Ben Davies Returns To Devils

ASHIPP

wildthing74 said:
I know we have the luxury of an extra import skater with Lyle in net but I was hoping this year we would be able to get a top end Brit that would be good enough for the first line.With all movement elsewhere this won't happen and likes of Panthers have 2 such Brits in Myers and Clarke.
As been said Hill is a must now and would be a key guy next season.One advantage we do have and only my opnion is that apart from Richie all our Brits are Cardiff boys and I always feel that a hometown boy will give that extra 10% needed in everygame as in most cases have been fans of the club before they even made pro.
With Hill and Myers/Phillips I would have put our Brits as being as good as any other team in the league.
Phil signing for the Devils was always crucial......now it is critical to have a British forward of his calibre and experience in the team. Our other British forwards are developing prospects who will do a great job on the team - remember that Sam and Ben were of a high enough calibre to be selected for Team GB U20 (a team that contained Farmer and Lachowicz). It's great to see that G is mindful of the future by giving local talented guys a big opportunity to shine and develop - and that will only be accelerated playing alongside the experience and example of Phil, a perfect role model through the junior development system.

Really hoping we will hear some great news soon that Phil has re-signed for next year. :? :D

"his enthusiasm and committment can only be infectious to others"

Is that the commitment that involved walking out on the club?

I'm pretty surprised by this signing, and I just hope that Ben's attitude has changed and he can demonstrate to the team, management & fans how much he wants to play for the Devils.

If he, and others around him, have changed a little then I look forward to him becoming an integral part of the team in years to come.

Forgive me if I am not to enthusiastic about Bens return.I am still finding it hard to come to terms with the way he dropped G in it last season.He was told from the start that he was up against Sam Smith and he took the challenge on.Running away when the going gets tough is not the ideal temperament for a hockey player.

I saw him play for the Bison a few times and he really did stand out in the EPL :) Glad to see him back at the Devils as he has a great work rate and seems to give it his all

I watched him play a couple of times for the Bison last year against the Slough Jets, and he looked pretty sharp. His speed and work rate are excellent. He turned Jan Krajicek inside out constantly in both games. Ok - Jan is no Craig Weller, but he was a solid EIHL D-man quite recently.

Even though I am a fan of Ben's, I do not believe he is good enough to be a 9th forward in a top 4 team and only time will tell. This signing appears to be a last resort as there was no one else out there. All I hope is that the money saved on Ben can be used to tempt Hill back otherwise I fear for next season. One question I ask myself is would Ben get a 3rd line spot for the Steelers, Blaze, Giants, Panthers even Stingrays and the answer is No. So why are we signing him!!!

voth26

not sure about ben resigning, for me he is going to have to raise his game bar a hell of a long way to match sam at least, maybe with regular ice time this will happen. i would agree that it seems that it's a panic signing ref good brits out there no disrespect to ben for me he seems best of whats out there :roll: come the start of the season i'm sure he will be cheered the same as all the players, if i'm honest i will be really surprised if hilly resigns for us really hope he does but at this moment in time got a niggling doubt :!: :!:

zoesdevil

I can believe some people on here!! End of the day I thought Ben was a really good player for us and one of our best wen Voth was out injured, it's a shame people have short memories!! Let's get behind him not stone him before he's even played his first game!! :eek: :roll:

Wannabe2

zoesdevil said:
I can believe some people on here!! End of the day I thought Ben was a really good player for us and one of our best wen Voth was out injured, it's a shame people have short memories!! Let's get behind him not stone him before he's even played his first game!! :eek: :roll:
I am totally with you girl, myself i think Ben will make a few people eat there words, he is getting stronger, and better with age, he is a local lad who wont need accomodation and wont demand a big wage, i welcome you back Ben as will many other people. As for Hilly he bleeds red and for the life of me i cant see him going anywhere.

Welcome back Ben.

If Hill resigns, we will have the same Brits as last year, that is absolutely fine by me. We may not have a Tait or Clarke, but would you swap any of their british D for Mark Richardson? We competed in every competition last year, and with the reduction of import numbers I can't see us not competing again this year. I honestly can't.

Exactly which teams have improved in terms of their Brit contingent compared to last year?

If they have, does that mean they have less to spend on imports?

Plus if the other big teams have signed all these fantastic Brits, where is Hill going to go? Are they going to spend even more on their Brits.

I kinda like the fact that we have a strong Welsh contingent - I'm sure that has a positive impact on the development of our younger players.

voth26

zoesdevil said:
excuse me but every body has players they prefer and for me ben is not high on my list, i dont have a short memory as you infer in your post I well remember bens contribution during the time vother was out. as ben has signed he becomes a devils player once again and i will support him as all devils players will be, having said that it doesnt mean he has to be my favorite devils player!!!

