Bans for Lepine and Campbell

steve

adopting the NHL changes is fine in theory, but when you have 4 officials and they have eyes its fine. what it means for us, is that everytime 'someone' aka Brad, checks a player where he rises from a low position into a high position (i.e. good technique) it's going to be a check to the head according to the ref.

On first viewing it doesn't even look like Silverthorn had touched the puck before he got battered! I'll have to watch it again later to make a clearer opinion.

Unfortunately Mr Lepine is now earning himself a reputation. 3 checks to the head in 3 weeks - tut tut! I wonder how long he'll stick it out for...

These seem to be the key parts of the rule on checking to the head (from the suspension article on the elite league website);

5. A check delivered by a player on an opponent carrying the puck with his head down as he approaches the checking player, shall not be ruled as "checking to the head" if the checking player does not raise, extend or direct his arm, elbow, shoulder or any part of his body towards the head or neck area of the opponent.

6. If the checking player is maintaining his position in the normal manner as a part of the game while the opposing player is approaching him, his check will not be considered as "checking to the head" unless the points listed in #3 or #4 above apply.

For me, this still leaves a fair bit open to interpretation of intent (not ideal IMO) However, irt's also clear that a hit to the head isn't necessarily a checking to the head penalty.

For what it's worth, the current interpretation of the rule by the elite league suggests that a player with his head down can skate in that way without fear of being hit (unless the checking player gets on his needs to make the hit).

Quite a good tactic for the skill guys - just skate with our head down and your only worry is a poke check. They'll actually be safer skating with their head down. :D

Rempel16

TheStub said:
Why? Because players were getting injured. I agree with the IIHF comment in the Elite League article, there is no such thing as a clean hit to the head, and it is the responsibility of the player making.g the hit to try and avoid the impact.
Sounds like a Simms comment there.

Just like Strachan said on the Sky highlights show following the hit on Globke, Lepine has committed to pinching, Globke has his head down. Lepine has to make that hit - he would get flamed by his coach if he didn't and Globke would probably have skated through on a breakaway.

I'm intrigued to hear your methods on how to hit a guy shoulder-to-shoulder when the guy's head is in the way? (players are taught to focus on the guy's chest and hit it, not the shoulder)

Yes, hits to the head are unfortunate instances but the rule has been created for those that check to the head in spite of an alternative checking area being available. If a guy is skating at you head-on with his head down, there is no alternative but to nail his head as part of the hit, that's why the rules allow it provided the arms/elbow don't raise.

We are going to set a very odd precedent if these bans continue as players will cotton on that they can skate freely with their head down knowing that the oncoming opponent cannot check them until they're side-by-side. What absolute tosh!

Incidentally, following the Globke hit, who did Globke blame? Himself for having his head down.

It's the first thing a hockey player is taught for contact hockey.

Finny

What if you crouch down so that your shoulder is below the head?
Surely that wouldn't be too difficult and there is then less chance of injury?

Rempel16

Finny said:
So you're hitting a smaller guy. As you crouch you explode into the hit with your quads, meaning you naturally rise into the hit. You connect with the chest and your shoulder slides up and smashes the guy in the face because his head was down.

Same chance of injury, penalised again for checking to the head.

Finny said:
So say Pelle, Prudden, Talbot or any of the smaller players are skating up ice with the head down and in front of them is a big D.man like Hoffman, Weller, Zarb or Lepine. The time in which a hit is made is seconds so how do guys that big crouch down to hit a smaller guy with his head down. If these bans continue every smaller guy in the league will be taking the puck from one end of the ice to the other knowing they will not be checked by the big guys..

TheStub

First question, how many bans have been handed out? To how many players? It doesn't look like every check is being punished yet.

Secondly, surely it is a case of modifying slightly the thought leading to the check. The rules allow for contact if there was no way to avoid it.

Thirdly, surely not changing the rules because it will not be called right is a rather myopic argument. There have already been calls in the NHL that are being debated heatedly, and we have these calls. See this year as a transition, where the refs, teams and the league debate what should or shouldn't be called and how are they punished.

