of www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl

OJ will be hosting this game and as always he can be reached before/during the game at matchnightlive@gmail.com

Devils are at full strength I assume, we didn't look to pick up any injuries during Fridays game against the Steelers and with Vanderveeken now in, we should have a full import quota playing? When the team lines up, I guess we'll find out if Burrows, Piggot and Harding have made the journey up also.

Not sure on the Capitals injuries, they did miss Sladok, Valecko and Petrina for the game against the Giants on Friday, turning up with only 11 skaters...

Only the second game of the season between the two teams, the first game in Cardiff saw us win 3-2 against a weakened Capitals team, hopefully a more convincing victory up in Edinburgh, although a win whatever the score will be fine :)

Chris.

Re: Capitals v Devils - 27/12 - 6:00pm - League - Chat/Updat

Aswell as MNL does any one know if Edinburgh still offer a web-cast service?

My travelling texters report that they might not arrive in time for face off.

Not to worry MNL's Scottish Correspondent - Steve - Borders Devil is at Murrayfield already and reports that the team have arrived at Murrayfield Ice Rink.

For breaking team news see MNL coverage.

Ger-Devils

Big turnaround. Seems the bus legs disappeared after 50minutes or so! Good effort and lets keep this streak continue!

Hopefully a win in Belfast Friday!

kettdevil1

Big win tonight, with the Steelers losing things are tightening up nicely in the race behind the top two.

The next four games will show whether we have turned the corner and will be in the shakeup at the end or whether our ambitions are limited to holding off the Clan....

Safe journey back everyone

Goodness me what are they doing, score one goal in 48 mins then four in 12 mins. I would be grateful if they could spread them out a bit just stop me having palpitations!!

Well done Devils four point weekend that's what we need even if it isn't pretty

sounds like an exciting finish to the end of the game. brilliant 4 point christmas. bring on the giants and blaze, another 4 points there would set us up superbly for the new year.

Wannabe2

Well done lads, dug very deep there and kept us on our toes.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Great result , especially having played back to back games along with a long trip up to Scotland.

Scott Dobben got a nasty high stick to the left cheek ( as posted on Twitter with a photo ) - will get himself a nice scar there by the looks of it.

In all honesty, I had my doubts when I was reading the MNL but wow, those last ten minutes or so must have been great to see! Just don't do it again, i want my heart to carry on a little longer please. Capitals are definitely getting stronger, considering they only have 15 skaters at a time.

A win against Giants away would be another great win, especially Giants loss tonight at home. Things are really starting to heat up in the League!

ASHIPP

Wow! Stunning 3rd period and a good road win -especially as they were without one of their MVPs, Scott Matzka. A 4 point Christmas period and great for momentum/confidence going into two tough weekends against teams higher up.
Devils are finding a way to win on the road, that's great to see. :cool: Well done, Guys. :D

p.s. Hope Scott Dobben is ok after high sticks to the face. :?

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #15

Typing this a day later so probably get things muddled up and/or completely wrong, but was far too tired to do a rubbish report after the 400 mile trip yesterday!

The first period was pretty quiet really, neither team seemed to be going all out to win and no one was throwing any hits, period was a bit slow rely, but as I said to OJ for mnl i,m not sure the shots on goal weren't totally biased, it felt like Craze had all the work to do whilst Lyle didn't have much to do at all.

The second period which ended 1-1 was a little bit more exciting, Dobbens goal saw Craze save the initial shot from another of our players only for dobben to get to the puck first which had somehow made its way behind Craze's left leg before the caps defenders could react, it was a very tight angle, so pretty well played! The capsequalising goal was very similar really, lyle made a save on the initial shot, but the puck bounced vertically up from his right leg and in a mad scramble Mckenzie somehow batted it out of the air and it bobbled over the line.

The third started very much the same, better than the first period until Franks stupid 2+2 penalty, at the risk of upsetting the twitter massive who say he can't do any wrong, the slashing and boarding penalties were totally unnecessary and some if our players were left shaking their heads as Frank headed to the bin, at times he can be unbeatable but the silly penalties can be a real letdown. The Capitals scired their first powerplay goal after K Smith was also penalised and it was a 5on3 in their favour, theur second goal came after Kenton had returned, I don't remember the details but the Capitals powerplay wasn't bad at all.

At 3-1 down I certainly didnt think we'd be coming back into the game, I didn't really see the incident with Dobben, but there didnt seem to be any intent there and it was only Frank who reacted to it. With 4 minutes of powerplay, we were terrible forabout three and a half minutes, struggling to setup and even get into the Capitals zone, then all of a sudden Richardson turned up, scored our second goal and the game was back on. After the goal, Macrae had a talk with everyone on the bench and we seemed to come back out with a completely different mentality, true captain material there i'd say :)

The next goal came from Voth who'd been getting random nonsense from the Capitals fans everytime he dared to touch one of their precious little babies. He proceded to celebrate in exactly the same way Jarolin had on the Capitals 3rd goal, this seemed to wind their fans up even more, but went down well with us Devils fans :D

I don't really remember the details of macraes goal, but he once agaib came back to the bench and got the team going which was good to see. Our last goal was a thing of beauty and I think just about every player gave Davies a slap on the back afterwards, it was shot from just after the blueline but Craze didn't have time to do anything with it. A shame the Caps don't do highlights anymore!

All in all a good game considering we were missing Matzka for the whole thing and Dobben who was double shifting before the injury. We didnt look too tired afterwards so a decent showing in Belfast hopefully!

Not as good a writeup as finny, koop or ashipps, but hopefully not too bad :)

What a great game which Chris has summed up nicely above.

One thing to add is that one of the Caps' goals was as near to an own goal as I've seen in ice-hockey. Lyle saved, the puck went up into the air right in front of goal and one of our defenders (I think it was Richardson) seemed to control the puck on his chest, slide it down to his foot and then bury it agonisingly slowly into the net. At this point our decision to sit with the home fans and gloat was backfiring but the last five minutes were fantastic.

Once again a big thank you to all the players and staff for being so approachable and chatting to us before and after the game, especially to Scott Dobben who stood there with blood pouring down his face for me to take his photograph!!

Roll on the Triple Header...
Also, is anyone going to Braehead on the 21st January?

Finny

Great post Chris.

What was the actual celebration that Jarolin and Voth did?

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #19

They scored, then skated really quickly to centre ice and raised their stick in celebration, literally nothing to complain or get worked up about, but the Caps fans did anyway...

Chris

Finny

Chris said:
They scored, then skated really quickly to centre ice and raised their stick in celebration, literally nothing to complain or get worked up about, but the Caps fans did anyway...

Chris
Brilliant! :lol: