Any sign of the new D man?

DevilDom

Thread starter #1
BP stated they were trying to get a new D man in for this weekend's games. Has anyone heard anything or any idea who it may be?

Tough ask playing 4 games in 6 days with only 4 fit D men.

Ocko

Nothing yet :? We need someone desperately though, more injuries are on the horizon if we don't bring someone in.

They will surely need to drop someone (Max?) back to D. We have enough depth in the forwards to cope, give Piggsy and CJ a regular shift and move Ben up a line to the Myers and Lord line.

For the amount of games Joonas missed for us and now just going home it woudve been worth keeping Conboy. He would've been back before Christmas and played a fair few games since (minus any other suspensions!)

DevilDom

Thread starter #4
Wannabe2 said:
I think Conboy would have turned into our Franchise player.
He definitely had the potential if the management had stuck by him like first stated. Would have loved to see him get some payback on Keefe too. Funny that Nickerson's ban got reduced to 9 games on appeal for something a lot worse than Conboy got 12 games for, but I guess his card was marked.

I think the Joonas signing has been a waste of time and whatever money we had to pay for him - 3 games in 2 months is less than we would have got out of Conboy in the same period.

ASHIPP

It's the haves and have-nots syndrome again. Panthers get to sign a player with NHL experience to replace one of their players within a week. Good for them - they can afford it.

Meanwhile our club appear bereft of even basic additional defensive cover to help our Guys - timing is horrendous with our current injuries and tough game schedule.

Let's hope Devils get someone soon.

Slartibartfast

Ocko said:
For the amount of games Joonas missed for us and now just going home it woudve been worth keeping Conboy. He would've been back before Christmas and played a fair few games since (minus any other suspensions!)
Which means he would probably be banned again by now.

Wannabe2

But Voth was the same until he settled down, from my point of view and its only mine I would have liked to have kept Conboy, sorted his head out, he was a good player enjoyed it here, and for me losing him was a mistake.

DevilDom

Thread starter #8
Wannabe2 said:
But Voth was the same until he settled down, from my point of view and its only mine I would have liked to have kept Conboy, sorted his head out, he was a good player enjoyed it here, and for me losing him was a mistake.
+1

The club probably didn't even cover costs on Wednesday though. The Capitals would've been embarrassed by that turnout. If they're not getting the money in they can't pay it out.

I wonder if the extra income anticipated from Wednesday not being forthcoming has affected plans.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

mazza03

Wannabe2 said:
I would love to have seen Conboy stay he had the makings of another Voth, and I feel he would have settled down after his ban.

Sheincar

WelshHabsFan said:
The club probably didn't even cover costs on Wednesday though. The Capitals would've been embarrassed by that turnout. If they're not getting the money in they can't pay it out.

I wonder if the extra income anticipated from Wednesday not being forthcoming has affected plans.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
No good using that as an excuse. Should have used it as a marketing opportunity & reduced prices to say £12 for adults & £1 for kids. Club always dismiss this but have never tried it for a 1 off game.

Wannabe2 said:
I think Conboy would have turned into our Franchise player.
I think you're right, he could have but I don't think the league would have allowed that to happen. His card was marked from pre season. Regardless of his actions, how long would he have lasted the other week against Sheffield?? Wouldn't have been surprised if had been called for boarding Andrew Lord

Sheincar said:
No good using that as an excuse. Should have used it as a marketing opportunity & reduced prices to say £12 for adults & £1 for kids. Club always dismiss this but have never tried it for a 1 off game.
In fairness I don't think the club has used it as an excuse, just me thinking out loud. It must have been a disappointment if they thought some extra cash could part-fund a newbie. You however are completely correct.

They used to have great success with Groupon and Living Social and them. Then would've been a good night to have run a deal through one of those.

Sheincar

WelshHabsFan said:
Sheincar said:
In fairness I don't think the club has used it as an excuse, just me thinking out loud. It must have been a disappointment if they thought some extra cash could part-fund a newbie. You however are completely correct.

They used to have great success with Groupon and Living Social and them. Then would've been a good night to have run a deal through one of those.
Yet; won't be shocked if that's the next statement.

ASHIPP

The news of Joonas's return home and the search for a replacement defenceman was released by the Club AFTER the game on Tuesday. Even yesterday there was a statement to say that the club was talking to potential targets.

They certainly have had time by now to figure out by now whether there are sufficient funds available.....and therefore sufficient time to withdraw any statements that they are looking for a player.

Sheincar

All they had to say was that they were releasing Joonas and would bring in a new defenceman asap. Instead of which they say new player will be in for this weekend. Over promised & under-delivered again. They just can't stop shooting themselves in the foot & if they're paying someone for this awful public relations, then that person should be next out of the club.

Chris

Administrator
But Popes actual wording was that they were looking to have someone fly in, and they were trying to make it happen.

There's not actually been a statement saying someone would definitely, 100% be in for tonight, or even tomorrows game has there?

That doesn't excuse all the other messes that have been created by Pope & co so far this season.

I don't think having one extra player for tonight or tomorrows game would help us against the Giants who are pretty much nailed on for league winners this season, and if taking a bit longer means we don't end up with another player who's carrying an injury then that can only be a good thing surely?

Sheincar

Chris said:
But Popes actual wording was that they were looking to have someone fly in, and they were trying to make it happen.

There's not actually been a statement saying someone would definitely, 100% be in for tonight, or even tomorrows game has there?

That doesn't excuse all the other messes that have been created by Pope & co so far this season.

I don't think having one extra player for tonight or tomorrows game would help us against the Giants who are pretty much nailed on for league winners this season, and if taking a bit longer means we don't end up with another player who's carrying an injury then that can only be a good thing surely?
Agreed but they should never have raised the expectations that a new player would be in by tonight.