Are we going to struggle this year ?

Wannabe2

Re: We Are going to struggle this year!

They dont appear to be very happy with there team in Belfast, not a lot of happy bunnies there, and they are supposed to be the team to beat, so we aint on our own at the moment.

Sawyer and Michel both saying no need to panic on twitter.Good to see ex players taking an interest.

I reckon we have nothing to worry about.. some guys finding their feet, lines needing to work together a bit better. shaking the lines up mid game seems to work... every year we have a poor start to the season, this year is no different. a few weeks on the ice and the guys will find form, everyone will be wondering what they were worried about and it's old news. :cool: on another note, i am liking jeff pierce.. if he plays like a whippet and scores the way he does every game, i for one will not be sorry we lost Pelle to the giants. :D

It really amazes me how shortsighted some 'fans' can be. Give it time. If it was a 16 game season (like the NFL), and we had lost 3 of the first 4 games, I could understand the panic. But it isn't, so I can't.

By way of a comparable example, the Boston Red Sox lost something like 10 of their first 14 games this season after spending millions of dollars in the off-season and being labelled as favourites to make the World Series. Now they're a shoe-in for the playoffs. But of greater significance is the fact that Fenway Park was still sold out EVERY game, win or lose.

Real fans support their team through the barren patches, the ugly hockey and the losses. Real fans accept that it takes time for a team to gel and that writing thoughtless and unsupportive comments on fan forums is only going to annoy the management and players. Perhaps these 'fans' would be better off focusing their energy on cheering louder and voicing their support, rather than their criticisms.

I appreciate the frustration of travelling all the way to Nottingham to see a poor performance. However, whilst the effort of attending away games should be commended, maybe these people need to manage their own expectations a little at this early stage of the season.

With any luck, we'll all be sitting here in 6/8 weeks' time talking about Pierce's scoring streak and the shut-down defence of Frank and Co.

Tommy, you make some good points, but my expectations were pretty low for Saturday! It's not often we go to Nottingham and win, so I knew it would be tough.

What I did expect was to see the players putting in effort and busting a gut for the shirt. That didn't happen at all.

I can take losing, I can even take the odd mauling, but I can't - and won't - accept a lack of effort whether it's the first or last game of the season.

A

Anonymous

bluedevil said:
Tommy, you make some good points, but my expectations were pretty low for Saturday! It's not often we go to Nottingham and win, so I knew it would be tough.

What I did expect was to see the players putting in effort and busting a gut for the shirt. That didn't happen at all.

I can take losing, I can even take the odd mauling, but I can't - and won't - accept a lack of effort whether it's the first or last game of the season.
Could not agree more !!

voth26

it's that time of the year again the hockey season has started and as per usual some fickle devil's fans are at it from the off, slating the team for losing,playing badly, new imports not all they are cracked up to be as per their reputations and OUR expectations, certain existing players resigned when not really wanted back by some fans. we have just played the 2ND meaningful game of what will be a very long and hard season, i accept that it may not have been sunshine and light on saturday at the NIC, but before the team are slated anymore, and questions asked of players ask yourself a question and give an honest answer for those of us who have started/moved to a new job were you a 100% EFFECTIVE and EFFICIENT in your first 2 weeks!!!! answers on a post card ;) We are supposed to be the best fans in the league, but we are also the biggest moaners in the league. Ladies and gentlemen there will be more poor performances this season some we will win some we wont, some games we will deserve to win but lose other games we will deserve to lose and we will win. we should all have one thing in common and that is to support THE CARDIFF DEVILS COME WHAT MAY thank you and see you on the ice

To answer your question, I might not have been 100% efficient, but I made sure I put as much effort as possible in. I made mistakes but I tried to make up for it by working that bit harder.

it's that time of the year again the hockey season has started and as per usual some fickle devil's fans are at it from the off, slating the team for losing,playing badly, new imports not all they are cracked up to be as per their reputations and OUR expectations, certain existing players resigned when not really wanted back by some fans. we have just played the 2ND meaningful game of what will be a very long and hard season, i accept that it may not have been sunshine and light on saturday at the NIC, but before the team are slated anymore, and questions asked of players ask yourself a question and give an honest answer for those of us who have started/moved to a new job were you a 100% EFFECTIVE and EFFICIENT in your first 2 weeks!!!! answers on a post card ;) We are supposed to be the best fans in the league, but we are also the biggest moaners in the league. Ladies and gentlemen there will be more poor performances this season some we will win some we wont, some games we will deserve to win but lose other games we will deserve to lose and we will win. we should all have one thing in common and that is to support THE CARDIFF DEVILS COME WHAT MAY thank you and see you on the ice
And it's that time of year when all you people can't tolerate anyone having an opinion that isnt yours.

On Saturday the team were terrible, they did not appear to put any effort in at all, bluedevil has already said that better than I can though. If the team had bothered, and we'd have lost there wouldnot have been all the comments there were.

Why is it that people like you cant tolerate a single bad thing being said against any of our players, even if they do play rubbish? Are you friends with them all on facebook or something? Twitter buddies?

