All things being equal...we still need another Brit forward?

Thread starter #1
Morning All,

With Chris Blight's signing today, it looks like we might have recruited a player to light the lamp on a more consistent basis - something that was noticably missing last year after Pelle's departure.

Indeed, the 2 new import signings look pretty impressive - adding to the returning quality we've secured.

Appreciating it is still relatively early in the off-season - a concern in my head at the moment is the vacant wing slot on the 3rd line.

I know that quite a few slots are still open at the moment - but all things being equal i'd hazard a guess at the line-up looking something like;

K Smith - New Import
M Smith - Import (possibly Chris Frank?)
G Adams - J Batch

Birbraer - Faulkner - Blight

New Import - Macrae - Hill

McKenzie - Davies - ???

Now I like Adam Harding a lot - he skates well, plays with his head up and has been taught in North America to finish all his hits. He's got a whole heap of potential. However, in my mind he's not ready to take a regular shift on that 3rd line unit.

My reason for this; Harding did play a role in the run-in and play-offs - he did earn his place ahead of Tim Burrows and Sam Smith. He was though, playing on a line with Scott Matzka - a 2-way centre so good that he could have probably got Brad Gratton and Trent Anderson to the NHL.

Suddenly, Harding would be on a line with Ben Davies as his centre. Now everyone (including myself) loves Ben Davies and recognises his potential to be an elite brit in this league. However, he himself will be embarking on his first full season as an Elite League centre-ice - and Ben himself admits he still has work to do on the defensive side of his game.

Our 3rd line could potentially be scored on quite frequently.

I guess there is the option of Bari MacKenzie stepping up a line (like he did with the Capitals) and playing with Stu and Phil Hill - with an import on the 3rd line. I've got a hunch that G won't do this though - because Hill, Stu and a consitent import winger looks to have a nice balance about it for secondary scoring.

Adams on the 3rd line wing slot? Possibly - but I like the idea of him going back to play on a denfensive unit with Josh Batch to continue that player's rapid development.

So who takes that 3rd line slot...and who is available that we could possibly get?

Cheers,

John

Skippy

Re: All things being equal...we still need another Brit forw

Guess alot depends on if we run with 10 or 11 Imports ?

Hynod

Adams was quoted in a video/article as stating he will play alongside Ben and McKenzie on the 3rd line and he will be bringing in 2 more D men.

Blight - Mac - Max
Import - Import - Hilly
Adams - Ben - McKenzie
Harding - ? - Piggott

Smith - Smith
Batch - New Import
New Import

Osaer

Gazza272

bridgedevil said:
Aren't the smith brothers on record as saying they are best not paired together?
I believe they are, I would like to see Kenton paired with Batch its a pairing I think where Batch would have to use his size more which I think will be vital in his second year as part of his progression.

kettdevil1

Hynod said:
Adams was quoted in a video/article as stating he will play alongside Ben and McKenzie on the 3rd line and he will be bringing in 2 more D men.

Blight - Mac - Max
Import - Import - Hilly
Adams - Ben - McKenzie
Harding - ? - Piggott

Smith - Smith
Batch - New Import
New Import

Osaer
Aside from splitting the Smiths up I am not convinced that the forward lines will be as stated. G traditionally likes well balanced lines so I can see McKenzie being pushed to line up alongside Phil and (presumably) Stu. From what I remember of McKenzie he is of a similar type to Ben and I am worried that this would put too much on G's shoulder to create the space.

Hynod

I was just Naming the players rather than putting in lines.

Thread starter #8

Hynod said:
Did he? Not that i'm doubting you - my computer was having difficulty buffering the interview so I don't think that I caught it all. I was working on the basis that at the 2 fan events this summer, G seemed to suggest that he would be playing as a d-man.

I do think it's a shame/slight problem if we only go with 5 d-men. I know that this was common practice for us until 2 years ago - but with us not carrying a spare import and likely not having spare money available to 'get cover' mid season - going with 6 d-men allows us some flexibility to push an Adams or Frank up top without leading to a massive amount of double-shifting on the back end.

Any Brit D-men still available?

Economics might dictate we're not - but to my mind we're 1 brit short based on current thinking.

Cheers,

John

Finny

With the ability to sign an extra import defenceman to replace Richardson, I wouldn't be surprised to see G start the season on the 3rd line right-wing. His versatility means he can drop back into defence should any injuries occur and be replaced by Harding/Piggott.

Then again, those two both had strong finishes to last season so maybe he will go for three strong lines of D with Harding/Piggott rotating on the 3rd line.

Either way, I'm liking the look of our team so far. Ideally Stu will return to the 2nd line alongside Hilly and we can sign a big enforcer alongside them.
On D, I'd like to see us sign a top quality offensive Dman with similar ECHL/AHL experience as Blight - potentially on a Uni deal. Then I'd go for another big nasty Dman who will clear the crease and smash players into the plexi/ice/stand. Wouldn't be dissapointed to see Frank return for this role.

From what I hear, I see the lines looking something like this:

Hill - Stu - Blight

Max - Faulkner - Import

Mckenzie - Ben - Frank (yes playing forward)

Harding and Piggot, 10th and 11th.

Weller - Smith

Smith - Batch

Adams - one of the four double shifting.

Jones72

BrentisGod said:
From what I hear, I see the lines looking something like this:

Hill - Stu - Blight

Max - Faulkner - Import

Mckenzie - Ben - Frank (yes playing forward)

Harding and Piggot, 10th and 11th.

Weller - Smith

Smith - Batch

Adams - one of the four double shifting.
Meanwhile...back on planet Earth...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard that Frank was in talks about coming back as a third line forward.

I would be happy to see us line up with that mix of imports; Frank could cover D with Adam or Luke stepping up to give the defence a bit more depth.

jimmy snels

Surely we could actually, amongst all the imports that are out there, get a power forward who is actually .... a forward?! :shock:

But could we get one on the reduced wage that we have (allegedly) offered Frank and would they have the luxury of covering D as well (something lacking in our forwards so far)?

When Frank played on the wing I was impressed with him and the line of him, Ben and G scored three(?) goals in a period against the Blaze.

jimmy snels

And he also took hundreds of Pims whilst fighting 4times? Im sure i would want a bigger, more effective power fwd than that.on D i get if he was cheap why we'd take him especially as he was a good man in the dressing room but as a fwd i would want so much more

He seemed to take less cheap minutes as the season went on, the red mist seemed to become less frequent!

I understand that we would want more, but if G had a budget for 10 imports we might not be in a position to pick up someone like you want to be effectively a ninth forward.

TheStub

Also, didn't Frank play as a forward at AHL level?

He'd certainly give us some options, and would be more able to enforce if he wasn't our go to D man.

I'm OK with the idea. Not jumping around dancing, but certainly far from dismissive.

Skippy

Re: Re: All things being equal...we still need another Brit

TheStub said:
Also, didn't Frank play as a forward at AHL level?

He'd certainly give us some options, and would be more able to enforce if he wasn't our go to D man.

I'm OK with the idea. Not jumping around dancing, but certainly far from dismissive.
I'm sure I read that he did play upfront somewhere.

I'd not be unhappy if Frank the way he was towards the end of the season came back

I'd also like to see Frank back and for the Brit what about Jamie Hayes ? I heard he had a good season in the ENL ?

Gazza272

WE can surely do better than to bring someone back who has hardly ever played as a forward cant we?

If we are going to re sign Frank I would much rather see him in his natural D position.