6 imports to go...

Rempel16

Thread starter #1
So 6 imports to go.... 3 forwards, 3 defencemen.

I'd like to see Haddad back in the forwards and potentially Russell too.

If not Russell, then Asselins teammate in Denmark (and in Germany), Corey Quirk, who looks like another winner that could make a big impact here. Issue would be that Culligan would be pushed out to the wing, so perhaps our centres are all done?

For the final forward import, i'd be looking for that grit/tenacity/influence/mega toughness of a power forward for the 4th line, someone in the mould of Jay Rosehill perhaps?
(Some will disagree but i want us to emulate what Nottingham have done with Cam Janssen). What's Brian McGratton up to? :D

In the defence, I'd like to see Hotham and Hendrikx back. Then i think we have room for another physical d-man, a real no-nonsense shut-down player who can assist in keeping the opposition honest. A 200 game AHLer would be the dream.

Who'd be a coach eh?

Devil94

So 3 forwards and 3 d-men. For the forwards, I would like to see one skillfull playmaker, one power forward that can play, and one big body that is more suitable for the tough stuff.

Someone like Cory Quirk would be great, but he's signed up in the DEL for next season. Haddad would be fine by me for the power forward. And then a nutter for the third, a guy that can be a franchise player.

Difficult to say about the d-men. As long as there's a good balance and mixture of size and skill, then happy days.

osh

Haddad is already listed on the Devils roster for next season ( have I missed an announcement ? )
Am I correct in saying that leaves 5 more import slots ?
3 D to come in and 2 Forwards

osh

Ben said:
Haddad was announced on social media around 11am, Osh
Cheers Ben. I posted without seeing any social media news. Would just say that now that Haddad ia confirmed for next season, we really need very very good signings ( 5 imports ) to finalise the squad.
What would I like to see ?
2 big forwards who can look after themselves and stand up to the new big defencemen who have been signed by our rivals. As for the 3 D men, well, I'd certainly take a re focused Hotham back, and 2 big D men who will concentrate on defending first and foremost, be able to drop gloves as and when necessary , and are used to playing on larger lads such as ours ( not just the one D man like we had to rely on last year with Hendrikx who had to do too much of the rough stuff that should have been shared around ) we need a D man to gel with Fournier ( i.e more of a solid stay at home D man to cover when Fournier goes on his forward travels ) the other D man would be someone who clears traffic in front of our net, and doesn't take any crap from forwards screening in order to ensure Bowns gets a clear sight of shots coming in. Not too much to ask for is it ;)

Jonesy83

I hope at least two off them are big and tough buggers as we need some toughness. One a power forward in the salters mode and one tough no nonsense d man to shift traffic from in front over the net.

terry hunt

This post is prophetic 6 imports have gone so far.

Marsh,Hudson,Walton,Hendrixx,Hervato and Salters this from a team that came second in the

league and only needed tweaking.

Have Hope#35

terry hunt said:
This post is prophetic 6 imports have gone so far.

Marsh,Hudson,Walton,Hendrixx,Hervato and Salters this from a team that came second in the

league and only needed tweaking.
3 of those were spares for most of the season due to horrible injuries so we'll only need to replace 3 in theory!

Devil_Abroad

Walton was injured and extra, Hervato wasn't planned. However we're not sure that Russell is back as if we're going with rumours he isn't. Also, Kurka not looking to be coming back either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

terry hunt

I asked about Kurka and Russell because if they are not returning that makes 8 imports going.

This dont look like tweaking to me more like Cardiff City behaviour.

Mega Monday announcements included Hervato lets hope Mega Friday is better as we appear to

be losing players faster than we can sign replacements at the moment.

First game is a month this weekend.

Have Hope#35

terry hunt said:
I asked about Kurka and Russell because if they are not returning that makes 8 imports going.

This dont look like tweaking to me more like Cardiff City behaviour.

Mega Monday announcements included Hervato lets hope Mega Friday is better as we appear to

be losing players faster than we can sign replacements at the moment.

First game is a month this weekend.
Really not sure what your concerns are? We need 4 Players, 1 of which we announce today! We have kept our starting nettie and 4 of our 6 D'men from last season... Myers is an extra and CJ and Piggie return, plus of the 10 Imports we will sign as Forwards we already have 6 back from last season with a gem like Asselin to add to that. All going swimmingly if you ask me and that's with the main core of players from last year returning!

ASHIPP

[qute="Devil_Abroad"]I don't follow? We've only lost Hervato?!!! The Hendrikx move looks more like a decision to release than lose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]

That's right the club would have been aware/involved in the Hendrikx situation a few weeks ago.....and probably identified potential replacements .....and that player may already be signed.

The biggest challenge now is replacing Hervato.....because it was an unforeseen departure and he is a dual national. It may actually effect a decision or two about final signings because of the EU passport rules.

The Devils no doubt will be on the case. They will be well aware of the pre-season schedule and training dates. There are so many good players still unsigned in Europe persuading them to the UK is the challenge!

I agree with you - no need for folks to press the panic button.

pjj365

Just a general point

Whilst I accept that quality players are not too plentiful within the ranks of domestic players why does it always seem to be that fans (of all clubs) behave as if imports are compulsory. The numbers are maximums not requirements

Devil_Abroad

ASHIPP said:
[qute="Devil_Abroad"]I don't follow? We've only lost Hervato?!!! The Hendrikx move looks more like a decision to release than lose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's right the club would have been aware/involved in the Hendrikx situation a few weeks ago.....and probably identified potential replacements .....and that player may already be signed.

The biggest challenge now is replacing Hervato.....because it was an unforeseen departure and he is a dual national. It may actually effect a decision or two about final signings because of the EU passport rules.

The Devils no doubt will be on the case. They will be well aware of the pre-season schedule and training dates. There are so many good players still unsigned in Europe persuading them to the UK is the challenge!

I agree with you - no need for folks to press the panic button.[/quote]Agree :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DevilDom

pjj365 said:
Just a general point

Whilst I accept that quality players are not too plentiful within the ranks of domestic players why does it always seem to be that fans (of all clubs) behave as if imports are compulsory. The numbers are maximums not requirements
That's a very good point. Would people be happy with say someone like Ben Davies being signed instead of an import? Whist his salary may not be any cheaper than say a 3rd or 4th line import, he would not need accommodation and all the other associated import costs and may free up some of the budget.