10/11 Rumours thread - Entirely truthful 10% of the time...

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #241
I totally agree that the forum should debate all sorts of issues - rumour and otherwise. However, let's get this into perspective. There is a big difference between 'rumour' and 'dangerous speculation'. All the alledged wage cut debate has achieved is unsettling supporters who are now concerned whether they have made the right decision to invest in a season ticket - and at the same time this issue has undermined the Club by creating negative publicity at a crucial time when they are signing players for next season.
As for the source of the rumour, it makes not a jot of difference who or where this came from or how 'reliable' they are - there is still no concrete, undeniable evidence yet of something that is a very important issue. It's still all speculation until confirmed one way or the other - and IMHO, unfair to be discussing it when the full picture isn't known. :?

And the new price of the walk-up tickets....still one of the best value ticket prices in the Elite League! :D
But it is a rumour, what myself and Centre Ice posted is nothing but a rumour at the moment. What are the/your rules to differ between rumours and dangerous speculation? Because surely half the posts on this rumours thread would come under 'dangerous speculation' because they haven't been confirmed one way or the other by the club, look at the Jon Pelle rumour for example.

As far as I can see, there have been about 2 or 3 people mention that their season ticket purchase may be effected by the budget rumour, if the club can't come out with something to counter the rumour then there's something wrong. The club have access to the local media to quell a rumour, or their heavily trafficed website, they've done something when 'poppygate' was in full flow, there's nothing to stop them now...

The player signings are a very important issue, if the Jon Pelle, or any of the other player rumours are true and they broke on here first it could have wider implications, or maybe it wouldn't make one bit of difference...

There's also been talk of too many negative rumours, unfortunately there's not a whole lot anyone can do about that unless they suddenly want to leak signed players to get everyone happy again. As it goes, there's more negative rumours lined up than positive ones, they just haven't been posted yet...

Chris.

ASHIPP

Chris said:
But it is a rumour, what myself and Centre Ice posted is nothing but a rumour at the moment. What are the/your rules to differ between rumours and dangerous speculation? Because surely half the posts on this rumours thread would come under 'dangerous speculation' because they haven't been confirmed one way or the other by the club, look at the Jon Pelle rumour for example.
As far as I can see, there have been about 2 or 3 people mention that their season ticket purchase may be effected by the budget rumour, if the club can't come out with something to counter the rumour then there's something wrong. The club have access to the local media to quell a rumour, or their heavily trafficed website, they've done something when 'poppygate' was in full flow, there's nothing to stop them now...
The player signings are a very important issue, if the Jon Pelle, or any of the other player rumours are true and they broke on here first it could have wider implications, or maybe it wouldn't make one bit of difference...
There's also been talk of too many negative rumours, unfortunately there's not a whole lot anyone can do about that unless they suddenly want to leak signed players to get everyone happy again. As it goes, there's more negative rumours lined up than positive ones, they just haven't been posted yet...Chris.
Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect there was a bit more substance to the 'poppygate' issue than a rumour which is why it was clarified quickly.
I would call it 'dangerous speculation' when a debate gathers momentum to the extent where supporter confidence is damaged and some are questioning their own decision to invest in season tickets/buy tickets (and therefore help sustain the Club)....based on what? Totally unsubstantiated whispers. Like someone else said earlier, the quality of recruitment for next season will answer many questions and a decision best left to those whose responsibility it is. :cool:

Anyway, I'll shut up now because I've wailed enough about this subject and I'm obviously outnumbered! :lol:

ASHIPP said:
Chris said:
There's also been talk of too many negative rumours, unfortunately there's not a whole lot anyone can do about that unless they suddenly want to leak signed players to get everyone happy again. As it goes, there's more negative rumours lined up than positive ones, they just haven't been posted yet...Chris.
Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect there was a bit more substance to the 'poppygate' issue than a rumour which is why it was clarified quickly.
I would call it 'dangerous speculation' when a debate gathers momentum to the extent where supporter confidence is damaged and some are questioning their own decision to invest in season tickets/buy tickets (and therefore help sustain the Club)....based on what? Totally unsubstantiated whispers. Like someone else said earlier, the quality of recruitment for next season will answer many questions and a decision best left to those whose responsibility it is. :cool:

