2012/13 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

TheStub

Thread starter #443
Hynod said:
Weaver to Devils announced 6am tomorrow :S
Not a bad move really.

He's not the power house he was, but a solid Brit to fit in with the rest of our set-up. Been a captain and won championships.

Would certainly be an interesting signing if you get Weaver. Even a year ago, he was the bees-knees in our eyes so I wouldn't be surprised if a new challenge did bring the best out of him. In particular if he was a number 3 or 4 defenceman with less pressure on him to run the PP and play the key shifts. And we all know decent Brits don't grow on trees.

wildthing74

I agree J.B a year or so ago he was the man and pretty much seemed to play like a quarterback controlling the game from the back but I would say maybe EPL is his best bet at 35.

Koop11

Weaver has been Britain’s best defenseman for many years but I think his age and injuries have caught up with him and that showed last season. Richardson for me is Britain’s best defenseman, albeit a different style of player to Weaver.

I wouldn’t be overly keen on signing today’s Jonathan Weaver. However, one asset he could add to this club is something we desperately need. A quarterback on the blue line directing our PP. Legue and Tait do it in Sheffield, Neilson in Nottingham and for many years Weaver in Coventry. Other than the season we had Weller, he have not had anyone stand out in this role probably since Vez.

I don’t see an aging Weaver coming to Cardiff. At the right price I would pick him up but I think he will still demand a healthy wage, even at his age. We are investing in our future of young Brits. This is the way forward.

ASHIPP

Wannabe2 said:
Cant see Weaver to Cardiff in a million years to be honest, he will still need tidy money, and our future surely lies in the youngsters.
For me, the arrival of Weaver or any other experienced Elite League defenceman at the Devils would signify only one thing.....the departure of Mark Richardson to pastures new. :shock: A thought too uncomfortable to contemplate for too long. :evil:

Realistically, other clubs probably have the budgets to accomodate Weaver on their roster.
Two questions would immediately spring to mind anyway:

1. Despite all his experience and leadership qualities, he has sustained two serious injuries in the last two seasons. Not physically the player he was, and surely a gamble for any club. :?

2. Why is he departing the Blaze after being so intrinsically involved in that Club? Is it case that PT wants to rebuild his team and feels that Weaver is not part of that?

ASHIPP said:
Wannabe2 said:
Cant see Weaver to Cardiff in a million years to be honest, he will still need tidy money, and our future surely lies in the youngsters.
For me, the arrival of Weaver or any other experienced Elite League defenceman at the Devils would signify only one thing.....the departure of Mark Richardson to pastures new. :shock: A thought too uncomfortable to contemplate for too long. :evil:

Realistically, other clubs probably have the budgets to accomodate Weaver on their roster.

1. Despite all his experience and leadership qualities, he has sustained two serious injuries in the last two seasons. Not physically the player he was, and surely a gamble for any club. :?

2. Why is he departing the Blaze after being so intrinsically involved in that Club? Is it case that PT wants to rebuild his team and feels that Weaver is not part of that?
That is the exact reason. Thomo wants to go with younger brits this year. Owen left for family and travel reasons and Weaver just wasnt the same player he has been. Im fairly certain Cowley wont return either meaning a whole new look to the Blaze roster.

voth26

bigmo said:
ASHIPP said:
Wannabe2 said:

That is the exact reason. Thomo wants to go with younger brits this year. Owen left for family and travel reasons and Weaver just wasnt the same player he has been. Im fairly certain Cowley wont return either meaning a whole new look to the Blaze roster.
And that's what G and franny are doing so not sure he would be a fit here

Skippy

Wouldnt want weaver he's not been the same the last few seasons, with injury and stuff.

But if Thommo is silly enough to let Cowley go and we do end up losing Richie..

Cowley would be a good pick up

IF we do lose richardson, as huge a blow as that would be, life goes on, right? So you look for a replacement. Not easy. If your looking for a Brit as a replacement, then good luck. If Weaver is available and interested then, yes ! Go for it. A gamble? Definitely, but for me, one worth taking.
Will you find a Brit alternative who comes remotely close ?
Risks sometimes have to be taken, nobody gets anywhere by sitting on the fence ...

wildthing74

jester said:
He's only 35 not 900, :shock: Rebek was 36 last year, as JB says if hes not expected to be a top D man he will be an excellent pick-up
35 or 900 he ain't the player he was and he has lost the ability to control games.Nothing wrong with that and he has nothing to prove,you just need to see his CV and his medals.
For me I think he would be one of the top guys in epl just like Longstaff and would maybe extend his career by a year or two?I bet he would welcome the shorter road trips around the m4 corridor too.

Foxy

I said at the end of last season the only two players id take from Blaze is Guthrie, who is staying, and Cowley. Looked good in Devil colours last time round.

Weaver if replacing Meyers is a bad move from Neilson. Weaver is coming to the end of his career and injury prone but id take Meyers as a replacement for Richardson who i cant see in Devils colours next season unfortunately

Foxy

Also hearing too many times for my liking that our owner is having an influence on player signings. Employ your coach and let him do his job without interference.

Foxy said:
Also hearing too many times for my liking that our owner is having an influence on player signings. Employ your coach and let him do his job without interference.
I have heard that the owner is only interested in what is best for the team; making sure their travel and visas get sorted, ensuring they have equipment and such to garauntee they can take to the ice when they arrive, Sorting out hotels and maybe some flights so the schedule next year doesn't half kill them, cover for possible injuries next year, plenty of stick tape/skate laces so nobody has to scrounge them from wherever. I have heard he is not trying to control every aspect of the club himself and taking advice from all sorts of people that have been around for ages and have a wealth of knowledge. I have heard he knows lots about the actual sport including a rule. I have also heard he is not an arrogant Richard who listens to everyones opinion and doesn't just act instantly when a cartoon lightbulb appears above his head regardless of any possible outcome.

It does say absolute nonsense in the thread title!