ASHIPP

BrentisGod said:
Even though I am a fan of Ben's, I do not believe he is good enough to be a 9th forward in a top 4 team and only time will tell. This signing appears to be a last resort as there was no one else out there. All I hope is that the money saved on Ben can be used to tempt Hill back otherwise I fear for next season. One question I ask myself is would Ben get a 3rd line spot for the Steelers, Blaze, Giants, Panthers even Stingrays and the answer is No. So why are we signing him!!!
Last resort? I don't think so. He along with Sam were high enough calibre to play for Team GB U18 medalwinning team, which included Farmer and Lacowicz, both young developing prospects. I also seem to remember Steve Thornton as coach of Belfast taking a chance on a young Craig Peacock 2 years ago, and Paul Thompson throwing young Venus in at the deep end last year. Tristan Harper spent his first year in the EIHL last year with Dundee and has secured a move to Hull. Anyone got any other examples?

By the way, Ben averaged over a point per game in the EPL, not half bad for a player who only played for less than half a season and had to settle in. His speed, tenacity and enthusiasm every shift are not in doubt. So fast, G played Ben alongside Matt Elich 3 season's ago (Ben was 17) and he was the only guy who could keep up with him!

Whilst this may be a suprise signing to some folks (myself included) bearing in mind Ben's departure last season, it sounds like G has every confidence in Ben's attitude and skills (and his EPL experience). If they are able to move on, then let's look forward to seeing G and Franny build the team.

zoesdevil

Wannabe2 said:
zoesdevil said:
I am totally with you girl, myself i think Ben will make a few people eat there words, he is getting stronger, and better with age, he is a local lad who wont need accomodation and wont demand a big wage, i welcome you back Ben as will many other people. As for Hilly he bleeds red and for the life of me i cant see him going anywhere.
Totally agree wiv u and u were right about hilly bleeding red as he's signed plus i think we can concentrate on Stuuuuuuu and Pelle now and wiv Ben not taking a huge chunk for his wage we can probably offer them a little higher wage!

"I am totally with you girl"

p.s I'm a man called Carl trapped behind a womans username!! ;) :lol:

zoesdevil

James said:
zoesdevil said:
hilly bleeding red
I fully understand the sentiment of this statement. Still makes me smile though
I was thinking blood is red anyway wen I read the post but as I was writin my reply I though sod it! Haha
Devil red is a different red altogether, u gota be special to bleed Devil red!! :twisted: :lol:

Wannabe2

zoesdevil said:
James said:
zoesdevil said:
hilly bleeding red
I fully understand the sentiment of this statement. Still makes me smile though
I was thinking blood is red anyway wen I read the post but as I was writin my reply I though sod it! Haha
Devil red is a different red altogether, u gota be special to bleed Devil red!! :twisted: :lol:
p.s I'm a man called Carl trapped behind a womans username!!

Which one of you two is special, Zoe or Carl, do you both get along with each other, and do you guys have 2 season tickets or do you take it in turns to see the devils. More weirdly which toilet do you use. :lol: :lol: :lol:

zoesdevil

voth26 said:
zoesdevil said:
excuse me but every body has players they prefer and for me ben is not high on my list, i dont have a short memory as you infer in your post I well remember bens contribution during the time vother was out. as ben has signed he becomes a devils player once again and i will support him as all devils players will be, having said that it doesnt mean he has to be my favorite devils player!!!
Where exactly I specifically said that you had a short memory about his performance durin voth's injury I don't know, as I said some people and I didn't say Ben had to be anyone's favourite player I just said for people to support him, get behind him and don't judge before he's played a game as he mite come back a better player! Who knows he mite even change your mind and become your favourite player :lol:
At the end of the day unlike Myers Ben decided to come home which for me is great!! :twisted:

zoesdevil

I fully understand the sentiment of this statement. Still makes me smile though[/quote]

Devil red is a different red altogether, u gota be special to bleed Devil red!! :twisted: :lol:[/quote]
p.s I'm a man called Carl trapped behind a womans username!!

Which one of you two is special, Zoe or Carl, do you both get along with each other, and do you guys have 2 season tickets or do you take it in turns to see the devils. More weirdly which toilet do you use. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Haha Zoe is my girlfriend and we both use separate toilets, we are both season ticket holders, as she's my girlfriend we don't get along that much as she is always right and she is the special one as it's not worth my b***s to say otherwise!! :lol:

I'm all for giving Ben a fresh start.The fact that he has appologised to G and Franny about last season might suggest he's more of a man than the one that left.
Finnerty arrived with mixed views from fans but by and large won most people over, I think Ben will do the same.The ball is however in his court,I dont think he should expect to be welcome with open arms,it's up to him to prove his worth to everyone.