2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

terry hunt

I have had second thoughts about TK's comments on EIHL suppose they are straight.

Sign Ben Davies on a 1yr or temporary contract allowing us to run 4 lines early and preseason

when we will need skill players against the europeans. This would also allow Ben to have a shop

window for clubs to take a look at him especially if he is looking to try the ECHL.

In September/October the NHL/AHL and other top leagues will have completed their training

camps and there will be many players reassigned or looking for clubs so could become inside our

budget.

Having said that the EIHL are reporting the Glasgow press as hinting that Ben is coming back home.

august04

Devil94 said:
Wannabe2 said:
Not really if you ran with a spare import.???
If we're thinking of starting the season one import down I don't think starting with a spare import was ever in the question.
Let's see about that...if we feel we need toughness, it might be the only way if they can't find a tough Euro. Things have changed on the recruiting front since mega Monday. The only other way would be for Lord to concentrate on coaching but I don't think he'll do that.

Have Hope#35

august04 said:
Devil94 said:
Wannabe2 said:
Not really if you ran with a spare import.???
If we're thinking of starting the season one import down I don't think starting with a spare import was ever in the question.
Let's see about that...if we feel we need toughness, it might be the only way if they can't find a tough Euro. Things have changed on the recruiting front since mega Monday. The only other way would be for Lord to concentrate on coaching but I don't think he'll do that.
But the interview with TK was very recent and that was the one that suggested starting the season an Import light and potentially hiring Ben to cover? That just backs up Mega Monday's message that we wouldn't run with a Spare, some may hope it's a smoke-screen but unfortunately for them I doubt it... TBH I don't like running with a spare unless it's to cover an Injury that exists (Like Marsh & Wally).

All the comments from Lord, Todd and Steve are consistent on one thing, we don't currently have any offers out to anyone, or any real targets..
Most recently, Steve seems to have been cooling expectations of a big name enforcer type up front and now Todd is confirming we are certainly considering either running an import down, or signing Ben and leaving optons open.

Those would seem to be the facts and if we sign Ben, short or long term, it would seem odd to do that while considering a very diferent style if player if he left.

Also, if we did sign Ben, even though we would still have the option of an extra import, we would not have the space on 4 lines would we, therefore even with only our permitted number of imports we would always have a spare who was expecting a place on the roster.

Have Hope#35

august04 said:
Kelman's interview was recent but so were the different comments from Lord and Steve King!
As I said, let's see....
Lordo and Steve only said we were looking though... Which i'd guess we are! If someone with an EU Passport doesn't fit though then TK's comments apply. I agree we have to wait and see, I still don't think we'll run with a spare though!

Have Hope#35

Devil94 said:
Hang on, don't the rules say there has to be 3 EU players in the roster? Meaning we can't start with one import short.
No... They are just limits! We could start with no EU Players and a Roster made up of Brits and 11 Full Imports. Or a Roster of Brits and 14 EU Imports, the only limit is the 11 Full Imports, the rest is flexible.

Devil94

Have Hope#35 said:
Devil94 said:
Hang on, don't the rules say there has to be 3 EU players in the roster? Meaning we can't start with one import short.
No... They are just limits! We could start with no EU Players and a Roster made up of Brits and 11 Full Imports. Or a Roster of Brits and 14 EU Imports, the only limit is the 11 Full Imports, the rest is flexible.
I see, thanks.

Gazza272

ASHIPP said:
Devil94 said:
David Brine has signed in the uk.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=14084

He's a forward, with an EU passport. More of a defensive forward, Ryan Russell type. Who knows...
A few Elite League teams still recruiting forwards notably Cardiff, Belfast, Nottingham.
Experienced, winning centre with an EU passport.

Given we already have 4 centres i would be surprised if this was our guy.

However with limited EU options it might not be a bad shout.

ASHIPP

Gazza272 said:
ASHIPP said:
Devil94 said:
David Brine has signed in the uk.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=14084

He's a forward, with an EU passport. More of a defensive forward, Ryan Russell type. Who knows...
A few Elite League teams still recruiting forwards notably Cardiff, Belfast, Nottingham.
Experienced, winning centre with an EU passport.

Given we already have 4 centres i would be surprised if this was our guy.

However with limited EU options it might not be a bad shout.
Some of those centres can also play equally well as wingers - the team is stacked with balance and flexibility amongst the forwards this season. :D

If Brine has signed as our 4th liner it would be huge. 303 games in the AHL and 9 NHL followed by some competitive European leagues since. His AHL PPG of 0.33 are not too far off Ulmer who averaged 0.51. Don't see how this guy is a 4th liner myself but boy would I want him as a 4th line centre! Definitely the type of signing that would round out our roster perfectly for me. Would give us 4 genuine 2-way centres, 3 of them over 6ft. Personally can see him signing with panthers or Belfast as a higher line centre, but until they announce him, I'll live in hope!

Devil94

Belfast announcing a signing tonight, can see him being it. I agree he is too good/high profile player to be on our 3rd/4th line, but the market for what we are after is very small..

Devil_Abroad

Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

Darkest_Peru said:
If Brine has signed as our 4th liner it would be huge. 303 games in the AHL and 9 NHL followed by some competitive European leagues since. His AHL PPG of 0.33 are not too far off Ulmer who averaged 0.51. Don't see how this guy is a 4th liner myself but boy would I want him as a 4th line centre! Definitely the type of signing that would round out our roster perfectly for me. Would give us 4 genuine 2-way centres, 3 of them over 6ft. Personally can see him signing with panthers or Belfast as a higher line centre, but until they announce him, I'll live in hope!
Elite Prospects have him confirmed as signing to a club in March - so definitively not us then

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad said:
Darkest_Peru said:
Elite Prospects have him confirmed as signing to a club in March - so definitively not us then

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The link on EP to the Frankfurt site says that they decided not to offer him a new contract in March, rather than he signed elsewhere in March. His agents website changed his status to TBA (UK) last week, so it looks like he has only just signed.

Gazza272

ASHIPP said:
Some of those centres can also play equally well as wingers
i think this is where you and I differ ASHIPP. I like players who play in their natural role, I'm not sure who out of Myers, Culligan, Ulmer and Martin would look decent on the wing.

Ulmer possibly as he is an unknown quantity, but with his experience i'd like to see him in his natural role.

Ocko

Agree Gazza. In particular defensively there is too much of a difference to swap between the roles. I also don't think I've ever seen Myers or Martin play on the wing either. Culligan has played there very infrequently mostly either D or C. At this level it isn't really an easy transition to switch from one to the other and I think that's where teams lose their balance and chemistry on lines.