Blaze continue their improvements on last seasons team by..

Finny

Thread starter #1
....re-signing another of their players from last year.

Hmmmm. Don't quite understand this. Can you explain J.B. ?

You said that the Blaze were clearly not good enough and so would be releasing a lot of last seasons players. Whilst the Devils were keeping their players who also won nothing.

Yet it was then pointed out that both teams had re-signed a similar amount. You claimed it was different because we were re-signing imports whilst you were re-signing imports.

Well now Matt Soda Stream has re-signed too. And he is another import. And not a very good one at that.

I'm sure all at the inferno will be looking forward to your explanation below:

You mean a maximum of 4 imports, maybe 3 and perhaps even 2. You are right Finny, that is almost the whole same team coming back :roll:

FWIW, I think getting Matty back is one of the most important re-signings of the season.

He isn't flashy, he sometimes gets burned for pace and he doesn't score any points. However, he allows us to have Jon Weaver, who is pretty much a unique talent in this league.

We have a British defenceman who is better than all import D's in this league and an import defenceman who is better than most British defencemen in this league. Perhaps not the usual combination but that will do for me ;)

Finny

Thread starter #4
J.B said:
We have a British defenceman who is better than all import D's in this league
*snigger*

Weaver is good going forward - but he defensive abilities are a liability at times.
Teplitsky or Weaver - Tyson for me every day of the week. And there are several other defenceman who I would pick ahead of him too.

ASHIPP

Finny - don't waste your time on this idiot. The REAL explanation from J.B. will be required at the end of next season as he will find it hard trying to justify the Blaze signings when the team fail to win anything! :lol: Anyway, we all know he's a closet Devils' fan .....and that's a far happier place to be! :cool:

Finny said:
Teplitsky or Weaver - Tyson for me every day of the week. And there are several other defenceman who I would pick ahead of him too.
As Arsene Wenger said, everyone has the prettiest wife at home ;)

Teplitsky is a better all round player and at a higher level, he would probably be the guy you want. However, at EIHL you need impact players. Weaver is that. I've lost count of the number of times he has pulled a rabbit out of the hat and won us a game. Same as Calder. There are better all-round players in the league but if you have the ability to score 50 goals a season, you are invaluable in this league.

Devils have some decent all-round players but no-one (apart from Voth) with that special something. There is a lot of pressure to make sure the last 3 signings have it or else I struggle to see where the game winners are.

Yeah you say how Weaver on countless occasions has "pulled the rabbit out of the hat" etc.
But as his defensive play isn't the best, it could be his fault when the other teams score, so in effect he is just making up for his errors when scoring and thus not providing you with game winners, just more what it would have been anyway, if there was a good all round defenceman in his place.

To be honest though I would be exstatic if we had signed Weaver.
He is a quality British player who is versatille and can play as a forward or D.
I would like him to play a forward role though if we ever signed him, he could be a similar player to Elich, by showing great defensive capabilities while racking up the points.

However, I'm sure he would not come cheap ;)

Finny

Thread starter #8
scottydoesntknow said:
However, I'm sure he would not come cheap ;)
Especially after that bidding war 2 seasons ago. And I'm sure the 3 year deal meant that his wages would rise with the anticipated inflation too. Whoops.
But then they have managed to keep Sodastream who works locally and is probably on very very little - so the two even themselves out. I think we saw last season though it stops Coventry signing and out and out #1 defenceman which they have lacked since Martin left.

J.B - I would agree that Coventry have signed more impact players than the Devils. But only so far.
Blaze's first line is sorted. And as you said - Weaver will be your #1 defenceman - and main scoring threat on D.
Devils on the other hand have sorted out their 2nd line - with Prpich being the grinder on the 1st line. We still have our top 2 scorers on the first line to sign. Plus our #1 defenceman. We still have our 3 biggest signings to be made yet.

I don't quite know what to say :?

I can't find a single thing to disagree with in Finny's post and yet I feel like I ought to say something controversial just to just maintain my reputation :roll: