2011/12 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

Finny

voth26 said:
i have to admit that i have thought of the hope fully unrealistic possibility that we wont have a devils team this season!!!!!!, we have had very very little info regarding new/returning signings,
You have got to be kidding me?
We've got half the team signed up already. It was pointed out last week that we only slightly slower this season in signing up players compared to last season - and I would guess we are probably similar now that we signed Maxi on the weekend.

osh

Finny, your loyalty to the Devils is without question. Now, as you haven't actually answered the question - you have skirted around it - what if the rumours are true?

osh

Finny said:
If the rumours are true we are screwed.

Fair answer. Obviously we all have to hope there is no truth in such rumours, and I would agree with you that the club should not have to respond to every rumour, this rumour seems to be one that could fester and needs to be addressed imo as there are those on here who have heard things from normally reliable persons, so it may very well be the time for the club to clear the air, allay any fears of current season ticket holders and therefore encourage those in doubt to proceed with their purchase of ST's.
I really think a high profile signing announcement may help us all, let's hope such news is forthcoming soon.

Ragan, being the businessman that he is, obviously thought he was on to a money spinner when he acquired the club, which was based on his acquiring the rink, which would undoubtedly be a cash cow for him. Now that this has not materialised, he is possibly realising he is having to put more money into the Devils that he initially thought he would. This would possibly explain the alleged issues CDSL (I think?) raised regarding his registration of the DCF to avoid additional costs and the alleged reduction in the budget.

My opinion and purely speculation!

Mooney#16

Be under no illusions folks the only way Pro hockey in Cardiff will be a money spinner is if the Owner/Operator of the rink also owns the Pro Team. Costs can be balanced. Additional revenue streams fund the team and finances can be closer controlled to a satisfactory profit. Ragan identified this as have numerous other owners before him but everyone of them has run into the same old barrier. The Council. Giving operating contracts to other providers and not allocating the rink tender to the Ragan consortium place him in the same boat as the Temme team, Bob individually and now Paul Ragan.

As it is the Devils are a loss making enterprise and the only things you can do is cut your cloth accordingly and try to hold out for better times or simply sell up. Hockey in Cardiff is at its natural capacity and level and growth/improvement will not come whilst in the BBT. I think fans need to realise that whilst you can hope for the Devils to adhere to the highest standards in on ice performance and off ice professionalism the finances to maintain these standards just might not be there. I'm sure Ragan would love some investment from well meaning fans but people putting there money where there mouth is are fairly short in supply when it comes to the Devils.

Not excusing some issues but when you have players completing studies past seasons end and requiring accomodation which seasons budget is that to come from. Revenue has dried up so its nothing but overhead and loss. The outcry last year when Romfo had his issues was huge but the club has obviously taken steps to address those issues but it comes at what price. Not saying people can't criticise but the criticisms need to be realistic in nature or it is a tad unfair on the Devils.

DevilDom

Finny said:
It was pointed out last week that we only slightly slower this season in signing up players compared to last season - and I would guess we are probably similar now that we signed Maxi on the weekend.
I think the dates you supplied showed we had 7 imports signed up by this time last year along with all our main Brits. All imports were signed up by 15th July with the final 2 Brits (Symo and Ben), signed up by 23rd July so I would say we are a fair bit behind where we were last year.

ASHIPP

I'm curious, one question:

Why do the Sheffield Steelers' fans get the courtesy of a face-to-face 'Fans' Forum' with PR (and Finnerty) which is being organised by David Simms soon? The Devils' fans instead get an on-line Q&A blog where it's easy to avoid dealing directly with those awkward questions from ticket-buying fans wanting answers. :?

