Anyone worried?

lloyd_jeff

Depends on the viability of the remaining ice pad, both profitably & within the Eco ethos. I guess no party has been successful in coming forward for the lease, l was hoping they’d release a list of potential interested parties and the time frame of when a successful partner would be announced. If nobody has come forward, then yes, closing the facility and redevelopment in inevitable. My fear is our owner group are already aware.

Legin

If I have read the document correctly, it say they will be approving the preferred bidder for lease at the meeting tomorrow

Earnie

Am I worried? Not really. Some encouraging things there, multi storey car park being one of them. Better commercial use of our unused second ice pad is another and hopefully Devils will be preferred bidder!

Mooney#16

That second pad should be transformed into a roller rink and undermine the house of sport rink. Turn IAW into a complete hub for all forms of hockey along with many other rink based sports. You’d retain the ability to always roll it back to twin ice pads at a later date then.

Kipper

The permanent loss of the second ice pad is hugely disappointing. It was what was fought for years ago to meet the increasing demand. I’d be surprised if the demand has decreased substantially

moggy#9

If Russell Goodwage is involved there’s always cause for concern!
Within the council I was once told that he's known as goodtime goodway. He's a complete waste of space. In any properly run city he'd have been out on his arse a long time ago.

The whole point of the second pad was to satisfy the huge demand for ice time. Saying it hasn't been used in some years as a justification (btw there was a pandemic!), Is absurd. Yes costs are high at the moment, but any alternative use needs to be temporary, so that when the outlook improves we get it back.

I still find it annoying that we miss out on a Skidome, but get another climbing wall, and another opportunity for the council to demonstrate how obsessed they are with puskbikes.

lloyd_jeff

The Ice Arena proposal Appendix 6 will be discussed confidentially, it has been for the last couple of yrs. Yes the meeting will be asked to approve the facilities preferred operator. If it was to be to kept as the existing facility in its current form & only have the 2nd pad repurposed there would be no need to keep those discussions confidential. The fact that they remain so makes me nervous as the appointment of the new operator maybe operating a facility with no ice.

Wannabe2

The Ice Arena proposal Appendix 6 will be discussed confidentially, it has been for the last couple of yrs. Yes the meeting will be asked to approve the facilities preferred operator. If it was to be to kept as the existing facility in its current form & only have the 2nd pad repurposed there would be no need to keep those discussions confidential. The fact that they remain so makes me nervous as the appointment of the new operator maybe operating a facility with no ice.
That won’t happen in a million years,after the last fight, is this just a wind up statement as usual to try to get people on edge which you like to do.

Kevlar68

I'm not nervous. If the arena was utilised properly with a good marketing team it could be a good profitable business but as it stands it seems no one can be bothered to put the effort in.
The main stumbling block is access via public transport. You can get to Mermaid Quay easily but to get to the IAW hardly anything goes past it and the transport that does is very few so to get to the venue for events, nights out etc is a pain in the arse, that's why the WNIR was such a great venue, you couldn't be any more central.