2012/13 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

Finny

So if no reason was given for Sam being turned away from the coach, where has the suggesion come from that it was for turning down a fight?

Paul Sullivan

I humbly suggest two things, devilsfan666:

Post only what you saw or heard yourself and not what you are told. Your passion is admirable however you could easily come a cropper.

Respect that what happens in the room should stay in the room. There are things, however much a fan we are, that should always be kept private on a team.

I am of the belief that any coach, or player who discloses private matters like this from the room is in the wrong. But I am pretty old-fashioned that way :D

DevilDom

devilsfan66 said:
The screaming fit he recieved from franny in the changing room after the match
So a player got shouted out by a coach? Wow! Stop the press! I think if this part of your accusations then a few people need to man up, including some fans. Truth of the matter is after a great 1st season, Sam has fallen down the pecking order. Other young players out-performed him this season and he, IMO did not show enough fight (excuse the pun) to hold onto a regular place on a regular line. If he is throwing his toys out of the pram (and i'm not saying he is) because the coach had a go at him then he still has a lot to learn.

rocketbob

devilsfan66 said:
The screaming fit he recieved from franny in the changing room after the match
Sir Alex is famous for giving his players the 'hairdryer treatment'. He seems to be doing alright and doesn't get vilified on their fan forums. This is professional sport. It is not all 'excuse me awfully, but would you kindly like to improve your performance in this specific area'?

Anyway, whatever the truth of his whole matter is, I agree that this should have stayed 'in the room'.

James

Administrator
Agreed. Can we leave this now and move back onto topic by posting (possibly wildly innacurate but amusing) rumours about signings.

wildthing74

This Sam Smith talk needs a thread of it's own!
I can't believe anybody really believes G/Franny would let a talented young Brit leave after 1 incident alone?I thought at the time Sam was wrong in not stepping up,after all the young Hull urchin did ask him to his face so not just on the back of what he did to Ben.
For my money I would point to the seemingly lack of hunger displayed by Sam most of the season.The same hunger that he displayed in forcing himself ahead of Ben at the start of 2010-11 when it was stated that it was between him and Ben for that 3rd line slot.He then got his head down and rightly took the 9th forward slot.Too often last season he looked slow and unfit and went missing in games.
I think a lot is down to attitude and wanting to prove your point.I would say now is his chance. Hopefully it can be worked out as I'd rather we keep all our Brits but if he has to move to come back stronger maybe he needs to look at the little guy who he dislodged just over a year ago.

Ocko

If Adams or Franny want to give a player a rollicking for not fighting that's completely their prerogative and is exactly the same as a letting a player know they've made a bad play. Sam would be far from the first player to get a telling off for it; imagine if a player had not fought in one of Maxwell's racer teams!

If Adams wants a team who will fight when required then that's completely up to him. We are hardly a team of goons, and after 7 years in Cardiff and even more in hockey I think I'd trust his judgement in these situations (if there even is one) more than fans who are upset at how poor old Sam was spoken to - bless him! Im sure sam is over it. Hes a young player and obviously learned because later in the season was first in to G's defence in melee and got a 3rd man in game penalty.

Ocko said:
If Adams or Franny want to give a player a rollicking for not fighting that's completely their prerogative and is exactly the same as a letting a player know they've made a bad play. Sam would be far from the first player to get a telling off for it; imagine if a player had not fought in one of Maxwell's racer teams!

If Adams wants a team who will fight when required then that's completely up to him. We are hardly a team of goons, and after 7 years in Cardiff and even more in hockey I think I'd trust his judgement in these situations (if there even is one) more than fans who are upset at how poor old Sam was spoken to - bless him! Im sure sam is over it. Hes a young player and obviously learned because later in the season was first in to G's defence in melee and got a 3rd man in game penalty.

:DWD

your missing the point, it's not how he was spoken to, or that he got a telling off. It's quite right - that is upto G, if he wants Sam to fight, as his coach, Sam needs to take that on board to an extent.

The problem, is not G. The problem is Franny, not the way he spoke to him either. But waiting until someone turns up the following day after having his telling off ( where it should have been dealt with and sorted at the time ) and then saying "right lads, let's go". "Wait sorry Sam, your not coming " is totally unnacceptable. That is what is said to be Sam's problem, and why he will not work with Franny.

Maybe I am viewing it the wrong way, just bitterly disappointed that because of poor, poor man management as such, we lose one of the brighter young talents in the league. Can't believe that I'm the only one that can see this . . .

Rempel16

But it's already been said by another poster that they heard a different story.... That being Sam turned up late for the bus that day. IF that's the case, then the management had every right to tell Sam he wasn't travelling.
devilsfan66, you are clearly keen to blame Franny for this one, but all of his decisions are surely endorsed by G, so really it is the both of them that you should be aiming this at.

All rumours anyway...

As for my own thoughts, I thought Sam Smith's puck control and positioning was off the pace for Elite League hockey this season. In fairness to him, he looked as though his confidence was shot to bits.
However, having fought so hard for that 9th spot last season, it seems he wasn't willing to apply the same work ethic this time around.

Back on track, I think Adam Miller would be a perfect replacement for Matzka. Very good numbers in ECHL and has a small amount of AHL experience. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=17807

Or how about Yannick Tifu who also put up good numbers in the ECHL last year and is the more physical of the two players. He has a lot more AHL experience and has been known to drop the gloves on occasion as well. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=14726

Shawn Limpwright is a good little LW from the CHL who had a very good season points-wise last year. Seems in the Birbraer mold and has fought VanderVeeken and Kostadine previously. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=24309

Of course unless I'm psychic there is no substance to these 'rumours'. Just a little bit of research I've done whilst bored at work!!

il probs get slated for it but......

i do rate him as a player,

but he winds me up something chronic,

this i feel something we missed last season,
a player that could just get under everyones skin and draw pens.

would he suite a devils team...... maybe,
only time will tell.

BeatBox said:
Can see Chris banning several posters when he reads this ! :lol:

Jurynec "seen" in Cardiff :shock:
I'd love us to sign a player of this kind of character next year, ideally Derek Campbell (Hull) who is clearly a quality player when he's switched on. He'd be extremely effective in our rink and I believe would become a fan favourite.

However, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we signed Jurynec. Easily the most entertaining aspect of the Blaze games last year and gave it his all every game he played. Two qualities we were clearly lacking last year. If he was the number 2 guy to a legit heavy he'd be extremely effective in that role.

Soundwave1 said:
BeatBox said:
Can see Chris banning several posters when he reads this ! :lol:

Jurynec "seen" in Cardiff :shock:
I'd love us to sign a player of this kind of character next year, ideally Derek Campbell (Hull) who is clearly a quality player when he's switched on. He'd be extremely effective in our rink and I believe would become a fan favourite.

However, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we signed Jurynec. Easily the most entertaining aspect of the Blaze games last year and gave it his all every game he played. Two qualities we were clearly lacking last year. If he was the number 2 guy to a legit heavy he'd be extremely effective in that role.
YEAH WHAT HE SAID!!!!

wildthing74

Either of them 2 would be a disaster.One of them in fairness can at least play a bit the other can't even skate.They are both combatants but jeez I would puke seeing Campbell in our famous shirt.