I seem to remember much more communication from PR last Summer.....but those were the days when the only priority was the Cardiff Devils. :evil:

voth26

Finny said:
voth26 said:
i have to admit that i have thought of the hope fully unrealistic possibility that we wont have a devils team this season!!!!!!, we have had very very little info regarding new/returning signings,
You have got to be kidding me?
We've got half the team signed up already. It was pointed out last week that we only slightly slower this season in signing up players compared to last season - and I would guess we are probably similar now that we signed Maxi on the weekend.
perhaps should have added a COMPETITIVE devils team :roll: :roll: , regarding NEW signings even you finny have to admit there hasnt been much news around and we dont seem to be linked with many new players, I know things happen in the background. but to us mere mortal fans not in the know it seems quiet. hope that clears my post up for you

Finny

But it's usually like this. We've been linked to quite a few players so far - about the normal you would expect. We've never been like Coventry or Nottingham where fans make up rumours of players they'd like to see.

I struggle to see how we won't be competitive based on our signings so far. We've kept our netminder and defence from a team that was one point from winning the title last year. We've re-signed all our british forwards and the leagues 5th highest scorer. Looking at the other teams so far - I think we're doing pretty well actually.

voth26

finny, we may have kept our defence and our brits and resigned max as well as lyle. for me lyle was very inconsistent last season, defence wise we had weller!!!, the smith bros are very good but neither are extremly physical so i think we need a big bruiser of a d man to balance the d. max is max enough said big hits,goals i would like him to be more consistant this year tho. the brits we have no concerns at all, last year we had pelle/matzka also sir tylor and stuuuu, we already know 2 aint returning and a distinct possibility that 2 more aint going to return as well as the possibility vother is not coming back, now these players all played a big part of what happened last season and are a fair chunk of quality missing from a team who finished joint top of the league also beaten finalist in play-offs. so whilst i trust G and franny to find players and i know they are out there but as your aware they have to be complete ie a fit in the locker room,team players etc you have to admit they have a tall order to find possably 5 players each with the traits these players had. I will quite happily eat humble pie come the season if we a have a team as competitive as last year with the same winning mentality. at the end of the day thats all i want the same as every other devils fan and so far i'm not sure we will unless things change dramaticly in the next few wks. just my thoughts

ASHIPP

It's true it's very quiet on the signings front..... and for most of the EIHL clubs, if you notice. Traditionally, the Devils don't seem to be linked with players until an announcement is virtually made - this is usual. Other fans' forums love to speculate and dream up players and before you know it, a rumour becomes legend! :lol:

At the mo, it's disappointing that all the news seems to be about how Finnerty and the Steelers are doing with their recruitment. Finnerty is very upbeat and direct in his interviews and the 'spin machines' that are Simmsey and the website are working overtime. Anyone else get the impression everything going smoothly and Finnerty appears to have all the resources he needs to recruit the players he wants? :evil:

I am a little unsettled to read press releases about the Devils saying that they came 'close' to signing a player and missed out....it's happened 5 times this Summer. :evil: Whilst it's admirable that they are aiming for quality players and G/Franny are working incredibly hard with the resources they have, as yet, there is nothing to demonstrate that the club has managed to attract any new players to the club, or managed to secure the remaining 3 fantastic import players from last year's terrific team. The absence of that kind of good news only fuels rumours and confusion. :?

Trying to wait patiently for good news - I have every faith that G and Franny will do their utmost :cool:

kettdevil1

ASHIPP said:
Trying to wait patiently for good news - I have every faith that G and Franny will do their utmost :cool:
Likewise.

Isn't it amazing that as soon as Uncle Bob turns up and starts stiring the soup, snippets of information are reported as fact and our fanbase starts turning on itself and fighting on forums.... happens like clockwise.

Anyone else feel as though we are being manipulated?

kettdevil1 said:
ASHIPP said:
Likewise.

Isn't it amazing that as soon as Uncle Bob turns up and starts stiring the soup, snippets of information are reported as fact and our fanbase starts turning on itself and fighting on forums.... happens like clockwise.

Anyone else feel as though we are being manipulated?

Well said , The more you shovel the brown stuff the more it sticks and that man is one hell of a shoveller !!