Blaze Vs Devils - League - 5th March 22

august04 2.0

I didn’t see the game but did Crandall ice on D for the whole game? Seems strange to disrupt our first forward line like that, and lo and behold we get shut out.

matbur

Anyone know how long McNulty and Carruth are out for?

Tonight feels like the final nail in coffin for the league, although as others rightly point out, it's been out of reach for a little while now.

The sason is over for me now until the play-offs come around. Unpopular opinion, but I don't place much value on the Challenge Cup whether we win it or not. Three competitions for the amount of teams who're actually competitive in the league doesn't sit with me.

moggy#9

Anyone know how long McNulty and Carruth are out for?

Tonight feels like the final nail in coffin for the league, although as others rightly point out, it's been out of reach for a little while now.

The sason is over for me now until the play-offs come around. Unpopular opinion, but I don't place much value on the Challenge Cup whether we win it or not. Three competitions for the amount of teams who're actually competitive in the league doesn't sit with me.
The challenge cup has least value in terms of reward as there is no euro place to go with it. Yet there are more games to it than the play offs. Bizarre. That said, winning it would however be another pennant and it would make sure that no one wins the grand slam.

As others have suggested, the 19 player rule has to go for next season.

Hedd Wyn John

The challenge cup has least value in terms of reward as there is no euro place to go with it. Yet there are more games to it than the play offs. Bizarre. That said, winning it would however be another pennant and it would make sure that no one wins the grand slam.

As others have suggested, the 19 player rule has to go for next season.
The challenge cup format needs rejigging. Way too many dead rubber games.

BostonBart22

Several teams are banged up with injuries at the moment. Limited roster size this season has crippled performances at the business end of the season.
Thought the signing deadline has passed now, or is there an allowance made for injury cover?
sure each club has scope for 7 injury cover situations trying to rack my brain how many devils got left, 3 or 4 maybe..

I wonder how much the club wish they'd have resigned Evan mosey, if we'd have had him so many of our problems were getting right now would be covered, I'm sure he'd have wanted to come back this season so assume steelers offered him way more money or the club were worried he'd get another long term injury, I don't think he's missed many games this season. We must have the most expensive coaching staff in the league this season with du pont relaxing behind the bench assisting skalde and franny, I know where I'd have rather seen the budget spent. I don't know if lammon will be fit to play again this season, I hope he is as he was starting to show some good form before his injury, if he's fit who will he replace, mcnulty and coughler have been brilliant pick ups , I wish they'd have been in from the start instead of the club showing faith in players who were never the right fit, boc especially. I've tried to work out in my head why we can't perform in the midlands, both panthers and blaze have our number, yet we've taken more points of the two teams above us in both series home and away. Maybe the players are a little soft and treated too well with travel ? Planes to all the Scottish games , when the Scots come to us it's usually coaches for ten hours, as an ex player Todd treats them very well, probably like how he'd want to be treated himself back in his day? I'd suggest any more lack lustre performances like last night put them on a couple of long bus rides, it might toughen them up mentally, maybe the players will then realise how good they've got it compared to most of the other teams in the league. I don't think we have the right to win any game but as fans expect compete, way too many times this season it looks like the players can't be arsed, especially in the midlands

BostonBart22

I wonder how much the club wish they'd have resigned Evan mosey, if we'd have had him so many of our problems were getting right now would be covered, I'm sure he'd have wanted to come back this season so assume steelers offered him way more money or the club were worried he'd get another long term injury, I don't think he's missed many games this season. We must have the most expensive coaching staff in the league this season with du pont relaxing behind the bench assisting skalde and franny, I know where I'd have rather seen the budget spent. I don't know if lammon will be fit to play again this season, I hope he is as he was starting to show some good form before his injury, if he's fit who will he replace, mcnulty and coughler have been brilliant pick ups , I wish they'd have been in from the start instead of the club showing faith in players who were never the right fit, boc especially. I've tried to work out in my head why we can't perform in the midlands, both panthers and blaze have our number, yet we've taken more points of the two teams above us in both series home and away. Maybe the players are a little soft and treated too well with travel ? Planes to all the Scottish games , when the Scots come to us it's usually coaches for ten hours, as an ex player Todd treats them very well, probably like how he'd want to be treated himself back in his day? I'd suggest any more lack lustre performances like last night put them on a couple of long bus rides, it might toughen them up mentally, maybe the players will then realise how good they've got it compared to most of the other teams in the league. I don't think we have the right to win any game but as fans expect compete, way too many times this season it looks like the players can't be arsed, especially in the midlands
I found it puzzling why the devils didn't get mosey back, after all we sorted his injury out at the devils expense, and yes he certainly would've been on D last night.

Pembo

CJ on his day is a bit of a cheat code for the blaze. I think Blaze and Panthers know best way to play devils is not to get stretched too much offensively, we’ve had good success against Steelers and Belfast hitting breakaways when they’ve committed to aggressively attacking us. Blaze & Nottingham have enough quality and big men at the back they can stifle our offence a bit more successfully and good enough quick offensive players to strike successfully on the counter.

Mazzoak

Can we now finally put any talk of the League, that was never an option, out to pasture now and get back to realistic expectations. For the value for money brigade I’d save further money for the Challenge Cup & Playoff weekend.........we‘re likely concerned about fitness & injuries.

Rempel16

Can we now finally put any talk of the League, that was never an option, out to pasture now and get back to realistic expectations. For the value for money brigade I’d save further money for the Challenge Cup & Playoff weekend.........we‘re likely concerned about fitness & injuries.
I am beyond fed up about you banging on about the league not ever being an option this season!

We’ve lost the league based on our performances against the lesser teams. Our record against the top two is:

Giants - won 4, lost 2
Steelers- won 3, lost 1, ot lost 1 with 1 to play.

Based on that w should absolutely have been competing for the league, so once and for all, please cut your know it all bullshit. It’s draining.

moggy#9

I'd definitely have had mosey back, but I wonder whether there was a personality clash or just a case of skalde wanting his own guys that stopped that.

It's been noteworthy that whenever a current devils player is on Wally's podcast, they comment on the fact that our league format means every game is important. Whilst injury issues undoubtedly play their part, I wonder if there's a cultural aspects here too. I just hope that they're getting themselves for and prepared for the challenge cup final and the play offs, where they start with a fresh sheet of paper, so to speak.

moggy#9

I am beyond fed up about you banging on about the league not ever being an option this season!

We’ve lost the league based on our performances against the lesser teams. Our record against the top two is:

Giants - won 4, lost 2
Steelers- won 3, lost 1, ot lost 1 with 1 to play.

Based on that w should absolutely have been competing for the league, so once and for all, please cut your know it all bullshit. It’s draining.
To win the league a team needs a points percentage of over 80%. I don't think we've ever been particularly close to that. Realistically the league was gone by Xmas based on the pressure the team had put on itself.

Rempel16

To win the league a team needs a points percentage of over 80%. I don't think we've ever been particularly close to that. Realistically the league was gone by Xmas based on the pressure the team had put on itself.
I agree, but I’m fed up of being told it was never the expectation this year. Steve King said differently and a winning organisation adapts, even with a new coach (see Ben Simons season at Sheffield).

Matt Register (a winner across his career) certainly didn’t sign with us to aim for 3rd