I can't be bothered to re-read my first post, but I was intending to generalise to the abstract case. Hits to the head are bad, I'm sure we can all agree with that. What we are then left with is the debating of symantics. What I would hope is happening are lines being drawn, and standards set. In a season or two it will just be accepted.

For my money, if you are coming from an angle on a player you are responsible for avoiding the contact with the head.

ASHIPP

Lepine's ban downgraded after 'video review'......

http://www.eliteleague.co.uk

This is infuriating - the Devils were told that a review was not possible when Sawyer was facing his ban a few weeks ago. It makes you wonder whether certain teams have more 'influence' than others! :roll:
Lepine, therefore, will be available for the CC game against Panthers on the 13th.

Let us pray that Craig Weller has arrived............ :?

Gazza272

ASHIPP said:

This makes me angry - the Devils were told that a review was not possible when Sawyer was facing his ban.It makes you wonder whether certain teams have more 'influence' than others! :roll:
Lepine, therefore, will be available for the CC game against Panthers on the 13th.

Any ban under 3 games isnt eligible for review. Lepines was 4 so was able to be reviewed.

James

Administrator
In all fairness I think it was an appeal that wasn't allowed. The hit would be reviewed anyway as it was a match penalty. I'm not that surprised that Gary Moran got his way though.

ASHIPP

Gazza272 said:
ASHIPP said:

This makes me angry - the Devils were told that a review was not possible when Sawyer was facing his ban.It makes you wonder whether certain teams have more 'influence' than others! :roll:

Any ban under 3 games isnt eligible for review. Lepines was 4 so was able to be reviewed.
Was that stated anywhere? I must have missed reading it.

Ocko

I think people need to stop watching hockey through a rule book. Think of the game as if you are playing it and the way you would've been taught through all age groups (obviously the N. American way); the players wont be thinking if I crouch this way or that way blah blah blah. Lepine would've seen Globke about to break out at speed with his head down and instinctively went for the big open ice hit. His hands were down, his elbows were down and he didnt jump into it - nothing wrong with it. Globke learnt a hard lesson that day about keeping his head up. These hits happen all the time in other leagues, but this wasnt a hit to the head! He's just taller, just like Voth so will naturally be nearer the head area. Do you expect these players to skate around crouching? I would be fuming if I was Lepine's coach if he came off after ducking out of either of the hits. I would pat him on the back, he's their big tough defencemen and he's doing his job!

James

Administrator
Mark666 said:
How will this sort of ruling effect our 6'4, hard hitting, NHL superstar?
We aren't Nottingham so it won't affect us. I hear tell Mr Hicks refused to amend the game sheet. Far be it from me to side with Hicksy, but good on him for not caving into league pressure.

Gazza272

ASHIPP said:
[q
Was that stated anywhere? I must have missed reading it.[/quote]

It's been a league rule for a few seasons now, brought in around the first few weeks of the season when the Voth and Knight thing kicked off.

Scott Kelman of the Coventry Blaze was given a two match ban for abuse of official and couldnt appeal it as it was under 3 games. I had no complaints with Sawyer not being able to appeal on that basis.

DevilDom

So in this case it would have been better if Lepine had been given a 2 game ban as that couldn't have been downgraded because by being given a higher initial ban of 4 games he has been able to appeal that down to 1 game? Sounds a bit cock-eyed if you ask me!

Gospel

Lets be fair nobody wants or likes sneaky dirty play by any player, on the other hand the bigger guys of league and in our case Brad and going to be penalised more and more. I think if Weller starts kicking off he will get whacked to.

We have seen Brad get penalties for some check or elbows but when he stands so tall against a smaller player his arms are going to be higher and closer to the head than others.

Our league is becoming soft and the rough tough but fair sport of ice hockey will be the one to pay the price as people wont want to come and watch people slap a puck about, skating up and down the ice and shooting with no hits or action.

All we want is just hard but fair play and the officials need to play their part to and stop calling stupid penalties that are not justified.