Alternative Elite League Player of the Season Awards

E.D.S.

Thread starter #1
I started this on another thread but it got lost amongst the other posts so thought I'd start if off here (apologies mods and feel free to take it off the other Awards post). This is just a bit of fun. The Alternative Award categories are:

1) Worst signing in the league?
2) Worst Elite league decision?
3) Dave Simms worst piece of commentary?
4) Worst game this season?
5) Time to retire award?
6) Man of feathers award?

Chris

Administrator
Maybe Rod Hinks, as nice as he may have been, possibly the biggest letdown, at least from a Devils perspective.

Not to ban Sharp for the rest of the season, not to cite Sheffield for their continual lies (see the Sheffield are liars thread) and to ban Voth for things which didn't happen...

I don't watch the SKY show, but some of his comments made about the Voth/Dangerknee incident were absurd.

Cardiff v Hull. 1-0 after something like 58mins and then an empty net goal from Hartwick to win it. Guh. 2nd leg of the BK cup comes close now, possibly as the most disappointing game though.

5) Time to retire award?
Bob Phillips/Dave Simms, although if Phillips left perhaps Simms wouldn't be so anti Devils? The quicker they(he) leave(s) the sport and take(s) their(his) ridiculous agenda with them(him) the better. :?

Sharp. Has he won a fight this season? He's tried to fight our whole team apart from people we've signed as enforcers. Sigh....

Chris. :D

Ndur

Reducing Thornton's ban

N/A - they're spot on.

Sheffield vs Edinburgh (1st game of the season), Cardiff vs Newcastle the other week (4-1). The first time in 15 years I've ever left a game early through sheer boredom.

5) Time to retire award?
Rob Wilson

Bruce Richardson.

Holl_5 said:
Ndur

Reducing Thornton's ban

N/A - they're spot on.

Sheffield vs Edinburgh (1st game of the season), Cardiff vs Newcastle the other week (4-1). The first time in 15 years I've ever left a game early through sheer boredom.

5) Time to retire award?
Rob Wilson

Bruce Richardson.
1. Sharp by a long shot,
2. Not banning sharp from league, banning Thornton for apprently taking out hulls keeper.
3. every word that comes out of simms mouth is B.S
4. not seen many games and all were decent standard.
5. Rob Wilson
6. Scott Basiuk, How many times has he not fought anyone from our team, he likes to throw his wait around (cheaply) but never steps up to it, complete donkey

nmase20 said:
Holl_5 said:
1)
N/A - they're spot on.
Really??? how deluded are you?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with his radio commentary, which is all I can base it on as I don't have Sky. His and Seth Bennett's coverage of Steelers away games is top notch and much better than the football equivalent on Radio Shuff. I also don't think I've heard him call a helmet a hat, or a powerplay a power-kill. :lol:

As far as Simms as a person is concerned, I'll give you that...but you don't have to like someone to respect that they are good at what they do. For instance, Brad Voth is a perfect example for me. I don't like him as a player, for obvious reasons being who I support (as kindly pointed out) but I'm not blinkered enough not to see that he isn't a great captain and enforcer.

So back to the point - I don't like Simms, but there is nothing wrong with his radio commentary. I'm basing my point on that rather than the cack published in the local rag. If that makes me deluded, then I'm happy with that.

Holl_5 said:
nmase20 said:
Holl_5 said:
1)
N/A - they're spot on.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with his radio commentary, which is all I can base it on as I don't have Sky. His and Seth Bennett's coverage of Steelers away games is top notch and much better than the football equivalent on Radio Shuff. I also don't think I've heard him call a helmet a hat, or a powerplay a power-kill. :lol:

As far as Simms as a person is concerned, I'll give you that...but you don't have to like someone to respect that they are good at what they do. For instance, Brad Voth is a perfect example for me. I don't like him as a player, for obvious reasons being who I support (as kindly pointed out) but I'm not blinkered enough not to see that he isn't a great captain and enforcer.

So back to the point - I don't like Simms, but there is nothing wrong with his radio commentary. I'm basing my point on that rather than the cack published in the local rag. If that makes me deluded, then I'm happy with that.

Simms talks rubbish every week, its ok for a Steeler Player to knee players and simms not say anything but when out Captain who stands up for our team does this then he gets slated by simms, Simms slags Voteh off every wek and is it not Sheffield who try to sign Voth every single year??
Simms = Idiot, its why i do not watch the Sky sports games because of him

he is always biased and always comments on steelers, he shows footage of steelers one week and no other team in the league? why i ask??? its an elite league show not the Sheffield Steeler show

anywhoos back to the topic!!

Why did u pick Bruce Richardson as a feather may i ask??

Cookies_naughtyboy said:
Simms talks rubbish every week, its ok for a Steeler Player to knee players and simms not say anything but when out Captain who stands up for our team does this then he gets slated by simms, Simms slags Voteh off every wek and is it not Sheffield who try to sign Voth every single year??
Simms = Idiot, its why i do not watch the Sky sports games because of him

he is always biased and always comments on steelers, he shows footage of steelers one week and no other team in the league? why i ask??? its an elite league show not the Sheffield Steeler show

Why did u pick Bruce Richardson as a feather may i ask??
Indeed, and I agree with the above, but then that's his opinion rather than his commentary. I won't defend him over his opinion any day of the week, but you can't take anything away from his commentary of the actual games.

Bruce Richardson: Has been beaten 3 times by Finnerty (who might struggle to punch his way out of a paper bag), was beaten on his own ice by Newcastle's British boy Dean Holland, and he couldn't even beat Basiuk on Saturday night. After all the hype of 'We have someone lined up to deal with Finnerty' I found it highly amusing that he had 3 goes at it (once getting an instigator) and then gave up in the last 3 games of the series. Evidence : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrCvjbpJ ... re=related Haha.

TheStub

With Dave Simms commentary - he just doesn't shut up.

He is there to do play by play, and there is a guy sat next to him to add expert opinion who can't get a word in edgewise.

Then it turns into Dave and Chums, or Dave Simms Memory Lane - as he goes off at huge tangents.

Overall, he isn't too biased - considering how bad he could be. :lol: It is definitely Shuff centric, but he is normally fair, and he tends to be quite praising of Voth on the show. Shocked the hell out of me :lol:

Jeff Hutchins - how that cancerous, two-bit EPL import still gets a job is beyond me. It's no coincidence Newcastle have nosedived since he got there. Honourable mention to Stevie Lyle - all that money for the worst #1 goalie in the league?
Not enforcing the wage cap, though we should have seen this coming a mile off.
None - I think he's great, inside the commentary booth or outside it.
Sheffield vs Belfast, 5-0 to Sheffield - Giants put in the worst performance I have seen by any team in fourteen years of watching the sport.
5) Time to retire award?
David Longstaff. Too banged up and his time has passed.
Jason Rushton. Hyped to hell by Giants fans and media because they've not had a decent physical presence since Schulte retired, utterly dire player in the flesh and a pretty awful fighter to boot. Stop trying to replace Paxton. You never will.

Gazza272

nmase20 said:
Holl_5 said:
1)
N/A - they're spot on.

I think your getting your Simms mixed up. As a Steelers PR man he's a nightmare and really really gets on my nerves.

as a commentator though you have to give him credit, as an estate agent to be able to comment differently on Radio and TV is no small feat at all. Is he perfect? lord no and i would love to try and nab his job as a commentator on sky :lol: But i will give him a lot of praise for his work on commentery.

But in many ways a lot of us on here can be as blinkered towards him as he is to other clubs in his role as press officer of the Steelers......