Best or Worst Supporters?

TheStub

Such is the joy of the anonymity of an internet forum.

Everyone should be free to state and defend their opinion on here. I would hope that players wouldn't take any comments here to heart, and that posters feel free to make their point.

At least we don't publish post counts, I've seen some forums which go mad on the "and me" culture, just so users can breach the 1000 post mark ;)

DevilDom

TheStub said:
Such is the joy of the anonymity of an internet forum.

Everyone should be free to state and defend their opinion on here. I would hope that players wouldn't take any comments here to heart, and that posters feel free to make their point.

At least we don't publish post counts, I've seen some forums which go mad on the "and me" culture, just so users can breach the 1000 post mark ;)
My comment was in no way a critiscism of the forum, just stating how forums in general can work in a bad way. ;) I think i've upset a few people on here in the past and don't want to make anymore enemies! Besides i'm not sure i'm that anonomious anymore!

TheStub

Mine wasn't a comment defending (or detracting from) this forum, but a comment on the nature of forums.

One comment - 20 pages of slagging off of the person who made it. Check out local music forums - they are the worst. God forbid that you have an opinion contrary to anyone else, and it degenerates quickly.

At least hockey is quantifiable. You win or you loose - so the options major dissent of opinion is limited ;)

Now, back to the previous carnage/discussion ;)

Finny

DevilDom said:
Very right. I think there are number of people who have experienced how the forum can work in a bad way when they have an opinion that is not in line with the majority or in line with those who shout (or post) the loudest on this site. We all know who those people are - they post and effectively bully the dissenting voice or voices into submission with 5 or 6 people immediately feeling the need to quote them and agree strongly with everything they say.
I shall have to keep any eye out for those people and tell them off....

DevilDom said:
I don't agree with targetting individual players after a great effort by the team over the weekend however, I also respect that some people feel strongly the other way and want to express there opinion about it. It would be a very dull forum if we all agreed all the time. People just have a different approach to expressing their passion for the Devils and I don't think we should stifle that.
I think we have had some very emotional and passionate posts on this forum in the past couple of days due to the way we lost the final on Sunday. Losing is never nice, but to lose the Playoff Final (the final game of the season) in such a manner was a massive drain emotionally. Some people respond to this in different ways. Some decided to analyse the mistakes in the game. Some decided to criticise the refereeing. Some decided to get drunk. And some decided to take pride in the way we fought until the end.

When you get such polar-opposite views at a time when people are still emotionally charged (and possibly intoxicated) then there is going to be a big reaction. We've all been there and had an arguement in the heat of the moment - and then looked back later and realised we've over-reacted.
Unfortunately internet forums do not slowly disappear like memories and are still there the next day for the argument to continue and intensify.

Kipper

osh said:
We now have 811 members of the inferno forum. After last weekend a few members ( perhaps no more than 6 or so) voiced their personal opinions regarding certain players, as is their right to do so. What happens? Here are some of the comments levelled at them for expressing their opinions in what I would say was a fair manner ;-

They were accused of Quote ''being amongst the worst fans I have come across in 40 years of sport'';
Their comments were 'laughable'
Accused of being 'completely unforgiving'
They were told they were being 'disrespectful'
And another told them they were disgusted with the comment'

Opinions eh, that's all it is after all, but branding them as poor fans is uncalled for, still, less than 1% complain and 1.5% disagree, maybe the 98.5% of other members have got it right and say nothing ;) Personally, I think G held on to his job based on perhaps the 4th quarter of the season. The decision has been made to stick with him and he now deserves a chance to justify the faith shown in him, I wish him much luck. It will be interesting to see who he can hold on to, and what sort of player he can bring to the club for next season.
If you're going to quote my comments at least show me the courtesy of quoting me accurately. Where did I level an accusation or comment at anyone who had posted on this forum? The thread is entitled "Best or Worst Supporters" not forum contributors. I also referred to "Some so-called Devils fans". You can have no possible idea as to who I might be basing those comments on. Try reading what is actually written if you are going to quote someone, rather than saying what you think it says.

osh

Kipper said:
osh said:
We now have 811 members of the inferno forum. After last weekend a few members ( perhaps no more than 6 or so) voiced their personal opinions regarding certain players, as is their right to do so. What happens? Here are some of the comments levelled at them for expressing their opinions in what I would say was a fair manner ;-

They were accused of Quote ''being amongst the worst fans I have come across in 40 years of sport'';
Their comments were 'laughable'
Accused of being 'completely unforgiving'
They were told they were being 'disrespectful'
And another told them they were disgusted with the comment'

Opinions eh, that's all it is after all, but branding them as poor fans is uncalled for, still, less than 1% complain and 1.5% disagree, maybe the 98.5% of other members have got it right and say nothing ;) Personally, I think G held on to his job based on perhaps the 4th quarter of the season. The decision has been made to stick with him and he now deserves a chance to justify the faith shown in him, I wish him much luck. It will be interesting to see who he can hold on to, and what sort of player he can bring to the club for next season.
If you're going to quote my comments at least show me the courtesy of quoting me accurately. Where did I level an accusation or comment at anyone who had posted on this forum? The thread is entitled "Best or Worst Supporters" not forum contributors. I also referred to "Some so-called Devils fans". You can have no possible idea as to who I might be basing those comments on. Try reading what is actually written if you are going to quote someone, rather than saying what you think it says.

Kipper, you are splitting hairs I have to say. So, none of your comments were levelled at anyone who has posted on the forum. If so, I stand corrected. KettDevils original post refered to what he had read on the forum, therefore the reply posts would have related to that. If you say you weren't quoting about any fans on the forum or their alleged negative comments, then so be it, but let's just say I have my own thoughts on that eh?

Kipper

Let me assure you matey that I cba to split hairs. If I wanted to get personal with a poster or what they said I would front up and say it. You suggest I am a liar which I resent. I answered to the title of the thread. What part of that can't you understand?

osh

Kipper said:
Let me assure you matey that I cba to split hairs. If I wanted to get personal with a poster or what they said I would front up and say it. You suggest I am a liar which I resent. I answered to the title of the thread. What part of that can't you understand?
I'd rather you take the above comments to PM tbh. I have not at any point refered to you as a liar, they are your words not mine, I will not argue with you further on an open forum when you are choosing to be so aggresive, lets agree to disagree.

If you're questioning whether Devils fans in general are the best or worst and basing the worst on what goes on here, it may be worth bearing in mind that probably a maximum of 20% of regular fans ever post on here.
So basically we have the best fans, but in any walk of life you will always get the whingers who are far louder than the praisers :)

And as for why we were all so quiet in the final, it may have something to do with heart being in mouth, palms clenched, adrenalin pumping, unable to hear or see anything other than the play on the ice. And THAT is why we love hockey!