Brits

Thread starter #1
With Matt Myers heading to the US, the battle for the last Brits is getting really tight. Ashley Tait will be pretty much able to name his price if he can start a bidding war between Sheffield and Nottingham especially if he can add teams in Europe to that.
What other quality Brits are left?

ASHIPP

Samps has retired, Nathan Rempel is happy in the EPL, some have re-signed for Phoenix and Bison in EPL - only Warren Tait being discussed on Steeltalk. He's one of the very few EIHL playing Brits not signed yet.

Chris

Administrator
There can't be many/any players left that would be an ideal replacement, only Tait and he's arguably a better player than Myers?

Chris.

Finny

Nathan Rempel wouldn't be classed as a brit anyway - despite the fact he plays for GB.

The only top brit around I can think of who hasn't signed is Ashley Tait. There are a couple of decent 3rd liners like Warren Tait - but none of them could really replace Myers.

And Coventry lost O'Connor to Edinburgh so they are a top brit down too. That could be 3 of the top EIHL teams fighting over one player.

It makes our british signings look even better, and a big relief that we have signed them up now. I've seen a couple of derogotary remarks over Lyle - but the more I see other teams netminder signings - the more delighted I am that we brought Lyle home. Nobody so far has brought in a player of the standard of Aubry, Lehman, Koenig etc that we have had in the league over the past couple of seasons.
Coventry's netminder has been hyped up but people who saw him last season said his form was slipping. The only other team who have signed a good netminder so far is Hull.

Wannabe2

And we signed the cream of the crop Mark Richardson, bring on the season i say, and if you aint got your tickets yet, then beat the rush, its gonna be one HELL OF A DEVILISH SEASON.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

ASHIPP

Finny said:
It makes our british signings look even better, and a big relief that we have signed them up now. I've seen a couple of derogotary remarks over Lyle - but the more I see other teams netminder signings - the more delighted I am that we brought Lyle home. Nobody so far has brought in a player of the standard of Aubry, Lehman, Koenig etc that we have had in the league over the past couple of seasons.
Coventry's netminder has been hyped up but people who saw him last season said his form was slipping. The only other team who have signed a good netminder so far is Hull.
And if Koenig, Verner and Reiter are back in the EIHL, although they are excellent goalies, sometimes their performance is dependent upon the standard of the d unit in front of them. The Devils still have a strong d unit to be proud of, and enhanced by the arrival of Ritchie and our long-awaited new player, Stevie between the pipes and an experienced backup in Brabs. :cool:

scottydoesntknow said:
D21 said:
Is Ross bowers signed yet? Was a work horse for the Bison last year.

G was looking at him
All I know is that Ross is signing a two-way contract!

... as for Weaver, has he not commited to the 3rd year of his 3 year deal yet?

So I see, Top guy Ross!!

DEVIL INSIDE said:
http://www.vipershockey.co.uk/team

I just havent heard anything about Weaver so just assumed he hasnt signed anywhere yet! And it's not like long term contracts mean anything!
True, I don't see the point in having long term contracts.
If either side can pull out whenever they want, why don't they just do 1 year at a time?

Finny said:
And Coventry lost O'Connor to Edinburgh so they are a top brit down too. That could be 3 of the top EIHL teams fighting over one player.
You are forgetting we signed Greg Owen, who is a far better player than O'Connor at the moment so don't worry yourself ... we still have the best set of Brits in the league :lol: :twisted:

Just a shame about some of the imports :roll:

Gazza272

J.B said:
Finny said:
You are forgetting we signed Greg Owen, who is a far better player than O'Connor at the moment so don't worry yourself ... we still have the best set of Brits in the league :lol: :twisted:

Just a shame about some of the imports :roll:

But you had Owen AND o'connor. So you've still lost a big brit you intending on having to start the season with.

Gazza272 said:
But you had Owen AND o'connor. So you've still lost a big brit you intending on having to start the season with.
True but compared to last season we are stronger. You can try and hype Richardson as much as you want but he isn't and probably never will be as good as Weaver, plus Cowley and Owen gives us the strongest British forward duo apart from probably Tait and Phillips now that Myers has left the Panthers. As I've said elsewhere, I think you have the overall stronger team based on your imports but I think we have the edge on Brits.

Gazza272

J.B said:
Gazza272 said:
True but compared to last season we are stronger. You can try and hype Richardson as much as you want but he isn't and probably never will be as good as Weaver, plus Cowley and Owen gives us the strongest British forward duo apart from probably Tait and Phillips now that Myers has left the Panthers. As I've said elsewhere, I think you have the overall stronger team based on your imports but I think we have the edge on Brits.

no Need to hype richardson, the Panthers fans were gutted to lose him and they dont dish out praise lightly.

also i dont know how you can commit to saying he wont be as good as weaver based on him having played only half a season on D. A half a season that was good enoguh to have your coach choose him there for GB duty!

He wont be as offesensive as Weaver but defensively i cant see why he wont be as effective

Finny

J.B said:
.. plus Cowley and Owen gives us the strongest British forward duo apart from probably Tait and Phillips now that Myers has left the Panthers.
When I first read that I thought you were going mad JB - but after a quick check I agree with it. Assuming Tait doesn't sign for Nottingham of course.

Though it says a lot about the movement of brits when those two are the second best british forward duo.

And it just goes to show again how massive an improvement we have in brits since this time last year.

Summer 08 and we had Stoney as our #5 defenceman. Phil Hill, Matt Towe and Lee Cowmeadow/Neil Francis were all going to be 3rd liners and not much more.

Now we have the #1 british netminder in Stevie Lyle.
One of the most promising british defenceman, who should also be useful offensively in Mark Richardson.
Phil Hill has had his breakout season and is now a genuine second line impact winger.
Matt Towe didn't get the chance to improve as much as we hoped due to being moved from line to line - but towards the end of the season he looked like he was getting back to his best.

We also have the emerging talent of Ben Davies, and several of the ENL guys stepping up.

It's looking so so much better than it was just 12 months ago.