Adams to play as 11th import Next Season

I don't think it's a bad idea. If G gets his coaching wage and plays for a small amount, then there's more room in the budget for a strong import.

And I think when he played last season he gave us that burst of intensity that he demands as a coach.

James

Administrator
G will play 100% on every shift and tends to bring that out in whoever is his linemate. I'm happy with this call. It's also sensible finances. If crowds continue to be strong, from what I gather, he will drop back to the bench and we will get someone else in.

Gazza272

slapshot said:
Source: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/ice ... -26196208/

personally i think this is a bad idea. Adams does a much better job from the bench and is getting to old/slow to compete at this level.
Old? He aint even 33 yet :shock:

Hard to get the puck off of, sees the ice well, will give 100% and is as mean and nasty as they come. Will cut himself for a better player if he gets the nod to do so.

Cant see the problem myself.

I think it's s good move from G also. I actually thought he should have iced himself more while our form was poor and also for the second leg of the CC final. The guy is a leader on the ice and that's invaluable.

No wage cap this year means it's purely down to what the club can afford and I'd much rather he had a bit more cash to throw at some high end players than have to spread it out on an additional import. If crowds keep improving, I'm sure we'll see G move for another player down the stretch.

On another note, i guess this means we'll go with 4 import d men, meaning we'll need 2 UK trained forwards to make up the top 9.

ASHIPP

Everytime G played in a Devils' match last season, he not only raised the game but presented a composed, disciplined presence. Leads by example with 100% grittiness and one of the best passers/blockers of the puck around. No-brainer - it'll be great to see him out there. Thornton and Neilson managed to combine coaching and playing - G has proved he can do the same.
It suggests in the article that it might change and might be able to introduce another player dependent upon the finances. A prudent and responsible move by the Club over taking care of the finances - and utilising G's other skills as a player.

I also think it is a good and sound idea, G played very well when he had to ice last year and certainly seemed to motivate the team.

Financially it is a sensible move, and as long as we keep the attendances up and hopefully increase season ticket sales we may have the money for another player (if we need one)

Rempel16

slapshot said:
Source: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/ice ... -26196208/

personally i think this is a bad idea. Adams does a much better job from the bench and is getting to old/slow to compete at this level.
Too old and slow??????

Age is a number for me, if you're good enough and effective enough i don't care how old you are...

I agree that speed can be an issue as players get older, however, G's game has never been built on speed. As a d-man he is very good at reading the game and gets himself into the right positions and so speed has never been a factor.

Had he stated he would be playing up front then I would be more inclined to agree with you as his forward game relies heavily on his ability to turn the puck over on the forecheck. But defensively, I don't think it's a bad decision at all and I look forward to the steady and calming influence that he brings to the blueline....... At least until the red mist comes down!!!!

kettdevil1

Soundwave1 said:
On another note, i guess this means we'll go with 4 import d men, meaning we'll need 2 UK trained forwards to make up the top 9.
Yes that was my thinking, presumably that will mean that we will have 3 lines of D with Richie and either Stoney or Symonds being the 6th player.

I personally think this is a terrible decision, I think we need our coach on the bench, the players look for direction and you just can't do it as well on the ice. I'm not doubting his passion for playing and he always gives 110% but if you're giving 110% to playing how much you giving to coaching the team at the same time?

Kipper

My guess is that G will not ice much unless there are injuries/suspensions but he is quality cover if needed and could even roll as a third line d man to give others a rest.He would probably ice for no more than 10 minutes a game unless in an emergency and would have plenty of opportunity to watch from the bench. Where's the problem? It's about maximising available resources.

Kipper said:
My guess is that G will not ice much unless there are injuries/suspensions but he is quality cover if needed and could even roll as a third line d man to give others a rest.He would probably ice for no more than 10 minutes a game unless in an emergency and would have plenty of opportunity to watch from the bench. Where's the problem? It's about maximising available resources.
How are we maximing available resources if we've got an import who is only going to play 10 minutes of a game. I'm basing this on the case we have the finances to cater for 11 imports, I have no idea what the budget looks like but if we have surely this is a huge waste for 10 minutes a game?

Kipper said:
How are we going to challenge for honours if we've got a part-time player an/or part-time coach? I just can't see how this is a good idea. We obviously can't afford to compete with the big guys so why does our management team keep insisting that we can challenge for the league etc? Getting to two finals is good but over the long run we were miles behind the top 3 in the league.

Ger-Devils

Have you read the interview? Franny done alot of the coaching on the bench, G was a player for most of the year but took the bad knock up in Sheffield in Jan so not really skated since and carried on his role as coach.

He also states that if game attendances and finances are all good then they will look at bringing in the 11th import to finish the season off etc.

Our finances are no where near as rosy as say Panthers/Giants/Blaze or Squeelers so it does also help this way. We don't have to pay so much for a coach as he is splitting duties really.

I'm glad we have him as a player as he makes sure the team step up when he is on the ice and his never say die attitude is great

Gazza272

El Supremo said:
Kipper said:
How are we going to challenge for honours if we've got a part-time player an/or part-time coach? I just can't see how this is a good idea. We obviously can't afford to compete with the big guys so why does our management team keep insisting that we can challenge for the league etc? Getting to two finals is good but over the long run we were miles behind the top 3 in the league.

11 points off of top spot was 'miles'? thats three good weekends.

I hate these debates really as i think some people are moaning about imaginary things.

It seems quite clear we HAVE to have G as an 11th import, we havent got the budget to ice 11 imports of teh same standard unless G is one of them. It's not like we are signing Andrew Sharp to play D! we have a guy who has won trophies in this country as a player and was wanted by some really top notch coaches in his time on these shores.

G has proven in the past that as soon as he can he will be a full time coach again, i honestly fail to see what the problem is here? Did having a player coach affect Belfast this season? or Nottingham?

kettdevil1

Totally agree with Gazza. The other great advantage of G being back is his flexibility - he can move from Forward to Defence and hence, cover if necessary.

Putting things in perspective Belfast finished 1 point off the top with McMorrow on the roster.... I would far rather have G than the Deputy.... :lol:

osh

Ger-Devils said:
Have you read the interview? Franny done alot of the coaching on the bench, G was a player for most of the year but took the bad knock up in Sheffield in Jan so not really skated since and carried on his role as coach.

He also states that if game attendances and finances are all good then they will look at bringing in the 11th import to finish the season off etc.

Erm, sorry Ger-Devils, but have youread the interview. He doesn't actually say if attendances and finances are all good then they will look at bringing in the 11th import to finish the season off. That implies that he will only be looking to bring a new import towards the end of the season.

He says that as the season progresses the club will assess how things are progressing with attendances and 'other areas' ( by other areas I think he may be refering to what position we are in the league around about December time.) I interpret that as seeing if we really need a new import ( it will be the 12th as Adams is the 11th) and he will then de register I suppose as a player. You are right when you say about him coaching more in January, and we steadily stopped the boat from rocking and had a good end to the season, food for thought possibly. I personally think he should stay in his suit and coach, go with a solid 10 imports better than we had last season) and he can always register as a player and play when necessary.

Finny

I'm actually going to disagree with Kipper for once and say that I feel G will ice more than 10 minutes a game. No he is not going to be on our top D line or playing much on the PP, but I would still expect him to ice a regular shift and get some time on the PK.

The increase to 11 imports is widely rumoured to allow all teams to bring in an enforcer/fighter/character/entertainer to help bring in the crowds like McMorrow did for Belfast - whilst not having to reduce the standard of the league by cutting some of the more skillful players.

The Devils though have had Voth in their team structure for the past couple of seasons. If he comes back - we don't need to use that 11th spot for an entertainer. Even if he doesn't come back - then we will hopefully just swap like for like. Voth is rumoured to be one of highest earners so we shouldnt have too much of a problem finding a fighter who can score too.
I could be wrong - but as Adams was a spare import for most of the season I can't imagine we will be paying him a massive increase in wages this season.
So whilst other teams will either have to increase their budget from last season to add an 11th import or make cuts in other areas - we are effectively getting ours for no increase. So any additional increase in budget from last season can be spent on making the rest of our imports a better quality.

We had requests during the season of an additional fighter in defence who could divert some of the attention from Brad. When MacIver was suggested as a rumour for the 11th import then the general concessus was that he wasn't a good enough defenceman.
Let's be honest here - G is a far better defenceman that MacIver. He is also willing to fight pretty much anyone - he took one for the team last season by fighting both McMorrow and Richardson. If we have someone yapping off this season he can do the same and if he is our 5th defenceman as I assume - then we can let him sit in the box with one of their impact players whilst keeping our top 2 defensive lines untouched.

If G is our 11th import and 5th defenceman then we will have the best 11th import and 5th defenceman in the league. Although he is probably still good enough to be in the top 4 D.

Finny

osh said:
He says that as the season progresses the club will assess how things are progressing with attendances and 'other areas' ( by other areas I think he may be refering to what position we are in the league around about December time.) I interpret that as seeing if we really need a new import ( it will be the 12th as Adams is the 11th) and he will then de register I suppose as a player.
I took 'other areas' to mean sponsorship and other financial input. Though you could well be right.