Anyway, I'll shut up now because I've wailed enough about this subject and I'm obviously outnumbered! :lol:
I agree with you ASHPP, I'm unable to get a season ticket for my own reasons but I think if I were thinking on purchasing a season ticket and I heard a pretty big rumour that our budget was cut and yet the price of season ticket hasn't really I'd have second thoughts because the big doubt would be is the quality of our team going to be on the same level as last season and also are we going to be competitive. It is a rumour but it's not one the Devils have yet to squash.

David Beauregard to Nottingham Panthers
Dundee Stars to join Eilte league end of April
Martin Cingel new coach of Edinburgh Capitals
Newcastle Vipers Coach to be named soon

voth26

this thread is for rumours both good bad and indifferent, i dont buy a season ticket because of work commitments, but i will still get to a lot of games (not enough to warrent a st though) and usually cost me a bit more thats my choice and thats not influenced either way on rumours,titletattle, etc the fans who posted on here ref may not pay for a st because of possible reduced budgets whilst i accept thats your perogitive how do you know that the budget wasnt reduced last yr from the season before that!!! answer you dont and it probably wasnt but you still bought a st and supported the devils and thats my point sorry if it's long winded but hopefully got there in the end ;) ;)

Wannabe2

Cardiff Devils will not be playing with a reduced budget next season, i have that info from the very best source. The Devils are going for gold and will be putting a very strong team out for season 2010-2011. Thats a fact guys.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #256
I have no doubt the team will be the strongest we can field, to an extent.

As for the budget, as far as i'm concerned it's not a fact until it's confirmed one way or the other, far too many people saying the budget is being cut who haven't been wrong so far...

Chris.

Wannabe2

Fair comment Chris i am just saying what i have been told, as i thought people who are concerned should know. Its not my job to get involved in this, but as a season ticket holder i now know that the team i support will not be cutting any corners or budgets to bring silverware to Cardiff.

Personally I trust Centre Ice as a good source with good links and I also trust Wannabe 2 in the same way and for the same reason. So the fact that they are seemingly contradicting each other about this is a bit confusing too me.

However as someone who works within performance sport, I know one thing, teams (and governing bodies), will never feel the need to tell the fans or the public the absolute truth about certain issues.....and this will be one of them (along with the truth about wage cap breaks/player wages etc, from past seasons).

So, face it guys, I dont see how, or why we would ever know the truth to this and I would be really worried about the internal club structure if this rumour was confirmed either way. All we can do is comment on the team that develops through the summer!

As for not buying an ST due to a rumour that will probably never get resolved, rather than by judging the team that develops, I don't see the logic, just wait a few weeks until more names have been announced (and while the early bird offer is still on) and then make a decision on the evidence that you have.

HC42 said:
Personally I trust Centre Ice as a good source with good links and I also trust Wannabe 2 in the same way and for the same reason. So the fact that they are seemingly contradicting each other about this is a bit confusing too me.

However as someone who works within performance sport, I know one thing, teams (and governing bodies), will never feel the need to tell the fans or the public the absolute truth about certain issues.....and this will be one of them (along with the truth about wage cap breaks/player wages etc, from past seasons).

So, face it guys, I dont see how, or why we would ever know the truth to this and I would be really worried about the internal club structure if this rumour was confirmed either way. All we can do is comment on the team that develops through the summer!

As for not buying an ST due to a rumour that will probably never get resolved, rather than by judging the team that develops, I don't see the logic, just wait a few weeks until more names have been announced (and while the early bird offer is still on) and then make a decision on the evidence that you have.
There speaks common sense. Totally agree.

Finny

Brad Voth's decision to possibly leave Cardiff is due to the fact he has so far been disappointed in the new Doctor Who series.