Blaze v Giants Tonight

Jones72

Chris Carpenter said:
Classy. If this incident had happened against the Devils and it was Luke Piggot lying on the floor covering up while getting repeatedly smashed in the face...
Hmmm...I heard that pretty much describes Olson against Ben Davies at the Skydome last time (one of the incidents that sparked all the bad feeling).

Stay classy, Blaze!

Chris Carpenter said:
Oldgoalie80 said:
I'm feeling entertained sat here reading that a Blaze player was getting thumped whilst lying on the ice. Well played Belfast :twisted:
Classy. If this incident had happened against the Devils and it was Luke Piggot lying on the floor covering up while getting repeatedly smashed in the face by Stewart this forum would be in meltdown and The Pogues, Guiness and St Patrick's day would all be being boycotted.

It really wasn't pleasant to watch as the lad took a good few savage punches on the ground, from a much bigger guy with no protection from officials as they were dealing with another incident at the other end. No complaints from me regarding the calls against the Blaze though. All spot on. Stewart should have been chucked for Excessive Roughness but the stripeys wouldn't have seen too much of it from where they were.
Call it what you like. I'm not sure where you were last week but here's a recap:

1) Chris Blight got a broken nose
2) Max got slashed across the back of his legs, then butt-ended in the face
3) Ben Davies took a ton of grief and roughed up as per usual:
4) And then there's all the shenanigans at the end of game Sunday.
5) I'm sure i've missed something else out that's equally 'Classy' :roll:

They got away with that lot scott free, so if they've tried it on again tonight against Belfast, which it appears they have, and some of them got thumped in the process, lying on the ice or not, then I'll not lose any sleep over it. You reap what you sow.

As for Hirsch wading in and hitting the Belfast guy with his blocker (which you can see is the first thing he does in the video ) --- :DWD

drainage

Oldgoalie80 said:
Chris Carpenter said:
Oldgoalie80 said:
I'm feeling entertained sat here reading that a Blaze player was getting thumped whilst lying on the ice. Well played Belfast :twisted:
Classy. If this incident had happened against the Devils and it was Luke Piggot lying on the floor covering up while getting repeatedly smashed in the face by Stewart this forum would be in meltdown and The Pogues, Guiness and St Patrick's day would all be being boycotted.

It really wasn't pleasant to watch as the lad took a good few savage punches on the ground, from a much bigger guy with no protection from officials as they were dealing with another incident at the other end. No complaints from me regarding the calls against the Blaze though. All spot on. Stewart should have been chucked for Excessive Roughness but the stripeys wouldn't have seen too much of it from where they were.
Call it what you like. I'm not sure where you were last week but here's a recap:

1) Chris Blight got a broken nose
2) Max got slashed across the back of his legs, then butt-ended in the face
3) Ben Davies took a ton of grief and roughed up as per usual:
4) And then there's all the shenanigans at the end of game Sunday.
5) I'm sure i've missed something else out that's equally 'Classy' :roll:

They got away with that lot scott free, so if they've tried it on again tonight against Belfast, which it appears they have, and some of them got thumped in the process, lying on the ice or not, then I'll not lose any sleep over it. You reap what you sow.
Not sure if Mr/Ms Carpenter is a Blaze fan or not but seriously ? Hirsch knows the rules and from the footage he waded in blockers on to a guy with back to him ..... Wrong on too many levels

And after last weeks debacle this is the last place to expect a "oh bless" comment for any Blaze player ....don't want anyone hurt but sure as hell won't lose sleep over the binning of any of them

wildthing74

I'm sure a letter of apology is being drafted by the Elite league as we speak and Carson will sit out for 5 games and Max will get his ban extended by 3 games.
In all fairness I agreed with what Skippy when I saw the recruitment by Thommo in the summer but enough is enough now.I'm sure the locals are loving it but players are going to start getting hurt soon.
I'm all for tough play but these guys,Olson in particular are just dirty,pure and simple and fans pay to watch hockey not thugs.

The blaze are happy to dish it out, but don't like it when it's thrown back at them, the players loose their heads and the fans become hysterical
. The Giants went out to wind up the blaze, it worked a treat and the players got booted. 3/4 in the dome is a good return.

cantona39 said:
Coventry are a disgrace. Perhaps the Muppets at the Elite League should now come to their senses and administer further punishment to these idiots.
in fairness to blaze they done what you didn't, all the trouble started with a dreadfull slash by stewart on leeb, next shift olson came out and started to rough him up and went after sandrock, meanwhile stewart hammered a young british lad and seemed to carry on when he was on the ice, off the bench comes egener and destroyed him. so no problem for me defend your team and deal with it on the ice.

beeks3 said:
cantona39 said:
Coventry are a disgrace. Perhaps the Muppets at the Elite League should now come to their senses and administer further punishment to these idiots.
in fairness to blaze they done what you didn't, all the trouble started with a dreadfull slash by stewart on leeb, next shift olson came out and started to rough him up and went after sandrock, meanwhile stewart hammered a young british lad and seemed to carry on when he was on the ice, off the bench comes egener and destroyed him. so no problem for me defend your team and deal with it on the ice.
What difference does his nationality make? Or are Brits non-contact players?, Destroyed him, not in this life :DWD

Agree that nationality doesn't matter but once he had floored him, there was no need to continue punching. It was obvious that Chalmers was done and even though there was no officials around, I've seen plenty of players of just skate away.

And did you not see poor Gregory's nose?

wildthing74

So many hypocrite Blaze fans on Twitter.Last week they condemn our players for sticking up for themselves and each other and now they do it and they are heros and all this 'bleedblue' rubbish.
A week can be a long time time in sport.

J.B said:
Agree that nationality doesn't matter but once he had floored him, there was no need to continue punching.
Very much the same as Max last week then. Face down on the ice and Olson punching the back of his head. Saw the "highlights" on Simmsey's Corner last week and Olson skates to the Bin shaking and checking his hand after this so obviously gave the player's head a pounding whilst on the ice.

JB, what goes around comes around and Belfast did a number on your rough house tactics last night. Expect more of the same from a beefed up Devils outfit in 3 weeks.

A#45

jester said:
The blaze are happy to dish it out, but don't like it when it's thrown back at them, the players loose their heads and the fans become hysterical
. The Giants went out to wind up the blaze, it worked a treat and the players got booted. 3/4 in the dome is a good return.
Isnt that the mark of a tough team though Jester? I tend to agree with you that they dont like it back at them, but you would be surprised if they did. As for the fans being hysterical? Really? I, and many others are saying the Blaze penalties were deserved but were in response to Giants provocation. Blaze beat Giants in a 'clean' game on the Saturday so Christiansen went out with a different game plan on Sunday - Fair play to him. I've no complaints. Certainly makes the next Giants Blaze game interesting. See the pattern emerging anyone? Blaze v any team = interesting.

Tyke Devil

This made me laugh a little bit from the F&I Forum

"Confused so clarification needed please :
Leeb-Abuse of official-Game..He did, but when a two handed slash to the back of his legs goes unpunished ,and potentially could finish a players career,what do you expect.."

The above is not intended as a direct reply to you A#45. I tend to agree with a few guys on here and yourself that you certainly have got yourselves an interesting on-ice product that is putting the bums on the Dome seats.

More that I just find irony (Sp?) quite amusing at times. I suppose it is better to have a go at the ref for missing the obvious (slash or butt end) rather than having a go at the perpetrator and taking matters into your own hands. At least in terms of any follow up action by the Elite League.

I think you are correct though. Give it another three or four weeks and it may well be Blaze v Anybody = Interesting. :lol:

However, I think the overwhelming pattern as I see it is the shocking standard of officiating. They are so quick to call the 50:50 infringements or make some up from time to time based on what they see afterwards. Just they can't seem to catch the blatantly obvious and often dangerous infringements. Hence players take matters into their own hands. They feel they have no choice.

Until this changes, there are always going to be these threads on the various forums.

It is good to see that certain members on here know exactly what happened without being there. Impressive!
Hirsch, had to go in to protect Chalmers, the officials weren't interested, and Stewart was continuing to punch the kid while he was on the ice! Yes Hirsch's penalty is correct as he was third man in, but he had to be, otherwise the kid could of got seriously hurt! Egeners penalty was correct (Well it was called for fighting, but he left the bench so it is correct) as were Olsons and Leebs. Olson should of known it was his 3rd fight(was his 2nd, but carson classed a dropped glove as a fighting major!) and Leeb should know he can't react the way he did, even if the 2 handed whack to his legs could of ended his season.

The fact is when the ref doesn't control the game, quite often in this league, the players take it into their own hands, not just coventry players, they all do it!
The penaltys were correct, apart from Stewart should of got chucked, but this wouldn't of happened if Carson wasn't running the Carson show and actually reffing the game.