Can we win the league?

wildthing74

Thread starter #1
I am starting to wonder?All the talk is of Nottingham and Coventry(If you listen to the loudmouths Like Simms around this league).
As usual we had a bad start injury and suspension wise but no other teams pulled up trees during that time either.Our Yorkshire friends have not had a good start either so with nobody pulling away I do thin kwe have a good chance.
We all saw with a full bench we were more than a match for Nottingham.Ok,the PP was deadly on the night and they did show patches when they were the better team but we are at least as strong as all the teams in the league on current form.
Nice to even consider this when ususally I have been happy to get up anywhere near the 'big four' over the last few years.

Its better that all the talk is on Nottingham and Coventry. Less pressure on us and more on them to perform. They are 2 of the 'big 4' and should be challenging for the league we aren't so there's no pressure on us at all (despite JB trying to tell us that there is). We just have to make sure we keep right up there with them and not let any team get too far in front of us.

Actually we just need to go out and win every single game from now to the end of the season and then there's no problem :D

Finny

Can we win the league? - Yes

Will we win the league? - Don't know.

However, I'm far more confident after last weekends results than I was before. My worry at the moment is that as a squad we don't know how to win ugly. We should have ground out a result against Belfast at home but we didn't. We should have ground out a result against Nottingham in the cup game - but we didn't.

Sheffield last season won a lot of ugly games that they probably shouldn't have. I have no doubt that our team is good enough to win the league, but it's a question of whether we can get drill that winning mentality into everyone's head this season.

Using Sheffield as an example again, 2 years they had a good team but they weren't finishing teams off and winning games they should. Over the course of the season they learnt how to - and the following season they won the league easily.

Finny said:
Sheffield last season won a lot of ugly games that they probably shouldn't have. I have no doubt that our team is good enough to win the league, but it's a question of whether we can get drill that winning mentality into everyone's head this season.
Wasn't every game sheffield played last year ugly? :lol:

wildthing74

Thread starter #7
Think Cruickshank had a lot to do with that.Pretty much can turn a game with a hit/fight and fire his team mates up.Quality signing and maybe a player like that for us would make all the difference?Although we got Vother,we all know that he only has to give somebody a dirty look to get an extended ban.

Wannabe2

This team is capable of beating anyone, but only if the whole team show up, and play 60 mins of hockey. If all the players are prepared to go thru a brick wall for each other then the other pretenders had better look out. We have the personnel, and we have the coach to take this squad to the very pinnacle of British Ice Hockey, but only if everyone wants it as much as each other. Will we do it this year, myself i think we just might.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

I don't think many people were saying this after the 2 Belfast losses. 2 excellent wins last weekend and I really hope it continues, but I don't think we should get too excited until we get a decent winning run going.

Saying this, I'm very excited about our chances of a much better season than recent years.

ASHIPP

This team is IS capable of beating anyone.....but so are some of the other EIHL teams capable of doing that. The Devils have got so much potential to do anything - given the performances last weekend and it's exciting. If our defence stays strong, and the M Line does click, who knows? IMHO, the Devils must be top3 contenders this season......by Christmas, we'll have a better idea if they are going to go higher.

Chris

Administrator
I Think what both Finny, and Ashipp have said is what we need to keep in mind.

The league certainly appears to be a lot closer so far this season, even Nottingham with their winning streak aren't THAT far ahead of the pack and i'm hopeful we could reach #1 at some point along the season, especially if it's right at the end :D

We do need to grind some wins out like Finny says though, We could/should have beaten Nottingham in the CC game down here, but a temporary lapse and we ended up losing 2-3, same for the Belfast games.

Hopefully with the line changes appearing to work last weekend we can play like that every game.

Chris.

Wannabe2

Wannabe2 said:
This team is capable of beating anyone, but only if the whole team show up, and play 60 mins of hockey. If all the players are prepared to go thru a brick wall for each other then the other pretenders had better look out. We have the personnel, and we have the coach to take this squad to the very pinnacle of British Ice Hockey, but only if everyone wants it as much as each other. Will we do it this year, myself i think we just might.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.
And so far i see no reason to change my mind, its looking very good at the Mo.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

I think we will come second.
Things are looking up with the the line changes but as always were looking good one minute and looking like pe wee players the next.

Coventry may be the team to look out for. played 9 won 7.

If we are ever going to win a League title then we are going to have to win more games away especially against teams like Nottingham, i was there on Sunday and sometimes when you travel away to these games you you get a feeling you aint going to win - probably because our away record isn't that good, we have to start grinding out results away and even getting the odd point here and there until then i dont think we will win the League.

Going back to Sundays game i thought our passing was diabolical by the way.

I think in individual games we've looked really good (and I mean REALLY good). But consistancy is the key, and if we're going to win the league, we need to find it fast. There have been a few too many games where mental lapses have cost us and we have got to cut it out.

I definatley think we'll bring some silverware home this year - challenge cup, play-offs or league!

wildthing74

Thread starter #17
Big win last night so maybe,just maybe?If we can go and get a win on Sunday against another form team and start to win in the big arenas we have got to be up there.
Cheers to the Caps for that result by the way.

ASHIPP

Yeah, the true potential of the Capitals is finally being revealed. Think they will be pretty strong as season goes on. :) Fantastic that the Devils have got the measure of Coventry at the moment....however, I still think they are the team to watch if you bear in mind their win ratio against their games played so far. :? Of course, 'games in hand' doesn't mean anything...they've got to get the wins, which we already have done! ;)

TheStub

The big problem for the caps will be the lack of depth on the bench. They are not going to be running with a full compliment of imports, so those double headers or 3 games in 5 nights may start wearing them down.

But will be ones to watch.

Hull may have dropped too many points already, but when they are fit I can see them causing some upsets.