Any sign of the new D man?

Wannabe2

Sheincar said:
Chris said:
But Popes actual wording was that they were looking to have someone fly in, and they were trying to make it happen.

There's not actually been a statement saying someone would definitely, 100% be in for tonight, or even tomorrows game has there?

That doesn't excuse all the other messes that have been created by Pope & co so far this season.

I don't think having one extra player for tonight or tomorrows game would help us against the Giants who are pretty much nailed on for league winners this season, and if taking a bit longer means we don't end up with another player who's carrying an injury then that can only be a good thing surely?
Agreed but they should never have raised the expectations that a new player would be in by tonight.
And thats exactly where they fall down, Wednesday was to me the worst attendance since the lock out season, lots of fans are mega cheesed off with weird decision making, and when things are finely balanced as they are making statements that may not come true only allienates fans further. If something aint set in concrete then surely saying zip all is the correct course, instead of carrot dangling.

I'm not so sure the low attendance mid-week was because of fans protesting, or even because the prices were too high. In fairness to PR, he did drop prices to £15 per ticket in the latter half of the 11/12 season and it made no difference to attendances.

I think it's just because we now offer live streaming of the games and a lot of people chose to stay home and watch with it being mid week. Happy to be proved wrong though if anyone has the streaming figures!

Either way I hope we can get a new D man in quickly. Its good that we are still looking to tap into the European market as well.

drainage

Wannabe2 said:
Sheincar said:
Chris said:
But Popes actual wording was that they were looking to have someone fly in, and they were trying to make it happen.

There's not actually been a statement saying someone would definitely, 100% be in for tonight, or even tomorrows game has there?

That doesn't excuse all the other messes that have been created by Pope & co so far this season.

I don't think having one extra player for tonight or tomorrows game would help us against the Giants who are pretty much nailed on for league winners this season, and if taking a bit longer means we don't end up with another player who's carrying an injury then that can only be a good thing surely?
Agreed but they should never have raised the expectations that a new player would be in by tonight.
And thats exactly where they fall down, Wednesday was to me the worst attendance since the lock out season, lots of fans are mega cheesed off with weird decision making, and when things are finely balanced as they are making statements that may not come true only allienates fans further. If something aint set in concrete then surely saying zip all is the correct course, instead of carrot dangling.
For the record I wasn't there as I have to work away every week exactly same reason I can't make next weeks game ...I don't disagree reducing prices may have made a difference but lets not assume it made a difference for everyone ?

I also saw the announcement as would like to have not will have new player ....guess it's how you read things that form your views

I want the extra D man as much as anyone else just not happy with the constant black mood that seems to be the norm now

Sheincar

shoes_off said:
I'm not so sure the low attendance mid-week was because of fans protesting, or even because the prices were too high. In fairness to PR, he did drop prices to £15 per ticket in the latter half of the 11/12 season and it made no difference to attendances.

I think it's just because we now offer live streaming of the games and a lot of people chose to stay home and watch with it being mid week. Happy to be proved wrong though if anyone has the streaming figures!

Either way I hope we can get a new D man in quickly. Its good that we are still looking to tap into the European market as well.
And that's the reason he gives every time as to why it can't be done. He never answers the question as to why it can't be done as a 1 off. Not even suggesting they use Groupon as I know they get poor income after Groupon take their cut but just a reduced price for that game.

DevilDom

Thread starter #27
I think the low attendance against Fife was the result of hitting a "perfect storm" of reasons why people didn't or couldn't go and precisely why PR should have acted to do something about it.

- cost of tickets
- 1st opportunity for ST holders to express dissatisfaction with management since G etc farce
- midweek game with late start affecting travel of many
- 1st leg of 2 leg tie
- opposition
- timing (2nd week of January)
- opportunity to watch £8 webcast with a group of mates or pay £17 a ticket? No brainer for many.

ASHIPP

Mid week games never seem to be well attended. I don't think it has anything to do with 'ST holder disatisfaction.'....more likely to do with saving money on tickets, the fact it's a mid week game and it's the first leg.

Be interesting to see the attendance for next Thursday's game against Panthers.

Paul Sullivan

ASHIPP said:
Mid week games never seem to be well attended. I don't think it has anything to do with 'ST holder disatisfaction.'....more likely to do with saving money on tickets, the fact it's a mid week game and it's the first leg.

Be interesting to see the attendance for next Thursday's game against Panthers.
I take your points, however a 'crowd' of around 600 is as Wannabe suggests the worst attendance since 2001/2 - Finny? Little help?

There are clearly several factors impacting that attendance, however it does say something that a quarter final of a trophy that the Devils have an excellent history of selling tickets for was so poorly attended. Worst I can remember at the BBT was around 860 for a Hull game in (I think) the 2010-11 season when all that snow nearly halted the entire UK.

I agree with you though that it will be interesting to see the attendance for the Panthers game. Particularly dependant on tonight and tomorrow's results,I would venture.

rolf

We have 3 weeks to find a new body to fill the skates of the injured body we signed to replace Andrew Conboy immediately after we declared that we would fully support him. He was banned by a kangaroo court for 12 matches for an ATTEMPTED infringement of this bush league's rules, whilst others around him received trivial bans for assaults including one to him. We sucked it up and did nothing, Fife appealed and got 3 games lopped off from their lumberjacks ban. You heard it here first, he will likely bully us out of our 4 goal advantage next week because we have no real deterrent and we have allowed a weakened team to play a ridiculous game schedule leading up to this.

I am now awaiting the next few press releases along the lines of 'don't panic mr mainwaring, we will not just sign any old body'.........'there is a guy we are talking to'..............'he has decided to stack deckchairs in Ibiza now'.............'players are few and far between now'.......'we are delighted to announce that commentator Brent believes we can go with what we have and make a marquee signing next season'...............'Cardiff Pointe is now flying up'...........Cardiff Pointe is now so popular we have allowed them to use our new rink space as overspill parking'.................'it's only fair as their building happened before ours'.............'never mind though, good news is that Brent has bought a fez'..........'Devils swapped with a dull retard for a bag of marbles'...............'dull retard proudly announces his 3 year plan'...........'small price increase matches devils walk-up tickets with Arsenal as both purvey their sport in their respective premier leagues of this country'

Nurse = valium please and now.

rolf said:
We have 3 weeks to find a new body to fill the skates of the injured body we signed to replace Andrew Conboy immediately after we declared that we would fully support him. He was banned by a kangaroo court for 12 matches for an ATTEMPTED infringement of this bush league's rules, whilst others around him received trivial bans for assaults including one to him. We sucked it up and did nothing, Fife appealed and got 3 games lopped off from their lumberjacks ban. You heard it here first, he will likely bully us out of our 4 goal advantage next week because we have no real deterrent and we have allowed a weakened team to play a ridiculous game schedule leading up to this.

I am now awaiting the next few press releases along the lines of 'don't panic mr mainwaring, we will not just sign any old body'.........'there is a guy we are talking to'..............'he has decided to stack deckchairs in Ibiza now'.............'players are few and far between now'.......'we are delighted to announce that commentator Brent believes we can go with what we have and make a marquee signing next season'...............'Cardiff Pointe is now flying up'...........Cardiff Pointe is now so popular we have allowed them to use our new rink space as overspill parking'.................'it's only fair as their building happened before ours'.............'never mind though, good news is that Brent has bought a fez'..........'Devils swapped with a dull retard for a bag of marbles'...............'dull retard proudly announces his 3 year plan'...........'small price increase matches devils walk-up tickets with Arsenal as both purvey their sport in their respective premier leagues of this country'

Someone has seen it all before, great post

DevilDom

Thread starter #32
rolf said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rolf, I do love your posts when you are tampin. Put it better than I could anyday of the week, but you missed the bit about us still wanting to win a championship despite being hugely under manned against the teams in our conference!

