Best way to watch NHL

Thread starter #1
Hi guys.

So, I really want to find a way to be able to watch the NHL matches, in order to get my hockey fix in between Devils games. I'm more than willing to pay for a decent service, but as I see it I have two main options;

Add ESPN to my Sky HD service. Although Sky are notoriously expensive and seem very reluctant to put basic figures and prices on their site, I'm not sure what the per month cost of this would be. Anybody know the exact cost, and as far as I can tell from looking at the schedules, they only seem to show one match on average a night.

The other option that occurs is to subscribe to the NHL package on ESPN360.com. This works out at £12.99 per month or £89.99 for the entire regular season. This gives live or on demand streaming video of every regular season game, I assume there'd be a playoff pack for an extra charge, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Has anyone used this service? What's the quality and framerate like?

Any other options gladly considered. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Well can't help you with the ones you've mentioned as i don't use them, I just use atdhe.net. I think someone else posted a link to a different website too saying it was better than atdhe.net but I've never needed to use it as I watch all the Caps games on atdhe and the stream is always fine. In fact I watched the hockey on ESPN freeview last weekend in HD and the quality on some of the streams I get have been much better.

http://www.atdhe.net/index.html

steve

for me i prefer getting ESPN, so 12 quid on Sky.

I'm not a huge fan of watching games on my laptop, i'd always rather watch it broadcast quality on tv. If you don't mind watching on-line, then save yourself a fortune and use some of the sites mentioned on here.

A

Anonymous

Of course, the only thing with ESPN is he games can go on til 3-3:30AM which is a real bummer !!

A

Anonymous

Merthyr Devil said:
Well can't help you with the ones you've mentioned as i don't use them, I just use atdhe.net. I think someone else posted a link to a different website too saying it was better than atdhe.net but I've never needed to use it as I watch all the Caps games on atdhe and the stream is always fine. In fact I watched the hockey on ESPN freeview last weekend in HD and the quality on some of the streams I get have been much better.

Just watching the TML Vs NJD on the mentioned site, picture is pretty spot on to be fair but the screen keeps freezing for a few seconds like every 10-15 seconds, bloody annoying it is to! Do you get the same or is it me?

A

Anonymous

That said im now watching 2nd period and the coverage is top notch, Zubrus giving the NJD a 3 to 1 lead !! Game on!! Thanks for the link Merthyr !! :D

TheDevilTorn said:
Merthyr Devil said:

Just watching the TML Vs NJD on the mentioned site, picture is pretty spot on to be fair but the screen keeps freezing for a few seconds like every 10-15 seconds, bloody annoying it is to! Do you get the same or is it me?
atdhe dose have problems if you have a low speed conection, i use it to watch games and with some there are multiple links for 1 game, i skip thro them and look for the best quality, some of the games i have watched on there is like watching it on tv, quality is top notch, also there is http://www.myp2p.eu/index.php?part=home that cover NHL games with good quality streaming

I've got ESPN (extra tenner on Virgin) and although the live games tend to be on at fairly anti-social times there are always repeated once or twice in the following 24 hours on ESPN America so I get 2 matches an evening Mon, Wed and Friday then usually action all through the weekend. plus 10pm every night you get an hour of 'Match of the Day' NHL highlights.

Move quickly tho as the Olympic break starts in a week or so which means a few NHL-less weeks. :cry:

Diafol

I have ESPN for the HD coverage, hockey in HD is absolutely stunning.
However, I also have a subscription to ESPN360, as it means I can watch all my team's games without having to stay up till 3am during the week.
As a previous poster mentioned, I just hook up my laptop to my TV, job done !

A

Anonymous

You cant be watching them live then as the games usually start at midnight our time, sometimes later. Watching Devils Vs Rangers now, FREE, great picture, great sound, game on !! :twisted:

TheDevilTorn said:
Watching Devils Vs Rangers now, FREE, great picture, great sound, game on !! :twisted:
I'm watching that too.

I've got no problem with the games starting late either as I consider my bed time about 3ish! :D
And the games that start at midnight finish around half 2 to 3, which is perfect for me. I can understand other people not wanting to stay up and watch the games live though.

Merthyr Devil said:
TheDevilTorn said:
Watching Devils Vs Rangers now, FREE, great picture, great sound, game on !! :twisted:
I'm watching that too.

I've got no problem with the games starting late either as I consider my bed time about 3ish! :D
And the games that start at midnight finish around half 2 to 3, which is perfect for me. I can understand other people not wanting to stay up and watch the games live though.

im getting up for work then :lol: so its good for me, get my hockey fix while getting ready for work :twisted:

A

Anonymous

Merthyr Devil said:
TheDevilTorn said:
I'm watching that too.

Think the Caps play today, its on quite early too, about 4 or 5 the safty? Yeah bout 5 Vs the Penguins ;)

drummer-ricky said:
im getting up for work then :lol: so its good for me, get my hockey fix while getting ready for work :twisted:
:eek: What? haha so glad I'm a student!

TheDevilTorn said:
Think the Caps play today, its on quite early too, about 4 or 5 the safty? Yeah bout 5 Vs the Penguins ;)
Yeh starts at 5 which is the time I leave for the hockey today, gutted! I'll probably spend most of todays Devils game checking the NHL site on my phone for the score. :D I was hoping the bad snow might mean it was cancelled.