Ben Davis offered contract, Matt Towe not returning?

TheStub said:
I just wish he would shoot more. Work on the shot, and he will be a great package - with the right line and chances, he has everything Davies doesn't - hockey sense and strength on the puck.
Don't the top scorers in most sports always say that you can't teach someone how to score goals? You either have it or you don't. ;)

Secondly how can you say Towe has everything Davies doesn't in hockey sense? Sorry but I think that's a ridiculous statement that Ben doesn't have any hockey sense. :shock:

I'd say Ben has been more highly rated throughout his career than Towe has by Elite coaches, EPL coaches and those in the Junior Conferences, England and GB junior set ups too which shows they think he has something about him.

Compare Ben Davies' youth stats and international GB U20 and U18 stats to Towe's. Ben's are better. Towe for example is in the same age group as Craig Peacock and Rob Dowd and his stats aren't any where near their standards. Ben is in the same age group as Rob Farmer and Nathan Salem both who play for Elite clubs, and at international level he's done better than them. I don't know why people are so desperate for him to have experience at EPL level too. Farmer who is maybe younger than Ben who started the year in the EPL has shown that he can cope in the Elite and its not exactly going to hurt young players in training and playing with the best players in the country either is it? For me Craig Peacock is not the player he is now because he spent time in the EPL its because he spent a year playing in Canada.

Towe has done ok while here but he's not at the standard of other Brits his age and so if he goes I wouldn't be bothered too much.

Ben is 2 years younger than Towe and in my opinion a better prospect who we should be trying to hang on to before another team 'steals' him from us. It seems to me that people think that because Ben is quite small that he won't be able to cope in the top league. Like it stopped players like Vezio :lol:

Merthyr Devil said:
TheStub said:
I just wish he would shoot more. Work on the shot, and he will be a great package - with the right line and chances, he has everything Davies doesn't - hockey sense and strength on the puck.
Don't the top scorers in most sports always say that you can't teach someone how to score goals? You either have it or you don't. ;)

Secondly how can you say Towe has everything Davies doesn't in hockey sense? Sorry but I think that's a ridiculous statement that Ben doesn't have any hockey sense. :shock:

I'd say Ben has been more highly rated throughout his career than Towe has by Elite coaches, EPL coaches and those in the Junior Conferences, England and GB junior set ups too which shows they think he has something about him.

Compare Ben Davies' youth stats and international GB U20 and U18 stats to Towe's. Ben's are better. Towe for example is in the same age group as Craig Peacock and Rob Dowd and his stats aren't any where near their standards. Ben is in the same age group as Rob Farmer and Nathan Salem both who play for Elite clubs, and at international level he's done better than them. I don't know why people are so desperate for him to have experience at EPL level too. Farmer who is maybe younger than Ben who started the year in the EPL has shown that he can cope in the Elite and its not exactly going to hurt young players in training and playing with the best players in the country either is it? For me Craig Peacock is not the player he is now because he spent time in the EPL its because he spent a year playing in Canada.

Towe has done ok while here but he's not at the standard of other Brits his age and so if he goes I wouldn't be bothered too much.

Ben is 2 years younger than Towe and in my opinion a better prospect who we should be trying to hang on to before another team 'steals' him from us. It seems to me that people think that because Ben is quite small that he won't be able to cope in the top league. Like it stopped players like Vezio :lol:
Another small guy springs to mind Lawless, lol

The thing is, Towe has had three years as a professional to 'work on his shot' and there has been no noticeable improvement. Let's be honest, if we have a breakaway or one-on-one the last forward most of us want to see there is Towe. He is a good passer however and it could be argued he hasn't been given the opportunity to fully develop his game. No doubt he's been gigged around a bit which for a young player is not ideal.

If he enjoys a bit too much of the party life as well then that's another reason to let go. Our players aren't good enough (relative to other teams in the league) to do too much of that and win anything.

Davies is more of a risk, but with young guys (if it's one or the other) I'm sure coaches would rather keep hold of blokes who have something a little extra - which IMO Davies has. IMO it's fairly clear that Towe won't go on to become a 'marquee-brit' whereas Davies 'could' - not anywhere near guranteed, but the potential seems to be there.

With G playing D he can always step up to the third line and we'll be left with the same make-up of D we had this year (although hopefully higher quality overall). Remember, we can sign one less UK trained player than last year and have the same number of regular shift players. Adams is basically replacing Towe (an upgrade) and giving Davies a bigger opportunity than last year.

Worth holding on to Davies at this stage (could be a crackin investement) and if this offer is what was needed it's worth it IMO.

