2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

Devil_Abroad

Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

ASHIPP said:
noodlesboy said:
Ervins Mustukovs rumoured to be on his way to Sheffield. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13476
Steelers to make double signing annoucement on Wednesday. Steelers' twitter and Simmsey hint one could be netminder?
And the other Fretter maybe? Though there's an extra one for Thursday too now? I believe their roster is nearly complete isn't it after this week?

ASHIPP

Devil_Abroad said:
ASHIPP said:
noodlesboy said:
Ervins Mustukovs rumoured to be on his way to Sheffield. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13476
Steelers to make double signing annoucement on Wednesday. Steelers' twitter and Simmsey hint one could be netminder?
And the other Fretter maybe? Though there's an extra one for Thursday too now? I believe their roster is nearly complete isn't it after this week?
They still have Eddy, Vestberg and Coyle to confirm or replace. And replacements for Moyer, Pinc, Stromberg, Legue and Sarich/Hewitt (not sure which one Davey Philips has replaced.) So a few new faces to be announced.

terry hunt

My thoughts exactly i wonder if anyone fancies him to coach the Devils.

He of course scuppered our league chance last season and our playoffs the year before.

The GB players seemed impressed with him and he has expressed a wish to stay with GB.

Devil94

We're always being told how good a coach he is, but two eighth placed finishes are the reality. Managed to get his players very prepared for the play offs, as we found out too well, but what about the other 60 games in the year. Lord out coached him on nearly every occasion.

Can't see how he and Lord could work together. Surely it's either or. Unless Lord is down to a player assistant coach to get the best of both worlds. But I would have thought, like last season, Todd would like to spend the money we have on the ice.

Strange he took the GB job though if he knew he was off.

Would be good for lord's development for sure. Keep lords as player assistant coach with a generally successful coach to mentor him. May be worth a gamble

ASHIPP

Tinkyadrian said:
Ive just seen a rumour on Twitter saying chuck to Devils as director of hockey.
Wrong on all levels. An 8th position coach influencing a player/coach who lead his team to the final stages of all competitions last season. Weber 'parted ways' with the team he was with before coming to the UK.
And what becomes of Neil Francis, our current director of Hockey in that case?

Rumour of Danny Stewart as new coacnh of Blaze seems to have legs.

august04

When the new ownership took over, they replaced Whistle with a player coach for budgetary reasons. I don't believe that's a problem anymore, given the fact that we carried spare imports last season. I think Lord needs to carry on playing but his game undoubtedly suffered last season. He needs the weight of sole coaching responsibility to be lifted from his shoulders. That's not an admission of failure however and I hope he would welcome the opportunity of working with an experienced full time coach like Chuck Weber (or whoever).

Electro

Budgets and strategies all play a part.

If you put Lewis in a prius he ain't gonna beat many, but don't assume him being in a prius is a set back, unless you know the true agenda.

august04

ASHIPP said:
Tinkyadrian said:
Ive just seen a rumour on Twitter saying chuck to Devils as director of hockey.
Wrong on all levels. An 8th position coach influencing a player/coach who lead his team to the final stages of all competitions last season. Weber 'parted ways' with the team he was with before coming to the UK.
Whether Weber is the right man or not isn't for me to say, but are you really suggesting that a rookie coach would not benefit from working alongside a man of his experience who has worked in various roles from Assistant coach, head coach and VP Director of hockey operations in leagues like the ECHL, AHL and KHL? I'd be looking at his overall career coaching experience rather than a couple of poor years with the Blaze (which however included a play off win and knocking us out this year), given the changes that their organisation has been through this past couple of years, compared to their glory years. His recent GB experience might help us recruit some decent Brits too. I'd welcome it.

It was confirmed at the awards night that Lord is staying as head coach which in my opinion is the correct decision. If they bring in someone to help him then I can't see it being a bad thing but I can't see Chuck coming to Cardiff to be an assistant coach.

Have Hope#35

Tinkyadrian said:
It was confirmed at the awards night that Lord is staying as head coach which in my opinion is the correct decision. If they bring in someone to help him then I can't see it being a bad thing but I can't see Chuck coming to Cardiff to be an assistant coach.
This ^

Electro said:
It may well have been confirmed at the awards night, situations and circumstances can change.

They have that prerogative.
Very true Electro but it wouldn't look good on Todd after what was said on the night which was something like He and the owners have 100% faith in Lord and Lord will stay as head coach for as long as he wants to be in the position. So unless Lord has decided to stand down (I really hope he hasn't) then I can't see Todd and the owners going back on what was said.