2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

Devil_Abroad

Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

Ben said:
If the signing of David Brine is true, what sort of player have we got?
A Russell replacement but taller - good defensive 2 way centre - will be killing penalties and checking - plus scoring points - my own thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree, a shut down player who covers zone to zone and will play further down the lines. A big body but not overly physical and will chip in with his share of modest points. Only problem I see is that Myers would probably centre the 3rd, so not sure of his line mates. Anybody got any ideas??

Gazza272

danhall76 said:
Great player. Not looking forward to playing the Clan though!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I am.

Wind them up and watch them go, Finnerty's teams have notoriously been known for losing their heads when things don't go their way.

Let Ulmer, Martin etc flash a few pucks past them and watch them rack up the penalty minutes.

In saying that Braehead have to be massive favorites to win it this year.

Ibbz9

For all the "toughness" in previous Devils teams, the trophy cabinet is pretty empty. A faster, more skilled team is the way forward, especially with most games being played on large ice. People need to distinguish between fighting and toughness as thet do not always go hand-in-hand. You can be tough but not really a fighter.
As I have said previously, players do not get intimidated. They would not be playing at EIHL if they did. They would have been found out long ago.
The fighters have to have willing opponents. It is pretty rare for a known fighter to drop their gloves and jump a guy not known for fighting.
Like it or not, it is on its way out. Fighting in the NHL is down nearly 50% with no increase in other penalties as many suggested it would. Even the LNAH has seen a decrease.
I think fans will be surprised at how different the game is to watch on Olympic ice. Far more space, with bigger offensive/defensive zones. It is natural that body contact will be reduced. The way the make up of this team is, looks set up perfectly for big ice.

Gazza272 said:
danhall76 said:

I am.

Wind them up and watch them go, Finnerty's teams have notoriously been known for losing their heads when things don't go their way.

Let Ulmer, Martin etc flash a few pucks past them and watch them rack up the penalty minutes.

Agreed, they don't have Meyer or Keith anymore and Hendrikx - if intended as Keith's replacement - is a known quantity.

Have Hope#35

sionlikesmusic said:
Gazza272 said:
danhall76 said:

I am.

Agreed, they don't have Meyer or Keith anymore and Hendrikx - if intended as Keith's replacement - is a known quantity.
Keith has re-signed and he's a Forward so Hendrikx wouldn't have been his replacement.

I would like to see the new signing as being a tough guy, not an out and out toughie but someone who can play a bit to.

There will be a time when a fight in games will be necessary, whether its because of what an opposing player has done, whether its because we need a spark or simply laying down a marker.

If we are going to rely on Batchy & Louis then this will be a long season.

You can have as much skill as you like but the good teams will be able to stop you and when they do you have to have a different option. I don't see we have that right now.

Finny

Gospel said:
I would like to see the new signing as being a tough guy, not an out and out toughie but someone who can play a bit to.

There will be a time when a fight in games will be necessary, whether its because of what an opposing player has done, whether its because we need a spark or simply laying down a marker.

You can have as much skill as you like but the good teams will be able to stop you and when they do you have to have a different option. I don't see we have that right now.
Did Sheffield have a different option last season?
All I can remember is them having 3 solid lines of scoring.

Mooney#16

I'd agree but for Steelers signing Desbiens and gassing Duco seemed to really turn there season around. First quarter last year they were pretty inconsistent and woeful at times. No denying Desbiens brought them a strong physical dynamic to the front end.

Devils have the tools but Lordo and Haddad are going to have to forget about production to a point and get onto the body on the fore check real fast and hard.

Finny said:
Gospel said:

Well they won the league, dug results out when they mattered, got the dirty play done and had the tools for all occasions. I think that says it all. Last season we didn't have all of the tools and I don't we will this season either. In fact I think we will be lucky to finish top 3. I hope im wrong though.

Devil94

Gospel said:
Finny said:
Gospel said:

Well they won the league, dug results out when they mattered, got the dirty play done and had the tools for all occasions. I think that says it all. Last season we didn't have all of the tools and I don't we will this season either. In fact I think we will be lucky to finish top 3. I hope im wrong though.
You have seen our roster, have you??

From today's interview with Lord it is clear he likes what Brine brings, but also that he still, either has a style of player he would like to see join up to the squad, or a specific player.
It's as if he's saying there are some guys out there thathe would hate to miss out on. They are definateiy not saying this will be our final signin. Interesting