Finny

Paul Sullivan said:
I take your points, however a 'crowd' of around 600 is as Wannabe suggests the worst attendance since 2001/2 - Finny? Little help?
Confirmed.
Our previous record low attendance (post-2002) was 676 against Hull on 21st Feb 2007. That was our first season in the BBT and we were playing home games twice a week to catch up.

Have Hope#35

Surely now with progression to the Challenge Cup Semi Final and 2 weeks before the First Leg against Belfast we'll try and secure the services of a new D'man!?

Rempel16

So we are now guaranteed a home game against Belfast, an extra gate for the finances... It would be nice to see us speculate with the expected crowd and bring in a proven player that will add to our quality.

Even estimating 600 fans at avg £10 per ticket.... That's £6,000
There are 11 weeks left in the season which affords us the opportunity to offer a contract of £545 per week from that gate alone. Add to the money that Joonas would have earned and it would be reasonable to assume we have around £700 per week to offer - that's a decent contract right there.

I could be way off, and haven't factored in expenses (belfast travel etc) and tax etc, but those figures would be the absolute minimum i'd expect in terms of attendance for a cup semi-final even in spite of the heavy losses at the weekend.
All guess work of course!!!

ASHIPP

That signing deadline is getting ever closer.

The arrival of a new d man and the return of some of our injured players could boost the attendance figures at the BBT for the 2nd leg of the CC.
Whilst Devils would still be the underdogs at least the increase in our roster might make it a more competitive game.

The Team have done the Club proud by getting to this stage despite horrendous circumstances. Time for the Club to show commitment to the Team and its ambitions by bringing in another player.

Last week press release said they were in talks with several targets. A later release said they were still looking.

DevilDom

Thread starter #37
ASHIPP said:
That signing deadline is getting ever closer.

The arrival of a new d man and the return of some of our injured players could boost the attendance figures at the BBT for the 2nd leg of the CC.
Whilst Devils would still be the underdogs at least the increase in our roster might make it a more competitive game.

The Team have done the Club proud by getting to this stage despite horrendous circumstances. Time for the Club to show commitment to the Team and its ambitions by bringing in another player.

Last week press release said they were in talks with several targets. A later release said they were still looking.
Totally agree.

PR needs to support the team and sign a D man that isn't already injured.

Perhaps with a huge pool of contacts lost this is proving difficult and our results of late can't be making us a particularly attractive proposition.

Sheincar

Rempel16 said:
So we are now guaranteed a home game against Belfast, an extra gate for the finances... It would be nice to see us speculate with the expected crowd and bring in a proven player that will add to our quality.

Even estimating 600 fans at avg £10 per ticket.... That's £6,000
There are 11 weeks left in the season which affords us the opportunity to offer a contract of £545 per week from that gate alone. Add to the money that Joonas would have earned and it would be reasonable to assume we have around £700 per week to offer - that's a decent contract right there.

I could be way off, and haven't factored in expenses (belfast travel etc) and tax etc, but those figures would be the absolute minimum i'd expect in terms of attendance for a cup semi-final even in spite of the heavy losses at the weekend.
All guess work of course!!!
You would think there would be a reasonable crowd. However the semi is in the middle of a run of 7 games in 10 nights and attendance may well depend on the results of those games.

Have Hope#35

Totally agree.

PR needs to support the team and sign a D man that isn't already injured.

Perhaps with a huge pool of contacts lost this is proving difficult and our results of late can't be making us a particularly attractive proposition.
Completely agree but if we can sell the chance of winning the Challenge Cup, plus if we move from 8th to 7th in the league then we'd play Dundee in the Playoffs Q.Final at the moment (it's a chance) - There's hope that the season wont be as catastrophic as it appears! I'd also hope that most, if not all of the injured players will be back by the First Leg of the Cup!?

James

Administrator
Sheincar said:
You would think there would be a reasonable crowd. However the semi is in the middle of a run of 7 games in 10 nights and attendance may well depend on the results of those games.
That's the away leg of the semi though