ASHIPP

I get all the concerns about Ben's jump from ENL to Elite without the EPL experience. Like I said earlier, it's a catch 22. He will never be able to demonstrate/develop that potential unless he is given consistent, regular line slot on the team. Playing the odd game and training with the squad is great but he will only be able to advance/contribute his skills in real match situations.
He's so commited to making that step - and it is his time, after 2 years as an 'apprentice'.
So many people have agreed that he is far too advanced for ENL level now - so rather than lose him somewhere else, he is definitely a player who needs to be nutured and brought on.
Don't be suprised if something similar happens to Stevie Fisher in the near future. :cool:

James

Administrator
Eurohockey has him playing 9 games for Wildcats in the EPL 08-09. Pretty sure he played there this year too (eurohockey isnt that up to date) Ben seems to play for any team that will give him ice time, which at his age, is a good thing. So technically he hasn't had _no_ EPL experience :)

James

Administrator
ruthiec said:
sorry ...... thought u meant this season ... played well for ENL too ..... :D
He didn't play too many games for the ENL but he was clearly way too good for it. The ENL games I saw, he spent the entire game feeding other players, then towards the end of the game would carry the puck the full length of the ice and score with little effort, seemingly just to show he could.

ASHIPP

Playing the odd few games for an EPL team is not the same as playing virtually every game for a full season like Jamie or Alex. In saying that, the arguement could therefore be build that Ben has had equally limited opportunity to play full shifts in the Elite team so how can his adaptability possibly be judged? He needs to be kept hold of and developed at senior level - just like Alex, Jamie and hopefully Stevie Fisher. Good young prospects are really at a premium.

I think he played 6 games for the ENLs. I might be wrong.

James is right. watching him in the ENLs sometimes was like watching a big kid playing football with the little kids (in terms of ability, not physical size). He could run rings round 90% of the league and was so fast he was picking up his own clearances and rebounds. Great to watch. Sometimes, at Elite level, he gets bullied right out of games, particularly the more physical ones.

My opinion is Davis really good and has great potential, I'd really like to see him around next year getting the experience and growing. I'm pleased that keeping the youngsters is starting to look like a theme.

Anyone who knows anything about football should remember the phrase "You can't win anything with kids". :lol:

rolf

i'm fat, fifty, bald and believe myself to be the guru of uk ice hockey. my job is simple from my side of the plexi which is how comes i am so good at it. for my money, matt towe is about the same as he was when he joined us, maybe even a little less points-productive. ben davies is an up-coming prospect and should be given pretty well what he needs.

i remember a guy called elich who had played in the nhl (so almost as knowledgable as me-fnaar fnaar) playing for us and the player he looked for was ben. he nearly always found him too which is due to ben's ability, speed and vision. none of our other players on that team could keep up with matt, ben could.

matt elich pretty well sums up my views on the two guys in question. be nice to see him back mentoring ben. i'd also like to see towey back too, he's a genuine grafter and has a position to play in our team.

to choose out of the two, i'd ask for matt elich's opinion.......................

kettdevil1

rolf said:
i'm fat, fifty, bald and believe myself to be the guru of uk ice hockey. my job is simple from my side of the plexi which is how comes i am so good at it. for my money, matt towe is about the same as he was when he joined us, maybe even a little less points-productive. ben davies is an up-coming prospect and should be given pretty well what he needs.

i remember a guy called elich who had played in the nhl (so almost as knowledgable as me-fnaar fnaar) playing for us and the player he looked for was ben. he nearly always found him too which is due to ben's ability, speed and vision. none of our other players on that team could keep up with matt, ben could.

matt elich pretty well sums up my views on the two guys in question. be nice to see him back mentoring ben. i'd also like to see towey back too, he's a genuine grafter and has a position to play in our team.

to choose out of the two, i'd ask for matt elich's opinion.......................
Actually this pretty much sums up my feelings as well. In contrast with some contributors to this thread I would say that one of Ben's great strengths is his ability to be in the right place at the right time, his partnership with Elich showed that.

Ben appears to have stagnated a little over the last year and I suspect that this is because of his lack of ice time. We have been saying that he is a great prospect for some time, well he is now 19 years old and it is time to step up to the plate and prove to us that he is the player that we think he can be.

If he signs, it is a big season for Ben.

ASHIPP

rolf said:

This illustrates exactly what Ben is capable of. Last year, he was still one of the fastest and grittiest players out there, even on limited shifts (and without Matt Elich!). If he could keep up with Matt Elich 2 seasons ago, Ben has the stamina for hockey at this level. I would love to see him on a permanent line with players like Ryan or Tylor who could mentor and develop him too. Then we would really see what a valuable prospect Ben is going to be. ;)

I rember watching Ben last season when he was a 'newby' and he was def one to watch then ...... G just needs to give him a chance out there ......

I have a lot of time for Matt and thoroughly respect his contribution both on and off the ice, however in my personal opinion I'd like to see Ben get more ice time. I know I'm biased as I work with him at Specsavers, but the effort he makes to keep his job going, training with the Devils and the work in the gym is immense. He's totally committed to the game and wants nothing more than to get regular ice time in his home town and make a career out of hockey. I remember years ago we'd give the Cardiff boys a chance - that's why the likes of Phil Hill and Jonathan Phillips are as good as they are today. I think Ben proved last year that he's a very smart hockey player and a great skater and if we're going to reap the benefits of home grown talent, he needs the ice time.

Much respect to Matt, but for me Ben's the one we go with.