To add to that. On Sunday a completely different team played with a completely different ethos, and everyone said what a remarkable difference it was.

If the team put in the effort and still lose, well then we were beaten by the better team. If the team cannot be bothered and we lose then their is something dramatically wrong and people should be free to comment on it.

Paul Sullivan

DevilsPete said:
And it's that time of year when all you people can't tolerate anyone having an opinion that isnt yours.

On Saturday the team were terrible, they did not appear to put any effort in at all, bluedevil has already said that better than I can though. If the team had bothered, and we'd have lost there wouldnot have been all the comments there were.

Why is it that people like you cant tolerate a single bad thing being said against any of our players, even if they do play rubbish? Are you friends with them all on facebook or something? Twitter buddies?
"You people?" "People like you?"

You sound at least as intolerant as you are accusing another poster of being. Which I thought was off limits? At least criticise the post not the poster and the un-named "people" who feel like they do....

I saw the game Saturday. I saw a team that tried things - often the wrong things - and got punished. I saw the same team try things on Sunday and they worked. Big shock - the team designed to play well in Cardiff and nick some on the road played well in Cardiff.

I understand the cost and effort involved in travelling to the game to witness a drubbing - however I submit to you that any "people" who are prepared to condemn a team following one loss - however heavy - at the very beginning of a season are simply not particularly well rounded or experienced sports fans. We all want the very best from the Devils - our history demands it - but some people have a realism that this level of performance does not occur after three hours practise together and one competitive match.

I hope you get to have a less stressful time in the rest of the season than you had on Saturday. Because if some of the kind of posts that appeared after Saturday only need 1 loss to be created then I fear for the health of some Devils fans if we had a couple of losses together :)

voth26

bluedevil said:
To answer your question, I might not have been 100% efficient, but I made sure I put as much effort as possible in. I made mistakes but I tried to make up for it by working that bit harder.
bluedevil thanks for your answer, and for me thats what the guys did sunday night, i know it's annoying when there's a poor performance, but i think the job the guys do makes it more difficult for them as they are on show to many people so any mistake, or wrong decision is magnified hugely.

voth26

DevilsPete said:

Devilspete, first off not mates with any players on any social sites at all, second point my post was MY opinion of posts that have been posted due to the team losing in the nic, thirdly you dont even know me to accuse me of being "one of the people like you club", fourth i do tolerate comments aimed at the team/players when they play bad, what i dont tolerate is when their is a lack of consistency on the comments posted. we are supposed to be supporters of the team. and lastly some of the people who posted negative comments on here regarding saturday's game,then posted entirely different comments about sundays game so no consistency

Skippy

Re: Are going to struggle this year ?

Just to try and spin this thread a bit and get people talking and discussing rather that just arguing can I suggest a slight title change from " We are going to Struggle this year ! " to " Are we going to Struggle this year ? "

I don't think that we will struggle anymore this year than we have in the past few seasons, I'm not saying that we will win everything but I think the talent in the team is there for us to be competing at our around the top of the table.

Saturday was a bad day at the office or whatever else you want to call it but it was only one game and very early in the season. I went up and will be honest wasn’t happy with what I saw, but I can see that its early days yet and the makings of another good team are clearly there.

voth26

Re: Are going to struggle this year ?

skippy said:
Just to try and spin this thread a bit and get people talking and discussing rather that just arguing can I suggest a slight title change from " We are going to Struggle this year ! " to " Are we going to Struggle this year ? "

I don't think that we will struggle anymore this year than we have in the past few seasons, I'm not saying that we will win everything but I think the talent in the team is there for us to be competing at our around the top of the table.

Saturday was a bad day at the office or whatever else you want to call it but it was only one game and very early in the season. I went up and will be honest wasn’t happy with what I saw, but I can see that its early days yet and the makings of another good team are clearly there.
well said skippy, a common sense and realistic approach to what lays ahead

James

Administrator

voth26 said:
lastly some of the people who posted negative comments on here regarding saturday's game,then posted entirely different comments about sundays game so no consistency
Eh whut? They were different games with different performances. Can you not have different opinions about different games. Voth was fairly undisciplined (although also unlucky with some calls) and cost us at least a goal on Saturday. Sunday he played a lot smarter game. Is it inconsistent to say a player is bad one day and good the next?

D

Deleted member 1337

James said:
2.Voth was fairly undisciplined (3.although also unlucky with some calls)1. and cost us at least a goal on Saturday. Sunday he played a lot smarter game. Is it inconsistent to say a player is bad one day and good the next?
1.losing 6-1 or 6-2 dosent really change the game a lot

2.what can you expect from voth :)

3.and i am sure there where a few unluky calls

4.i did not see the game on saturday so my post is on what i have heared but i am sure i can trust james.

TheStub

Re: Re: We Are going to struggle this year!

elliswf said:
2.what can you expect from voth :)
The same as every other player. To play with their heads up, and not take dumb or soft penalties.

That's what I'd hope for anyway.