Big up for the Devils matchnight

TheStub

Thread starter #1
It's been a week since the playoff weekend, and I still keep thinking back to how awful the match entertainment was. It really makes you appreciate what a good job Sully and Hubbs do.

So, well done and keep up the good work (with a little more rock and metal :p ).

I'll resume business as usual in the new season ;)

Amen to that, brother. I was thinking about this just this morning.

I've only really been to two other rinks, Edinburgh last season and Coventry. Compared to the crushing aura of death and despair in Scotland at that time and the dodgy 2nd rate blue light disco presentation in Coventry, our lads are geniuses (that is an accepted plural form of 'genius', before anyone says 'genii').

Sully plays a lot of classic rock which no-one could object to, plus some pop to keep the kids happy. A nice happy medium, plus the videos are great.

That said, I know a lot more about music than hockey, so I could offer some nice additions which I'd like to hear at the tent...

What makes me laugh at the NIC is that they have two people on the mic, the DJ trying to get the crowd going and then an official on the side announcing penalties and goals. Guessing the DJ doesn't have a clue about hockey? Either that or it's a must with the EIHL as it was the playoffs? I swear it was the same structure when I went to the NIC in January though.
Maybe it's just me being picky but I do like to say thanks to the guys at the BBT, much more bareable.

Don't even get me started on the guy up in Coventry during the quarterfinals....

TheStub

Thread starter #4
And what is them cutting between song after song in short breaks? Are they trying to avoid paying royalties by never playing more than 5 seconds of any song?

Also, if you are going to loop to hook, edit it properly. Better still, just play the song.

Amen to this! The guys do an amazing job, I especially thought the red out the rink night was brilliantly done. The little extra's like the bags of goodies and the clappers and the videos that were put together were great. That night was probably one of the highlights of the season for me.

kettdevil1

Totally agree, for me they are best in the league.

What really annoyed me at the NIC was the way it seemed to be compulsory to play music at all breaks in play, this was irrespective of whether there was any chanting by fans. The stats man (Stef I think it was) is very clear and very professional but the DJ had no feel for the crowd. What Sully/Hubbs do so well is read the crowd and hence they know when to shut up and when to turn the music off, at Nottingham that feel was missing.

What really annoys me at the NIC is their condescending announcer and their love of chavvy dance music :blink: but that's another story.

I love watching the videos that Sully and Hubbs put together - there is clearly a lot of effort and thought put into it. The Devils have made a very good situation (one of, if not the only, real Match Night Experience of the EIHL) out of very poor one (shocking sight lines from the PI facility).

I wonder whether the TVs will be put back up in the new rink for a similar experience, especially as we appear to not be getting a TRON to show videos on?

Great to see the work by Sully & Hubbs being appreciated on here :)
I may be slightly biased, but I think it's the best match night in the league. Hands down.

Nottingham even stole our intro music. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery :lol:

I don't know what the plans are going to be for the new rink yet. It's something I'm going to have a meeting with the club about in the off season. Hopefully there'll be some way of using video, both for the replays we have and the excellent stuff Paull Sullivan puts together.

If there's going to be video in the new arena then we have some fantastic ideas for new ways of using it :)

kettdevil1

....and whilst there is a strangely positive thread up.... the highlights available via Twitter are an excellent addition - full credit to all involved! :D

Gazza272

helloimclaire said:
What makes me laugh at the NIC is that they have two people on the mic, the DJ trying to get the crowd going and then an official on the side announcing penalties and goals. Guessing the DJ doesn't have a clue about hockey? Either that or it's a must with the EIHL as it was the playoffs? I swear it was the same structure when I went to the NIC in January though.
Maybe it's just me being picky but I do like to say thanks to the guys at the BBT, much more bareable.

Don't even get me started on the guy up in Coventry during the quarterfinals....

The Panthers have two guys. The 'entertainment' guy and the straight announcer who last time i went was a guy called Stef, he is a really top bloke who has kept stats for the Panthers for years.

I really the like the two way announce thing they do, and I think i read somewhere its what should be done according to the IIHF rule book (although I dont expect nor want every club to abide by this rule)

So the DJ will have a clue about hockey, its just a unique panthers thing they like to do. And the playoffs have adopted it.

kettdevil1 said:
....and whilst there is a strangely positive thread up.... the highlights available via Twitter are an excellent addition - full credit to all involved! :D
Thank you! Hubbs works hard to make sure there's a selection each period. Even if it's not an exciting one :geek:

We've had great feedback about the Twitter highlights, so I'm hoping they'll be back bigger and better next season.

Excellent thread. The Devils match night is by far the best I've seen. Great work done by Paul and associates. Keeping things fresh by trying new stuff too. Twitter highlights are genius too.

I quite like the idea of the 2 announcers. Not that I've got a problem with the Devils set up, but having 'serious voice' and 'party voice' makes sense. Helps let all those program filler-inners know when to pick up their pencils.