Blaze v Devils - 31/12 - 5:30pm - League - Chat/Updates

and the overtime jinx continues.....

At least we got a point, one point closer to the Blaze on the table. Let's just hope next weekend Panthers games make up for these last two.

It's The Stub's fault we lost - he tweeted that the Blaze commentators were jinxing the Devils when we were 2-1 up and no sooner do they mention it, and The Blaze equalise.

Very disappointed with how lightly penalised the Blaze were when Phil Hill was on the receiving end of 4 or 5 gloved punches from the blaze bench - oh but then look at who we were playing.

Hopefully 2012 will bring better results.

Ddymuno I chi I gyd blwyddyn hapus lawn newydd.

kettdevil1

Can't believe that we didn't come away with the W.... really frustrating goals to concede and frankly the Blaze had run out of ideas long before the equaliser.

A few general points:
1) We still don't know how to play Frantisek Bakrlik. He bullied us all night as he did when he played for Hull
2) For me Scott Dobben had the best game I have seen him play tonight.
3) The away support was great (probably 150 strong) but we were rather quiet.... lets make some more noise next weekend against Nottingham!
4) Why is that every time we play at the Skydome a Blaze player always tries to drag a Devil onto the home team bench....
5) Robert Farmer is annoying
6) We are a frustrating team to play against away from home.
7) It was great to see Sam throwing some hits tonight
8) You can't give Shea Guthrie the space we did tonight, he won't always have an off night
9) OT has become psychological for us
10) We missed Brad tonight

Was a great game to watch tonight during the 1st and 3rd periods, Dobbin and Pierce where superb. We deserved the win I think. We did miss Voth in the hitting department tonight but Frank certainly pulled his weight. The Phil Hill/bench thing was terrible, his shirt was grabbed, he was punched and hit with sticks by the sitting Coventry players, not nice stuff.

I though the crowd where excellent tonight! Loud and proud, I've only been to 4 away games but easily the loudest imo.

Thoroughly enjoyed the away trip yesterday! A scrappy old game to watch and not the result we wanted...but to be sitting with the loudest and most passionate fans in the league was the best way to spend New Years Eve! Loved the impromptu Welsh National Anthem after God Save the Queen, but missed the opportunity to do 'shoes off' and watch all the Blaze fans sitting there like 'WTF'?! :p

May 2012 bring some better results to go along with our team's performances.

Happy new year to all.

Lets go Devils!

ASHIPP

Results disappointing for the Team and the fans, but the final scorelines against the Blaze and the Giants don't (sound like they) reflect the massive effort and gritty determination that was displayed by the Devils. Relying on the commentary and match reports, Devils seemed to have the better play in large parts of both games, and were leading for quite a while in both.

However, reading those reports and looking at the stats, it's clear that similar instances occured in both games which G and the Team will be very disappointed with:

1. In both games, the Devils conceded a game-changing goal in the final minutes of regulation time and momentum swung to the opposition. (in 53rd min against Giants, in 56th min against Blaze).
2. Outshot the opposition in many periods but couldn't convert. :evil: Devils' powerplay stuttering in Belfast but Giants scored 2 pp goals on less chances.
3. Absence of aggression in parts of both games - was this because some players are carrying injuries? Or was it because they were shortbenched?
4. Overtime - Devils' 6th or 7th overtime loss? This seems to be a massive pyschological barrier that they have to overcome. Easy to say this, but a win in o/t for them is all it will take to get past it. :?

With the Vother's injury a worry as well, let's hope the Guys can rest and re-group after the New Year. Here's hoping for better news and some crucial luck in 2012. The Devils deserve this.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #28
Results disappointing for the Team and the fans, but the final scorelines against the Blaze and the Giants don't (sound like they) reflect the massive effort and gritty determination that was displayed by the Devils. Relying on the commentary and match reports, Devils seemed to have the better play in large parts of both games, and were leading for quite a while in both.
A massive effort and gritty determination? The giants barely had to move out of first gear to beat us, in Coventry you could heard Adams shouting at the players to skate faster as we gave up possession time and time again.
3. Absence of aggression in parts of both games - was this because some players are carrying injuries? Or was it because they were shortbenched?
In three games. We didn't throw many hits in Edinburgh either.

we haven't really been overly physical all season, not just the last 3 games but weve still had some great results with the odds very much against us. (short benched, financial issues)

Belfast didn't have to get passed first gear to beat us, yet they did 3-2, with 2 of those goals contraversial. How close were we to winning in Belfast, again! Plus we were short benched for what, 2 periods?
We have lost twice by one goal to perhaps the 11/12 league champs
and to a side who are having a similar season to us but remain capable of beating anyone.

I knew the positivity wouldnt last long.

ASHIPP

Chris said:
A massive effort and gritty determination? The giants barely had to move out of first gear to beat us, in Coventry you could heard Adams shouting at the players to skate faster as we gave up possession time and time again.
In three games. We didn't throw many hits in Edinburgh either.
My bold - sorry,Chris, didn't realise this. Did I miss reading this somewhere?

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #31
No idea, I sent it through to MNL but as I was covering everything it might have been something OJ didn't have a chance to use.
I knew the positivity wouldnt last long.
Having just traveled 1000 miles to watch the three games, I can't say i'm overjoyed that we bothered to see these games, the Edinburgh game was only slightly better because we decided to play in the last 20seconds of the 4min powerplay and eventually ran out winners. The Belfast and Coventry games were even worse.

I don't understand how we can play so well one game, specifically the Sheffield game and do everything that people have been commenting on here over the course of this season, then go into away games and go back into the boring, individual, nonphysical team that people were again commenting on over the course of this season.

helloimclaire said:

At least we got a point, one point closer to the Blaze on the table.
Aren't you one point further away from the Blaze now :?

Two pretty poor teams which cancelled each other out in the main. Both teams are a long way from their heyday teams and will struggle against the big 3 arena teams over the course of the season.

J.B said:
helloimclaire said:

Two pretty poor teams which cancelled each other out in the main. Both teams are a long way from their heyday teams and will struggle against the big 3 arena teams over the course of the season.
I don't know now, we're 5 points behind sonim slightly confused. Probably mis-reading it but ohh well.
One point is better than none.

I lost count of the number of times we failed to clear the zone properly. There were also a number of times we played the puck back into our zone, at least twice playing Blaze players back onside. There was a lack of cohesion between the players, but the same can be said for Coventry.

Wannabe2

J.B said:
helloimclaire said:

We are 5 points behind you with a game in hand now mate, and we have beaten the top 3 teams this season, we will finish 4th and you guys either 5th or 6th

ginguskahn said:
Some vids for those who couldn't make it. No goals so, I kept missing them by seconds!

Hitting the crossbar: http://youtu.be/4kG9Suqnub8
First Powerplay (I think, just before the first goal): http://youtu.be/pBJ16XLSmZI
Some Devils hits: http://youtu.be/s2kMuK1-cTc
Sam Smith hitting hard and almost a goal: http://youtu.be/FMUIrDdNXIg
The National Anthem, sorry for the rubbish sound!: http://youtu.be/3vPvCzx9rVM

Hope you enjoy
Thanks for these. Shame we had to compete with the music and DJ, but I thought we did a great job with the anthem!!

My camera does not do it justice, it was a rousing performance and definatly heard of the godawful DJ. can never understand a word he says :p everyone should be very proud!