Bob the Bison?

Rempel16

Thread starter #1
Hello everyone, please be a little patient, there are a lot of things happening behind the scenes to try and resolve the position of the team and as soon as there is any news available, the current owners/directors will update the fans immediately.

This has been taken from the Bison section of the elite forum (yes i can still read it Bob :lol: ) posted by mr. high and mighty himself.

You gotta love the sentiment from Bob, so heartfelt that he was quick enough to swoop and take their franchise player!!!
If he is, in coroboration with other elite owners, seeking to help the bison through this testing time then surely paying for Cruikshank to stay with the Bison would've been far more resourceful (and kind) for ticket sales, merchandise etc.

But then the Squeelers don't know what its like to have a franchise player (oh yes they do, they'e nicked the Bison's).

Bob Phillips, you are one sad little man!! you'll get whats coming to you!! :evil:

Gazza272

mmmm i feel we are getting a little to full on with all this bob bashing tbh.

End of the day say what you like about Bob Phillips and his short comings he has always had hockey in his heart and been one of the only owners on the EIHL board to pro actively try to push forward, he has always advocated the fact that he wanted Fife,Dundee and guilfordi n the league, and has always gone to try and make sure as many clubs as possible survive, i remember reading a post by Rick Strang saying he offered money to keep the Racers going.

He has his faults sure but i wotn knock him if he's one of the people trying to save the Bison.

Bob Phillips wont do anything unless theres something in it for himself!!!! Wanted to take hockey forward??? Not in cardiff!!!! He was quite happy having his little on going disputes with the council, planet ice etc!!!!! People forget so quickly!!!!!

steve

And where were the other owners last time the bison needed help?!?

The steelers have been no better than vultures taking chunks out of a rotting corpse this week (and panthers), and i guess that means bob as he manages the payroll. If he thinks people are going to buy the 'generous saviour' type routine he's trying to pull through the elite forum he's a moron.

Gazza272

Ih8Sheffield said:
Bob Phillips wont do anything unless theres something in it for himself!!!! Wanted to take hockey forward??? Not in cardiff!!!! He was quite happy having his little on going disputes with the council, planet ice etc!!!!! People forget so quickly!!!!!

Whoa now i dont forget that at all.

All i am saying is if he wants to put some money into the Bison to help save them then whats the problem? As for picking the corpse of the Bison how many people on here were asking for Greg Chambers earlier i nthe week?

And despite his disputes with the council and PI which undoudtedly held us back. The guy probably lost more money keeping Cardiff going than i'll make in a life time! Again im not saying he's perfect and that im dissapointed he's not still our owner, but i get the feeling on this forum at itmes people are criticisng just for the sake of it.

oooohhhhh I feel so sorry for the Bison faithful

Save the Bison's future
Save the Bison form Planet Ice
Save the Bison form BOB
Save the Bison from the Elite league politics
Save the Bison from the EIHL Politburo

'I can assure every fan in Basingstoke, the current owners are working 24/7 behind the scenes to resolve the teams current plight and they have no intention of hiding anything from the Bison fans. All they need right now is your trust and patience, because they care as much as you do, but there are matters that need their urgent attention just now that cannot be published at this moment.' EHA

I don't know about the other owners, but there are very few left who place any trust in he who shall not be named. As Rempel16 has ponted out, poaching the Bison's franchise player is no way to gain trust and is certainly not what is best for the Bison IMO. How would we feel if they came and took away Voth? OK, we'd save a bit on wages, but we'd also lose about 200 fans at the gate and therfore reduced ticket sales.

Let's not forget the dissatrous position our own club was in when he who shall not be named was in charge. Asking for trust, but not revealing the truth? Sound's familiar doesn't it? You have to earn trust and I'm sure for most Devils fans he'll never regain any trust. Hopefully the Bison fans can learn that lesson.

Why is the league not communicating to the fans via its website and relying on one owner's cryptic messages through a forum? Let's see some leadership from the league! It might restore what little faith UK hockey fans have left in it.

Chris

Administrator
Who says Cruickshank didn't go to the Steelers? There's an awful lot of rumours about bison currently do the rounds.

We don't know the half of it.

Chris.

Koop11

I don’t think we should knock the Steelers for offering Crunchank a contract if their were circumstances whereby he wasn’t getting paid at Bison. He has a family to feed at the end of the day. They may very well not be the only team taking players from Bison you know.

That aside, it is really disappointing that it has come to this for Basingstoke. Their season, even if it does make it through the rest of the Elite League season, is going to be less competitive now with key players leaving them. I horrible situation for the remaining players and of course the fans.

steve

If it is the case that the Bison cannot continue, and then players are snapped up by other teams fine, e.g. racers. What annoys me is the fact that one day bob is signing the clubs biggest asset, and the next he is claiming that there is some sort of rescue package/deal on the cards.

If the bison can be saved and/or a new owner found - the team could have been run as a going concern, now that the clubs assets are being stripped this will be almost impossible, and has created a scenario whereby the league is more than likely to loose a team, rather than having the bison limp through the rest of the season (surey better than no team).

