Best ever game in the WNIR

Electro

Some good memories returning that probably got lost thanks to to much drinking at the time. For me every game in the 90's was the best, for various reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wannabe2

Thread starter #22
Electro said:
Some good memories returning that probably got lost thanks to to much drinking at the time. For me every game in the 90's was the best, for various reasons.

He'y come on you, never mind the cop out, no one likes a drink more than me. Your favourite game please, come on rack your brain and let us know we are interested you know.

kettdevil1

The Challenge Cup Final 2006 was special but the one that springs to mind was in March 1990 against Murrayfield. We had won the league the previous week (in a farcical match against Peterborough) and the Racers came to town intent on revenge. The game was played on a Friday night and the rink was PACKED.I have never seen it so busy. Anyway to cut a long story short the Racers had been going on all week about how they were the true champions and they were going to show us up on Frday night. The result was a game that contained more hits than any I have seen before or since and the Devils playing hockey of the finest quality, we won 12-4 and there was no doubt who were the real champions.

Mooney#16

Devil_Abroad said:
Panthers bench clearance and Hope holding two young Panthers at arms length lol

For me my favourite part was Garth Premak pushing around Claude Dumas and then suddenly finding out the quiet French Canadian had a long fuse but an huge temper. Claude just unloaded on him and buried him in seconds. Oh how I cheered that one!

Electro

Devil_Abroad said:
Any game involving Steve Cadieux - worth the admission price

Nice guy, meet him in a chippy in Nottingham (if memory serves me right) after game.

august04

That first season Division 2 playoff weekend will always be in my memory bank. The first bench clearance I saw in the flesh against Grimbsy, followed by the loss in the final against Aviemore in what was an absolutely incredible game, where we came back time and again only to lose, felt like the end of the world after that game - only to be promoted anyway! There were a couple of great games against Telford too in the early days, which was a great rivalry at the time. Salmon, Conway, Chuck Taylor, they were bitter rivals. I can't remember the scores but always amazing atmospheres. The Norwich Union Cup game against Durham has already been mentioned - most of us were in the bar for the 3 hours that Durham were delayed, an absolutely incredible atmosphere that night and we almost pulled it off. The Nottingham bench clearance game was incredible - how they got out of the rink in one piece that night, I'll never know. That's several games I've mentioned though! If I had to pick one, it would be the Challenge Cup Final vs Coventry. A great comeback in a game that had it all played in front of a frenzied crowd. Happy days. I loved that barn, especially in the early days before the facilities were neglected.

wildthing74

kettdevil1 said:
The Challenge Cup Final 2006 was special but the one that springs to mind was in March 1990 against Murrayfield. We had won the league the previous week (in a farcical match against Peterborough) and the Racers came to town intent on revenge. The game was played on a Friday night and the rink was PACKED.I have never seen it so busy. Anyway to cut a long story short the Racers had been going on all week about how they were the true champions and they were going to show us up on Frday night. The result was a game that contained more hits than any I have seen before or since and the Devils playing hockey of the finest quality, we won 12-4 and there was no doubt who were the real champions.
I was going to say that Racers game! The rink was unreal that night and all knitted out in Heineken colours which just happened to be our red,white and green.

Koopmans was talking garbage about showing who was the best team and we ass whooped them without Stevie Moria who got head hunted in Ayr and had a bad neck injury.

I can remember it like it was last week and we showed the nation on prime time TV next day how much we were THE team at the time.

My first time at the rink, as a temporarily transplanted Canadian...a 12-1 league win over Fife Flyers on Nov 7/92. Couldn't believe how great the atmosphere was compared to "back home". Don't think I missed a game for the rest of the season. Lopsided scorelines were pretty common then :)

fridaysfingers

There was a game that has stayed in my mind, but only for the ending. Don't remember the year (early nineties im guessing) or anything else in the game but we were a goal down against the Panthers going into the last minute and scored two goals to win.
i think the winner was squeezed in from an angle with something daft like 2 seconds to go. i think they had run into penalty trouble from losing it too.

Does this ring any bells for anyone or am just imagining it????

jenks33

fridaysfingers said:
There was a game that has stayed in my mind, but only for the ending. Don't remember the year (early nineties im guessing) or anything else in the game but we were a goal down against the Panthers going into the last minute and scored two goals to win.
i think the winner was squeezed in from an angle with something daft like 2 seconds to go. i think they had run into penalty trouble from losing it too.

It sounds like the game from 2003. We were 1-0 down to the panthers with a couple of minutes left and we somehow won it in regulation. I'm sure Matulik got one, he might well have got both actually

tim78

1995 end of season game against the panthers coming from behind to win followed by a bench clearance which Knocked the kitty from 1st to 3rd that weekend. Cardiff jumped to 2nd in the league.

For me, definitely the 2nd leg of the Autumn Cup v Durham. Our first season in the top flight and we'd lost the first leg up at the Riverside. Return leg was hugely anticipated - we were the new kids on the block (with a couple of quid and the Coopers), they were the reigning Champs! As previous posts have mentioned, they arrived about 3 hours late due to bad weather but nobody left the WNIR. Interesting pre-match entertainment if I remember with a few impromptu on-ice strip tease routines from a few Devils (can't see that happening these days). Wasps finally turned up and we beat them 10-6. It set down a marker that we could live with and beat the best. The rest is history! Fantastic atmosphere, complete sell out and the place was still rocking at midnight.

jenks33 said:
fridaysfingers said:

It sounds like the game from 2003. We were 1-0 down to the panthers with a couple of minutes left and we somehow won it in regulation. I'm sure Matulik got one, he might well have got both actually
Yeah that was 2003, one of my first games. I was explaining how the game would be going to OT after the equaliser as the winning goal went in!

Pretty sure the same thing happened in a game a week or two later as well.

kingmo19.2 said:
For me, definitely the 2nd leg of the Autumn Cup v Durham. Our first season in the top flight and we'd lost the first leg up at the Riverside. Return leg was hugely anticipated - we were the new kids on the block (with a couple of quid and the Coopers), they were the reigning Champs! As previous posts have mentioned, they arrived about 3 hours late due to bad weather but nobody left the WNIR. Interesting pre-match entertainment if I remember with a few impromptu on-ice strip tease routines from a few Devils (can't see that happening these days). Wasps finally turned up and we beat them 10-6. It set down a marker that we could live with and beat the best. The rest is history! Fantastic atmosphere, complete sell out and the place was still rocking at midnight.
Yes, this one sticks in my mind also. The rivalry between us at the time was far more bitter than the one we have with the Squeelers I believe, especially as we pinched the Coopers off them. I also remember some pretty intense games with Murrayfield. I used to sit behind the benches in those days and it was always a delight winding Jim Mollard up...who always bit! Great days and very fond memories...but have to say were living through possibly greater!!!! :p

Slartibartfast

Definitely the Murrayfield game where we came from 6-1 down to win 8-6. I think we were out of the playoffs if we lost.
Dave (Eagle8) have you got a video of that? I had it on VHS but gave my collection to Simon for his pub.
I would love to see it again. Great game.