2015/2016 Rumour & Offseason Random Shenanigans

Have Hope#35

Devils set to announce a Player Signing today:
‏@cardiffdevils · 21 minutes ago
Today is going to be a happy day in Hell - Devils signing news coming up later today...

My guess would be Hendrikx!

Have Hope#35

douchen91 said:
Kurka maybe? Not sure if this is anything new but I just noticed that his Twitter says Cardiff as his location...
Think this was discussed somewhere else... Don't believe it's been updated since he played for us, he doesn't really use Twitter if you look at his recent activity!

DevilDom

If its not Hotham I would like to see a big tough player whether it be D or forward. Given recent signings around the league a lot of teams have upgraded from last year, particularly in the toughness department and I don't want us to get left behind.

d20

Welcome back hendo.

I think we will see Hotham and Culligan back and that will then give us 1 slot poss 2 left and think one of these has to be a passport holder,so cant see many new faces in.

Have Hope#35

icehockeymad said:
God I hope we got an enforcer up our sleeve!!
Otherwise salters will be in the box more than playing which isn't good
I disagree... Fighting is fairly rare these days, lots of scuffles but if we need someone to step up we have options! Hendrikx, Batchy, Marsh, Lord, Salters and Hudson can all look after themselves and out of them Hendrikx will be straight in if anyone takes the pi$$. I think one of the remaining forwards needs to be a big tough player who can look after himself but not an enforcer, someone like Szwez!

zoesdevil

Have Hope#35 said:
icehockeymad said:
God I hope we got an enforcer up our sleeve!!
Otherwise salters will be in the box more than playing which isn't good
I disagree... Fighting is fairly rare these days, lots of scuffles but if we need someone to step up we have options! Hendrikx, Batchy, Marsh, Lord, Salters and Hudson can all look after themselves and out of them Hendrikx will be straight in if anyone takes the pi$$. I think one of the remaining forwards needs to be a big tough player who can look after himself but not an enforcer, someone like Szwez!
I agree, perhaps get a big hard hitting centre who's tough but doesn't have to be an enforcer, just makes a nuisance of himself & scores goals & draws penalties from the tough guys in other teams who want to fight him. This would work more to our advantage.

what worries me is if we don't make some top signings ie ex nhl or ahl players then I think we could well struggle next year.we have the smallest team in our conference which doesn't bode well as we ran out of steam at the end of last season.nottingham have a whole line of top end brits and play 4 lines,how can we compete with 3 lines?to add to that Coventry,braehead,sheffield,belfast and Nottingham have made some top import signings Imo if we don't follow suit then it could be a miserable season for us next season.I thought that when myers left he would be replaced by a top end brit but surprisingly he wasn't.of course this is just my opinion and I hope im totally wrong but at the moment im just a bit worried.

Ocko

Agree with you to an extent and squad size, although 4 lines isn't worth it in our league as we don't play enough games. But IMO, releasing Myers was a huge mistake. I think we've made good signings but I thought not signing Matt was so that we could break the bank on a couple of real stars with big pedigrees.

bdevil

I think that may still happen.
I have a feeling Hotham and Culli will re-sign and we'll sign 2 new players, 1 import and 1 EU passport holder. I know that will make us 1 import heavy but that's how we were during the second half of last season after signing Markku.
Am I right in thinking if that happens it will mean 1 import will not be able to ice each game? If so, surely that can work to our advantage in case of injuries, fatigue etc.

Have Hope#35

bdevil said:
I think that may still happen.
I have a feeling Hotham and Culli will re-sign and we'll sign 2 new players, 1 import and 1 EU passport holder. I know that will make us 1 import heavy but that's how we were during the second half of last season after signing Markku.
Am I right in thinking if that happens it will mean 1 import will not be able to ice each game? If so, surely that can work to our advantage in case of injuries, fatigue etc.
I think if that happens then Culli will be the spare to start with to allow him to get back to full fitness! He may even not be announced until Xmas or something? I'd expect 3 Newbies, however I'd love Hotham to return.

Devil94

Do we actually know if this Culligan injury is serious? I have not seen anywhere stating that it was a long term injury, sorry if I missed it. He missed the last game after getting injured two days before, if it was mid season, he might have missed a week then return to full fitness.

I think we have lost Hotham if I'm honest. I think he'll go to a higher league in Europe. Maybe that's why Lordo has gone for a lot of goals in the forwards, to make up for Hothams. Especially if the rumours about Kurka returning as the EU.nWe might see a tough mean guy on d to replace him.

ASHIPP

It is looking likely now that the team could have lost Andrew Hotham. If that's the case it's a massive blow but not suprising...he is too talented for this league and teams around Europe would have identified his skill and level of experience. His replacement is going to have to be as good if not better....a tough recruitment challenge for the club.

The departure of Myers was not a suprise...he missed a third of the season with suspension and injury. The club obviously want value for money and consistency...I am guessing Myers was one of the top earners on the team. It could be that other British players didn't want to uproot and come to Cardiff...or had better offers. But there is no doubt that Myers is an excellent centreman and outstanding on the face off plus brings physicality. Another one tough to replace.

Whatever the situation, the club are no doubt aware of the improvement other teams have made. Devils have already done that by attracting 2 new forwards. Got no reason to believe
they won't continue their excellent recruitment.

Wannabe2

ASHIPP said:
It is looking likely now that the team could have lost Andrew Hotham. If that's the case it's a massive blow but not suprising...he is too talented for this league and teams around Europe would have identified his skill and level of experience. His replacement is going to have to be as good if not better....a tough recruitment challenge for the club.

The departure of Myers was not a suprise...he missed a third of the season with suspension and injury. The club obviously want value for money and consistency...I am guessing Myers was one of the top earners on the team. It could be that other British players didn't want to uproot and come to Cardiff...or had better offers. But there is no doubt that Myers is an excellent centreman and outstanding on the face off plus brings physicality. Another one tough to replace.

Whatever the situation, the club are no doubt aware of the improvement other teams have made. Devils have already done that by attracting 2 new forwards. Got no reason to believe
they won't continue their excellent recruitment.
Why does it look like the club has lost Hotham, he hasn't signed for anyone else yet.???

For me its all down to how Lordo and Franny want the team to play this year. Last year we went for a tough team that could also score. Our penalty kill was good last year, but being the 2nd highest penalised team in the league meant that we were fairly well practised at it. They may look at playing even more of a speed game and try and draw more penalties. On our small ice the more times your a man up the better and our PP at home last year was fantastic. In terms of needing big physical players i would look at Sheffield. They managed pretty well last year with a team which on paper was not that intimidating physically. I think the way the other teams are recruiting is in some part down to how the Devils managed to intimidate teams right from the off last year and they are reacting to that.
I do agree that some high quality signings have been made across the league but we do not know how well they will fit in. A lot of them are enforcers who arent going to contribute much in the way of points, i certainly dont think Westgarth hurt us that much last year.
We have a team that performed incredibly well in their first season together. The majority of the team are back for next season with some good additions. Im sure there will be at least one or two big names still to be announced (fingers crossed) Lets go Devils!!!!!!!!