Bob would have been quite happy keeping the cardiff devils in the gutter!!!! The man has such an ego he wouldnt give a shite about losing money as long as he's got the upper hand nothing else matters!!!! Bob you know that hit a nerve!!!!!!

at the risk of being hypocritical after my last post (and some previous ones written after a glass or two of ale) and having read through the whole Basingstoke thread over Big Bad Bobs forum, I'm a little optimistic about this post from Bob.

Yes!, Bobs motives and reasoning need to be questioned from time to time - oh all right then, all of the time

Bob may be a social pariah, especially here in Cardiff, but he does have some business acumen, and if he is helping to broker a deal to keep Basingstoke going until the end of the season, then I for one would have to cautiously accept the situation.

There is a distinct lack of coverage from this from any official source. Does that mean that the League have learned their lesson about playing politics with press releases. It was a pretty restrained post by EHA standards and may have given a glimpse into some behind the scenes negotiations.

I sincerely hope that they have taken note of and learned lessons from a certain Mr Burges' generous help at the beginning of the season, which was bordering on philanthropy.

I don't care if they are doing something to help Basingstoke out of fear of what Matt may do next to help and make them look even more stupid, or if they as a league realise that they do have a responsibility to keep ten teams competing for the rest of the season. Or, for that matter that they have just realised some collective responsibilities. But the league will suffer tremendously if Basingstoke fold.

I have been a critic of the league since the flawed get tough strategy was unleashed, and would dearly love the leagues hierarchy to become independent and openly transparent. However I would be very impressed if the league finally got together and prevented a team from going bust mid season. The League have the most to lose, financially, politically and from a public relations perspective.

as a league, all we have done so far this season is move from crisis to emergency to another crisis: players leaving, resigning, being sacked: get tough strategy & appeals committee debacle: playing politics in the press and now the possible loss of one of the teams.

why not save Basingstoke, it would cost each team less than the lost revenue from not playing them. That would then give the league six months to sort its act out for the beginning of the next season and develop a plan to strengthen and expand. Long term national sponsorship and expansion by two or three teams wouldn't go a miss!

good luck to all in whatever negotiations are taking place and hopefully things will be looking good for Basingstoke and their fans again.

Gazza272

steve said:
If it is the case that the Bison cannot continue, and then players are snapped up by other teams fine, e.g. racers. What annoys me is the fact that one day bob is signing the clubs biggest asset, and the next he is claiming that there is some sort of rescue package/deal on the cards.

If the bison can be saved and/or a new owner found - the team could have been run as a going concern, now that the clubs assets are being stripped this will be almost impossible, and has created a scenario whereby the league is more than likely to loose a team, rather than having the bison limp through the rest of the season (surey better than no team).
But it has already been pointed out Steve what if cruickshank was leaving anyway? with an import down any team would be stupid to turn him away.

As players there is only so much i can imagine you can take at a cash strapped club before you have to look out for your self and with a new family cruickshank has decided his time is now. Mark Richardson seems to have decided the same as well. Its heartbreaking for the Bison fans i imagine and personally i hope Hinks goes there so they have an extra body. But to play the card against the Steelers this time isnt appropriate imo as they or Bob arent the problem.

This time :lol:

Chris

Administrator
http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=257&p=4604#p4604

Read DaveW's post.

If what's said is true, I don't blame anyone for trying to sign anyone. The resulting mess this could cause for other teams is worth thinking about, players talk and I can't see them being glowing about the league overhere when the team they play for is being dragged through this.

If whatever Bob and any other owners are upto helps the situation, then so be it.

Chris.

Russky

My heart really goes out to the Bison and their fans! They dont deserve this, and then to add insult to injury youknowho wants to seem to be their knight in shining armour!

James

Administrator
In all fairness B*b made virtually the same post before Tomas came in. I don't think it means its' anything to do with B*b, just that he is aware there are plans afoot.

Why don t the real owners put some money in, now I may be wrong but as I understand it The Taylors operated the Bison under licence from PI or another of Mr Petrui businesses and I am assuming that Tomas is doing the same and I can t see Bob getting more involved with Mr Petruis than he has to.

davew

a couple of posts from THF.....

"Result: Basingstoke 7 Edinburgh 2

BISON: Hughes (Braff, Thompson) @ 6:08
BISON: Millar (Chambers, Hughes) PP @ 9:01
BISON: Chambers Unassisted @ 10:31
BISON: Stewart (Chambers) PP @ 22:48
BISON: Thompson (Read, Richardson) @ 24:03
CAPITALS: Nimmo (#21) @ 40:25
BISON: Chambers Unassisted @ 52:57
CAPITALS: Garside (Rajcak) @ 54:52
BISON: Stewart (Chambers) @ 55:18

Jacey Moore replaced Michel Robinson after the Bison's 5th goal at 24:03.
Fight: Cornish V Christiansen @ 20:00 - Win Cornish.

SOG: Bison 50 Capitals 34
PIMS: Bison 15 Capitals 21

MOM:
Bison - Awarded to entire team
Capitals - Mark Garside

Referee: Dean Smith"

and

"no sign of Thomas, lots of jokes from Bavy (the announcer) "No Swedish meatballs on the menu tonight".

Interesting that Bison went with 3 A's tonight and nobody wearing the C. Richardson, Cornish and Hughes wearing the A's."

I suspect this was a very emotional game, with no doubt many tears.....

I feel that we should support them tomorrow with at least a few BISON chants.....what do you all feel?